By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo: Wii price cut not necessary

No reason to drop the price when it sells like a beast at it's current price.

Why would any business intentionally cut their profits?

Around the Network

WOW!

A year ago we would have had people complaining about them being greedy and not dropping price. I'm glad to see so many folks who grasp that this is a business.

Honestly the fact that the Wii has not dropped price yet is rather frightening considering the ability of a price drop to drum up consumer interest...it really makes me wonder how much demand is out there from people at the $100 to $200 price ranges...we already know the $250 range has immense demand but historically more demand comes from the sub-$200 range.

To Each Man, Responsibility

They haven't even introduced new colors or bundles, which will happen long before any price cuts.

What's the longest a system has gone without any price cuts?

FishyJoe said:
They haven't even introduced new colors or bundles, which will happen long before any price cuts.

That's a good question. I'd like to know that as well.

I'm confused, were you surprised by this news?

Around the Network

The fact that the x360 price cut didn´t affect wii sales, or that previous HD price cuts didn´t touch either shows thta the wii is sailling in it´s own blue ocean, having done something called "market creation", discovering a new niche in gaming and exploring it.
That grants them almost no competition whatsoever, because who buys a wii is looking for a wii, especifically, not just a console, so it´s not a choice between the 3 options out there, but more a question of price and avaiability.
My Opinion is that Nintendo could actually rise prices in about $50 and the numbers would stay roughly the same, both wii and hd numbers. The only reason they don´t do that is Image. It wouldn´t look good to rise prices during a crisis, after 2 years of it´s release and when everybody was expecting a cut. But don´t except a cut until the beggining of 2010.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

i could see a price cut in japan late summer/early fall next year. although, they could just release new colors during that time. and on top of new colors if monster hunter 3 comes out next summer/fall then they could definitely hold off on a japan price cut till mid-2010. and by that time i think a worldwide price cut to $200 would be appropriate since the main 360 system will probably be at $200 by the end of 2010.

but what it really comes down to is unless sales start dropping off they aren't gonna cut the price. and they could release new colors about 6 months before dropping the price to create a limited boost.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

FishyJoe said:

Not sure, but:

1. PS2 went 19 months before it dropped price from $299.99 to $199.99
  2. PS2 went another 12 (31) months before dropping from $199.99 to $179.99
  3. PS2 went another 12 (43) months before dropping from $179.99 to $149.99
  4. And finally 11 (54) months later went from $149.99 to $129.99 where it is right now (85).

Note the numbers in parenthesis are the number of months from launch for the event that they are next to.

The Wii is currently 24 months from launch, so it's past the first price drop and just shy of half way to the second one.

To Each Man, Responsibility

They are still selling almost everything they can produce--why would they risk making demand higher than supply while simultaneously making less profit?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

well yeah why would they when their toy is still selling this well?

Once the game drought of 2009 hits the Wii sales will drop and they will have to think about a price drop. Of course thats only my prediction, but come on what exclusives does the wii have in 2009?

- Wii sports resort
- No more heroes 2
- The conduit
-

Thats about all i could find on IGN