By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu ray players breaking 200$ range

Blu ray players around the market are breaking the 200 dollar mark, and there are already several players on the market at about 180$ while black friday is expected to bring 100-150 dollar players depending on the store and coupon.

Is this a sign of rapidly dropping production costs?
Or is this a sign of weakness in the market?

Eproductwars is showing that support is increasing for BR with purchasing spikes becoming a more stable line and top 100 and 1000 showing gains on DVD while top ten seems to be leveling off below dvd sales.

My prediction, once top 100 and 1000 reach the level where BR sales are at for the top 10, BR will take off. The graphs for top 100 and thousand show a greater catalog expansion and market penetration.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-ray-Disc-Players-DVD-Recorders/b/ref=amb_link_18311901_9?ie=UTF8&node=352697011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gp-left-2&pf_rd_r=03HY3VAXYYBRJAHH0CY0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=459557801&pf_rd_i=1065836

Around the Network

It is funny that you should post this today.  I just saw this on woot this morning.

www.woot.com

$139 dallors is this good or bad for the PS3 or will it matter to it at all?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Everstar said:

It is good for Sony when component costs of Blu-Ray players drop, as the PS3 production costs should drop as well.

It is good for Sony when Blu-Ray increases in market share, as players become cheaper.

It is bad for Sony when a 360 + Blu-Ray player cost less than a PS3.

I think the problem as of right now and in the immediate future at least in the US, is the perception of Blu-Ray. As most people I talk to about it just don't care enough about it. It wouldn't matter is it were 99 dollars, most are just too comfortable with DVD. Its the reason why most computers are still sold with a DVD drive in them.

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
Everstar said:

It is good for Sony when component costs of Blu-Ray players drop, as the PS3 production costs should drop as well.

It is good for Sony when Blu-Ray increases in market share, as players become cheaper.

It is bad for Sony when a 360 + Blu-Ray player cost less than a PS3.

Alrighty =)

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Well, the reason I brought up this being a sign of weakness is because those sub 170$ players generally don't have online... and long load times.

are they just trying to sell off old stock? Are they nervous about holding onto failing hardware? Or is this a great move for bmarket penetration?

Passenger57 said:
I think the problem as of right now and in the immediate future at least in the US, is the perception of Blu-Ray. As most people I talk to about it just don't care enough about it. It wouldn't matter is it were 99 dollars, most are just too comfortable with DVD. Its the reason why most computers are still sold with a DVD drive in them.

People don't care because they don't know enough about it. Marketing is key for Blu-Ray. The other reason is that HDTV's are still catching on to the mass consumer and are not yet standard. The holidays should see more adoption of HDTV's, and Blu-Ray.

Passenger57 said:

I don't know what you are talking about or if you even read the OP or checked the links, but everything is showing more and more adoption of Blu Ray, with clearance style competition of DVD. DVD prices are the lowest they've ever been. They are trying to win back the market.

The DVD consortium disagrees with you for one.

No, comps are still sold with a dvd drive because it is cheaper, no other reason. Given the same price any consumer would rather have a newer product with BC. I don't know what your logic is there.

I actually think it is probably a sign of economic weakness, compiling with less then promising prospects for the format. Weak demand and a weak market are the most likely culprits. Unfortunately this doesn't actually shift momentum one way or the other. The low prices can make equally compelling arguments both ways. Either you see the price as progress, or you see the price as a warning. Given that last year one format got the axe after doing the exact same thing could leave consumers intimidated, and who could blame them.

This may be a sink or swim season for the format. I honestly considered whether investing in a player was worth it, but the reality is this if you sit on your butt for another six months you will know for certain firstly. Secondly you will get a price in line with what a DVD player costs.