By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Others numbers adjusted....

Two price cut were needed to do this and even then PS3 may outsell 360 YTD. Now imagine what kind of trashing PS3 will give to 360 in 09 with price cut. So PS3 taking over 360 is delayed, PS3 still need to come at price of 299$. A price point on which 360 launched.

Around the Network

@Dgc1808

Nope no one "hates" the ps3... i think its just the anti incumbent drive that people have.. SONY has been the UNDISPUTED leader for the last 10 years..most people welcome change.. kinda how the genesis put nintendo in their place.

Plus since most games that USED to be exclusive are hitting the 360, most people dont understand why they should shell out $200 extra for a console for features they may not wanna use.. such as bluray, or wireless,media slots etc..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

shanbcn said:
Two price cut were needed to do this and even then PS3 may outsell 360 YTD. Now imagine what kind of trashing PS3 will give to 360 in 09 with price cut. So PS3 taking over 360 is delayed, PS3 still need to come at price of 299$. A price point on which 360 launched.

Not much of one.

X360 sells better than PS3 right now. End of the story. Nothing more. PS3 position is already untouchable.

BTW... all this new silly 360 avatars are disgrace for this system. Sadly people don't feel ashamed with this crappy Mii's rip off...

Dgc1808 said:
*Just finished reading through the thread*

Wow..... So much SONY hate..... What have they done so wrong to so many of you???

Put thier system on the market for you to buy????
Put their games at retailers for you to buy????

I just don't get it....

What have they done?

They killed SEGA........ and that is unforgivable.

Is it really that hard to believe that theres potentially MILLIONS of Sega and Nintendo fans out there that dislike Sony due to them gatecrashing the gaming world with their "corporate" ways?

Sony didn't give a sh*t when they killed one of the greatest Software and hardware developers of ALL TIME

So why should our hearts bleed now that Microsoft are doing to Sony what Sony did to Sega?

Sony made this business the crazy dog eat dog world it has become, now its time for Sony to be chewed up and spat out too.

Regarding the adjustments, 300k vs 200k, Excellent job Microsoft

Around the Network

wellits no big suprise really, if someone is buying a gift for someone, the current price point for 360 is more attractive.

a £129 £169 and £199 price point is more attractive to a gift buyer than a £299 ps3.

i belive ps3 will track very well this xmas but not as good as 360..........i reckon 360 lead will be increased to 6.5million ish over the xmas period.

all sony needs to do is get to a mass market price point, a £229 - £249 ps3 will sell more than the current 360 price points.

360 is only into its 3rd year and ps3 2nd, so really theres everything to play for.

i predict sony to have major price reductions in march at roughly £249 or even better £229. and will track far above 360 weekly

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

HALOOOOOOOO said:
Man this generation is unpredictable. Before it started, PS3 looked like a guaranteed winner. Then the 360 looked like it might be the winner. Then the Wii confirmed it would be the winner. Then the PS3 sold well and everyone thought it would be runner-up. Then the 360 got some price drops and now everyone thinks it will be the runner-up.

There's more drama in this console race than an episode of All My Children or One Life to Live.

well if u study the yearly graph, it shows 360 demand was becoming stagnant.

they had no choice to drop the price majorly. had 360 price not been dropped then it would have literally been run over this fall. like i mentioned earlier this time of year people are buying gifts for others and to be honest with u, buying a £129 360 or a £169 360 is a good buy over a £299 ps3.

my orig prediction was mid 2009 ps3 will overtake and it certainly would have done had it not been for major 360 price cuts, sony can easily turn it around in 2009 as theres not really any room for price haggling on 360 in 2009.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

@skeeuk
I agree that the 360 price cuts this fall turned things around for MS. But then, so did the price cuts last year for the PS3.

The Blu-ray drive and expensive architecture of the PS3 is what's holding the PS3 back, not some act of desperation by MS.

Eventually, the PS3's component costs will drop enough for Sony to cut the price again, but considering the architecture they chose, it might never be as cheap as the 360 can go. It was a tradeoff... put in more expensive drive and processor and charge more but have the potential to do more, or put in cheaper components and charge less but lose differential between your product and the competition...

With these numbers and the losses Sony are making I'm inclined to think they should throw in the towel with the PS3 and invest money and time on getting the PS4 right, or withdraw from the race completly, maybe selling the Playstation brand to another player i.e. Apple or even MS.

Yes, they'd loose face, but profit is more important that anything else in the world of business. Loosing 3.5bn on 1 product is silly.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Press_the_Button said:
With these numbers and the losses Sony are making I'm inclined to think they should throw in the towel with the PS3 and invest money and time on getting the PS4 right, or withdraw from the race completly, maybe selling the Playstation brand to another player i.e. Apple or even MS.

Yes, they'd loose face, but profit is more important that anything else in the world of business. Loosing 3.5bn on 1 product is silly.

U hit the nail on the head.  Profitabilty is key for Sony here.  Not so much for MSFT when they have billions to spare.  This is why they have kept the PS2 out this long instead of advancing their end users to Play B3YOND.  Welcome to VGC, btw.