By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A PS3 price drop?

gebx said: No Price cut till 2009!!! Says spokeswoman for Sony Computer Entertainment America http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/11457/No_PS3_Price_Cuts_For_Two_Years.html http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=102508
That may be true but think about it this way. If Microsoft does like they said they would and drops the price 100 dallors and the Wii drops 50 bucks (lets say they do it in the Month of March) you think Sony will just wait till 09 to drop the price?

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network

Nintendo is in no rush to drop the price - and won't even think about it, until Wii sales significantly drop off (i.e. Wii units remaining unsold on shelves for weeks...). I think a price drop from MS (maybe combined with a new improved model) is a great strategy - and will put lots of pressure on Sony. Love to see a "base-model" 360 for $299 - and with a uber version at $499 (HDMI, big harddisk, quieter drive, HD-DVD). Something to compete with the PS3 directly. Then MS could claim similar/equiv hardware, just with a better games library, online support and more.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

mrstickball said: The Blu-Ray adds $75-125 to the cost of a PS3. http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1497&Itemid=2 Old article stating (erroneously) that the PS3 would cost $495 to make versus the 360's $340 each. The actual breakdown is/was $523 to $840 for the premium models. http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919 The major granddaddy article about what the PS3 blu-ray drive is - $125. /Edit for Kawaad - Changing to 65nm technology will only reduce the cell's cost as far as I understand. The cell cost $89.00 at launch. With even a generous 40% decrease, your still looking at around $50, and a cost reduction of "only" $30.
The removal of the Emotion chip is ~75$. The RSX is dropping soon too. Unification of the WiFi+BlueTooth, will save a few bucks. I would say sony will be makeing PS3's in 6 months for 400-500$. And in 18 months. 250-300$

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: The removal of the Emotion chip is ~75$. The RSX is dropping soon too. Unification of the WiFi+BlueTooth, will save a few bucks. I would say sony will be makeing PS3's in 6 months for 400-500$. And in 18 months. 250-300$
I doubt that in 9 months of launch, Sony can reduce the price of the system $300-$400. Expecially since the components of the system aren't mass-produced, therefore not as easy to reduce in price. The 360 dropped less than $200 in a year. I dont see how the PS3 can nearly double that in 3 fewer months. Honest opinion? They'll break even at Christmastime. I remember Meryll Lynch stating that their opinion is that the PS3's reduction in price will come at a much slower pace than most expect it to due to using the Cell, and it working in a typical way with most mobo opperations.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said: I doubt that in 9 months of launch, Sony can reduce the price of the system $300-$400. Expecially since the components of the system aren't mass-produced, therefore not as easy to reduce in price.
I typically prefer not to speculate on the PS3, however I'll go out on a limb and state that they need to get the cost down sometime soon. I'll not pay that much for a console, and I'm guessing that most people outside of the early adopter market share my stance on the matter. Price is the #1 sticking point for the PS3, and has been since its launch. It doesn't matter if it's worth $600 or $800, it's simply too expensive compared to all previous successful home consoles.

Around the Network

baka said: mrstickball said: I doubt that in 9 months of launch, Sony can reduce the price of the system $300-$400. Expecially since the components of the system aren't mass-produced, therefore not as easy to reduce in price. I typically prefer not to speculate on the PS3, however I'll go out on a limb and state that they need to get the cost down sometime soon. I'll not pay that much for a console, and I'm guessing that most people outside of the early adopter market share my stance on the matter. Price is the #1 sticking point for the PS3, and has been since its launch. It doesn't matter if it's worth $600 or $800, it's simply too expensive compared to all previous successful home consoles.
ugh. $500 ps3 gives more HD space and the same features as the $400 xbox360 except ps3 has free online service. it's not more money to have a ps3.

If you look at the PS3 cost lineup. 200 - Bluray 90 - CELL 150 - RSX 100 - Memory 75 - Emotion chip 200 - HDD, wifi, BlueTooth, case, internals, controller. ~850$. I'm not gonna even use a calculator on that. Too lazy tonight. BluRay will be about 50$ come Q4. -150 CELL will drop -30 (your number) RSX will drop (same %) -45 -75 (emotion chip) -10 (memory) -5 (wifi+BT merger) -1 (cheaper heating/cooling design) that's -316$ Brings it to damn near 500$.

I trust you can site your PS3 cost figures Kwaad.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said: I trust you can site your PS3 cost figures Kwaad.
Their ballpark. Hell if I rember where I found them. but the total cost was around 820$ for the 60gb unit. I bet sony is makeing them for around 650 right now. EDIT: If the price on their equipment drops by about 30% a year. Add the fact BluRay is gonna do a 75% price drop, and the emotion combo chip (75$) is being pulled out. 30% of 650 = 455$ At the end of 2007. And that gives right at 300$ at the end of 2008.

Regardless of what they have to do to get the price down, or where the figures come from, I feel a decrease has to happen. The PS3 at this point is simply priced too high to be a wildly successful game console. History seems to indicate that $200 is a magic price point. If Sony can get the price down to one that's palatable to more of the populace, even if it only fits the $200 price point through inflation, they have a much better chance. Hopefully for Sony, Kwaad is at least on the right track about these price decreases.