By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Half of PS3 owners also have a PSP.

Onyxmeth said:

Just to get an actual dialogue going beyond "Hi! I'm a statistic!", does it strike anyone oddly that with a 50% adoption rate with PS3 to PSP, that they aren't doing more for the little guy? Basically, almost every resource Sony has is going towards the PS3 at this point, to where it looks like the PSP is being left out to dry. They released new hardware to absolutely no software support, with little else on the horizon announced at the moment. If I'm not mistaken, their big Fall title is NBA 09. Their new ads featuring a convertible car ride has someone playing Midnight Club: LA Remix, a third party title available on two other platforms that are better suited to take the sales fro that game. The other commercial shows a God of War: Chains of Olympus...from March. The integration is nice, but why not make the PSP itself more enticing to boost the appeal of owning both?

thats because sony needs the ps3 to gain momentum far more then they need the psp to. thought they turn a profit on psp hardware, the game piracy has effectively killed its major earning potential. piracy is not a big problem for the ps3 so once they get hardware costs under control, it could turn into a huge money maker with both blueray, and games making them money. now tying in the psp to the ps3 is smart, because they can even use that to help subsidize the cost of the ps3. and for eventual profits when the ps3 hardware starts making them. 

it boils down to the ps3 needs more help for a better potential future, and the psp is doing well enough without the help. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

I have both

goddog said:
Onyxmeth said:

Just to get an actual dialogue going beyond "Hi! I'm a statistic!", does it strike anyone oddly that with a 50% adoption rate with PS3 to PSP, that they aren't doing more for the little guy? Basically, almost every resource Sony has is going towards the PS3 at this point, to where it looks like the PSP is being left out to dry. They released new hardware to absolutely no software support, with little else on the horizon announced at the moment. If I'm not mistaken, their big Fall title is NBA 09. Their new ads featuring a convertible car ride has someone playing Midnight Club: LA Remix, a third party title available on two other platforms that are better suited to take the sales fro that game. The other commercial shows a God of War: Chains of Olympus...from March. The integration is nice, but why not make the PSP itself more enticing to boost the appeal of owning both?

thats because sony needs the ps3 to gain momentum far more then they need the psp to. thought they turn a profit on psp hardware, the game piracy has effectively killed its major earning potential. piracy is not a big problem for the ps3 so once they get hardware costs under control, it could turn into a huge money maker with both blueray, and games making them money. now tying in the psp to the ps3 is smart, because they can even use that to help subsidize the cost of the ps3. and for eventual profits when the ps3 hardware starts making them. 

it boils down to the ps3 needs more help for a better potential future, and the psp is doing well enough without the help. 

That's a nice business strategy. Unfortunately it's not benefitting the PSP owner, just Sony. It's a nice illusion to play up the integration when the PSP on it's own it being treated like the red-headed step cousin. As a gaming device, this is the 1998 Saturn all over again.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
goddog said:
Onyxmeth said:

That's a nice business strategy. Unfortunately it's not benefitting the PSP owner, just Sony. It's a nice illusion to play up the integration when the PSP on it's own it being treated like the red-headed step cousin. As a gaming device, this is the 1998 Saturn all over again.

I know i am a psp owner, i tell you it saved me on my flights from chicago to shanghai. and games like loco roko made me glad of my purchase even after those long trips. 

the psp still needs a god damn second nub so fps will play right on it, and it would be the perfect non nintendo hand held ...... even with my hands cramping as i play it 

if you odnt have it dead head fred rocks

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:
Onyxmeth said:
goddog said:
Onyxmeth said:

I know i am a psp owner, i tell you it saved me on my flights from chicago to shanghai. and games like loco roko made me glad of my purchase even after those long trips. 

the psp still needs a god damn second nub so fps will play right on it, and it would be the perfect non nintendo hand held ...... even with my hands cramping as i play it 

I do have one. I splurged $400 last Christmas on myself(with others) to amass a quick collection of PSP greatness. How was I to know Sony would effectively push the little guy aside after God of War came out? My problem is exactly your telling strategy. Sony only sees the PSP as hardware, so instead of satisfying PSP owners, they just try to make newly dissappointed ones by redesigning the hardware to bring in more revenue for a poorly designed console strategy trying to right itself.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I have a WII + DS
I have a PS3 + PSP

Yeah, I fit this statisctics.

I just don´t have the X360 because don´t have room and time for play, hahaha, maybe one day I buy.

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

PixelJunt Monsters thru my PSP before sleep rules. I think the DUAL PS3+PSP is a good choice...

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

I've got both, guess I'm part of the figure. It's too bad that Sony can not properly support the PSP in terms of software due to the PS3's lack of success. Resistance: Retribution, Patapon 2 and Loco Roco 2 are fine but it's hardly a stellar lineup.

Onyxmeth said:
goddog said:
Onyxmeth said:
goddog said:
Onyxmeth said:

I do have one. I splurged $400 last Christmas on myself(with others) to amass a quick collection of PSP greatness. How was I to know Sony would effectively push the little guy aside after God of War came out? My problem is exactly your telling strategy. Sony only sees the PSP as hardware, so instead of satisfying PSP owners, they just try to make newly dissappointed ones by redesigning the hardware to bring in more revenue for a poorly designed console strategy trying to right itself.

Well said.

i guess i'm part of that statistic since i owne both the psp and ps3