By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A PS3 price drop?

I dont know if sony will do a price drop or not this year. But I'm guessing sony will turn a profit in early to mid 2008 if they dont do a price drop. (on each unit sold)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

I seriously don't see a price drop in the PS3's near future. Sony can't reasonably drop it yet. The PS3 is worth $600, I honestly don't see a price drop making any sense. It's not too expensive for the system, just too expensive for me.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said: It's not too expensive for the system, just too expensive for me.
And that's the rub, so to speak. You're not alone.

BenKenobi88 said: I seriously don't see a price drop in the PS3's near future. Sony can't reasonably drop it yet. The PS3 is worth $600, I honestly don't see a price drop making any sense. It's not too expensive for the system, just too expensive for me.
There's a good chance they will scrap the cheap one, and leave only the 60gb, and sell it for 500 this holiday. (if their not selling well) EDIT: the 500$ one right now only cost like 20$ more to make than the 600$ one. If they do a price drop, that is what I think they will do.

Kwaad said: There's a good chance they will scrap the cheap one, and leave only the 60gb, and sell it for 500 this holiday. (if their not selling well)
That makes sense. Cutting down the number of models of a product can streamline the manufacturing process, and even allow increased production of the remaining model. I would still hesitate to call either unit cheap, but a 17% or so reduction in price for the top model is a big step.

Around the Network

baka said: That makes sense. Cutting down the number of models of a product can streamline the manufacturing process, and even allow increased production of the remaining model. I would still hesitate to call either unit cheap, but a 17% or so reduction in price for the top model is a big step.
It's cheap. I assure you. It dosent even have a plastic chrome piece across the front... *rolls eyes* There is about a 25$ diffrence in cost for the models. I think sony is scrapping the 20gb one... at least in a way. They are mergeing the Bluetooth chip, and WiFi. The 20gb unit dont have WiFi. So either a) their adding it. b) getting rid of 20gb model. :P I see the 20gb model possibly selling for 425 tho. Just to drop a leg down to people not willing to spend as much. They would still take a loss, but it would really help them get market domination. But crap. If their sold out come holiday season at 600$ each. They sure aint' droppin the price.

windbane said: baka said: mrstickball said: I doubt that in 9 months of launch, Sony can reduce the price of the system $300-$400. Expecially since the components of the system aren't mass-produced, therefore not as easy to reduce in price. I typically prefer not to speculate on the PS3, however I'll go out on a limb and state that they need to get the cost down sometime soon. I'll not pay that much for a console, and I'm guessing that most people outside of the early adopter market share my stance on the matter. Price is the #1 sticking point for the PS3, and has been since its launch. It doesn't matter if it's worth $600 or $800, it's simply too expensive compared to all previous successful home consoles. ugh. $500 ps3 gives more HD space and the same features as the $400 xbox360 except ps3 has free online service. it's not more money to have a ps3.
Pretty sure Xboxlive silver is also free.

My plan is to buy a ps3 around winter 2008 I figure it'll be cheaper by then blu-ray movies will have a bigger market(not to mention will hopefully be rentable) and the 1st gen games I could get cheap, not to mention the bigger titles will be out. At which point I will be owner to all thre next-gen system and master of unbias commentary. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Being that the Emotion Engine was 1 chip in a $100 system that Sony is turining a profit on I highly doubt that it has a cost of $75 ... Back in the day, when Microsoft and Nvidia had their falling out, Microsoft was only paying $12 for the GPU in each XBox when they were supposed to be paying $17 (If I remember correctly, I could be off by a few dollars) ... If I were a betting man, I would say that dropping the EE is saving Sony $15-$20 per PS3

HappySqurriel said: Being that the Emotion Engine was 1 chip in a $100 system that Sony is turining a profit on I highly doubt that it has a cost of $75 ...
Isupplies estimate was $25. Washamule got the 2 confused with the 7 when he posted one of his tirades. And WTF with regards to $100 system? Sony is not making a profit on each console....

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"