By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Stop using the word "Jap"

cdude1034 said:

Words only have as much power as you give them.

Also, generally you can tell if there's malicious intent behind so called "derogatory" words. Using words like "Jap" should be taken on a case by case basis as 9 out of 10 people who use it do not mean any offense to any Japanese people.

Seriously, people will call you this or that your entire life no matter what race you are. The sooner you come to terms with that, the sooner you can move on with your life and worry about something worth worrying about.

Game, set and match.

Around the Network

Well, I don't see any problem with using the term Jap, but if wangjoo and (seemingly other japanese people) have a problem with it then it shouldn't be too much to ask using by adding a-n-e-s-e. But to me, WWII is over, and the Americans used the term as an enemy word, but the difference from krauts and jap is that jap is an actual shortened version of the word Japanese. Now seeing that the Japanese are allies with the US and that they were bombed twice by atomic explosions the term jap shouldn't be much of a problem.

All i really see is people being a little too picky and self-concious(?) of what other people call them, especially when no one means it (or a very few amount of people) in a derogatory way. We live in a new age!!!

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

Is it too difficult to respect other people even if you don't understand it? ;>

You've all been informed now so just pass the word whenever you see someone else using it.

The proper abbreviation is JPN by the way.

DKII said:

You've all been informed now so just pass the word whenever you see someone else using it.

The problem with this is that people can get offended by ANYTHING! Are we going to go banning this word or that just because someone got pissy one day?

If we fall into the political correctness trap, then what we're left with is a static world with people afraid to express themselves how they see fit. That isn't right.

You know what, I don't like the term "Wii" everytime I hear it, I think about little people. Please respect the little people! Call it an "uss" instead...

wait...that's to close to USSR, and I don't want any commies on the site! AAAAH!

/Freedom of Speech rant.

Currently playing: Civ 6

EDIT.

Around the Network
finalsquall said:

Entroper said:
What a spastic reaction.

Speaking of which, can we still call English people Brits?

That is not nice :P J/k

I don't see how "Brits" is offensive. But You guys can Call Me Aussie :D and my comrades say oi oi oi !!!

Ha, thats funny, here in germany to say "oi oi oi" is considred racist since it´s a Neo Nazi slogan. Its also funny how Jap is just a short form just as Brit or Aussie.... I hope we germans are not going to be called germs... just sounds wrong.

I never saw the word kraut as a big offence... I mean com´on were germans, we eat sauerkraut (not as much as you´d think thoug) big furry deal, we call the frence frog-eaters or froggies (no offence I live next to frence people and know many more who are all fine people), it´s hard to do with the brits because all their food is horrible (JK fish and chips are great) but here I feel that lots of minor racial slurs (expecially food orientated) are no big offence at all and I don´t see Jap as really bad since its just a short version of japanese (unless you fought in WW2 personally), if I lived somewhere where it was used as an insult alot I might se things differently. 

Racial slures cannot and never will be bound to strickt rules since everyone uses them differently and they change all the time. If there where real rules about this than it would only make sence than only white people can say cracker or honkey.....which would be funny in my opinion.....

"Wasup my honky ????"

"Cracker please... don´t give me that honkey shit!!!"

White getto wannabees should talk like that all the time IMO. 

DKII said:

Apperantly, it is.  Just don't be shy with the banhammer.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

just don't anyhow ban people if they didn't clearly show ''racist''...
eg: in soccer, referee sometime anyhow give pk & red card..

Someone said that Canada is the least racist country and i would like to say that is not true, we are just less vocal about what we think.