By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Square Enix- Fun Developing for the 360

+1 for someone mentioning The Bouncer! Such an underrated gem!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
memory2zack said:
Xen said:

I still don't get why they're using the unreal engine... why not use the same they use for FF XIII?

Because TLR would be released in 2010 in such a case.

Let me ask this:would you rather wait longer for a game and get an amazing, polsihed game or would you like S-E to rush the game out and be a buggy, mediocre "at best" game?

Pristine20 said:
@gebx

We're sure getting a lot of S-E loves M$ propaganda from you today. Keep 'em coming!

I suppose truth can be called propaganda, like it or not.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

The later for me because the game looks stiff boring (with Crystal Tools they would have managed massive scale dynamic battles, but it would be released even after the 2 FFXIIIs) but SE needed to bring this out to support current-gen consoles and get experience on working with the UE.
And having a dedicated team that constantly works on worldwide acclaimed engine, that is actively supported and expanded by its developer, is a great boon. I´m pretty sure this team next game (most likely also made on UE) will be from a technical standpoint much better. Also the UE is developer-friendly, so they´ll be able to make games faster than with the current Crystal Tools.

Also, aren´t people moaning how FFXIII and Versus take so long? Then shouldn´t they be happy they are getting a game that started development way after both and is already being released? Their fault if they believe that creating a new engine from ground up and then immediately start development of your biggest project won´t take a heck of a lot of time. Honestly, they should ,you know what, themselves and eat TLR up.

papflesje said:
Very good move by MS making their dev kits very accessible. Sony should (should've) countered that by sending dev kit-insiders to developers to aid in coding.

They did... they've been very generous in lending out experts to the bigger companies to help them develop.

Of course it's more fun to be able to do something easy then it is to have someone over your back explaining how to fix stuff.

Around the Network

@Kaz, but so far from what I've seen, the developers that WANT to learn the PS3 technology have been having an absolute blast doing so, Criterion, Infinity Ward, Insomniac, etc etc have mentioned stories about loving the fact that they think they've got something down, then they learn how to move just a little bit more to the cell, and just open up entirely new doors, they've all had some pretty positive dev stories :P

Not meaning to sound like flamebait, I could only imagine development for the 360 being boring :/ Very similar to how it's been done in the past, just with faster tech. I personally love learning new things, and the PS3 just seems like the more interesting console for such an environment xD But hey, different strokes for different folks :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:
@Kaz, but so far from what I've seen, the developers that WANT to learn the PS3 technology have been having an absolute blast doing so, Criterion, Infinity Ward, Insomniac, etc etc have mentioned stories about loving the fact that they think they've got something down, then they learn how to move just a little bit more to the cell, and just open up entirely new doors, they've all had some pretty positive dev stories :P

Not meaning to sound like flamebait, I could only imagine development for the 360 being boring :/ Very similar to how it's been done in the past, just with faster tech. I personally love learning new things, and the PS3 just seems like the more interesting console for such an environment xD But hey, different strokes for different folks :P

Criterion and Insominiac are hardly unbiased developers.  Insomniac only works on sony products, and Criterion needs the PS3 to do well in europe... their biggest market.

Furthermore Infinity Ward is really kind of biased just based on how their development philosphy works.

They have multiple development teams.

One for PC, one for 360 and one for PS3.  Then they have people who just make content.  Then the teams are fed the content from the content makers and have to make it work.

In otherwords, the PS3 guys are only working on PS3... and have to be really excited about it.  As they'll find themselves out of a job if the PS3 development stops.

Now a developer like SE... where both consoles are dead in japan... they're home market.  They're more likely to cut through the BS.

Oh absolutely, I agree with you in full :P I'm just making a statement that it doesn't really matter who the teams are, or where they're from, just that I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who really do enjoy learning something new, sure it could really suck with deadlines, but if you have that small amount of freedom, and you discover something new while exploring new technology, it can be a blessing in disguise :)

When I heard about all of Sony's internal development teams "sharing" technology, I just thought it was so friggin cool, and because the cell can be utilized in so many different ways, it just seems like a fascinating platform :P It's awesome to see developers come up with different and unique ways to utilize the tech, whereas with the 360, it's just raw horsepower :/ No real "hidden" potential just waiting around to be unlocked, it just seems completely bland :( To me there should be room for the unknown :P It's just more interesting~

ChronotriggerJM said:
Oh absolutely, I agree with you in full :P I'm just making a statement that it doesn't really matter who the teams are, or where they're from, just that I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who really do enjoy learning something new, sure it could really suck with deadlines, but if you have that small amount of freedom, and you discover something new while exploring new technology, it can be a blessing in disguise :)

When I heard about all of Sony's internal development teams "sharing" technology, I just thought it was so friggin cool, and because the cell can be utilized in so many different ways, it just seems like a fascinating platform :P It's awesome to see developers come up with different and unique ways to utilize the tech, whereas with the 360, it's just raw horsepower :/ No real "hidden" potential just waiting around to be unlocked, it just seems completely bland :( To me there should be room for the unknown :P It's just more interesting~

Actually i'm guessing 360 and Wii teams do the same thing.

"Sharing technology" is just like... sharing coding tips and stuff.  Assuming most of the sony teams use similar engines if not the same engines.... it makes perfect sense they'd do this.

Just how... all development teams do this within a company.  I'm sure the FF12 and FF12V guys are sharing coding tips as well as well as people working on Xbox games from the same company using the unreal engine.

Someone comes up with a new little driver or add on device that makes the engine run better... or lets them import stuff easier via conversion and they pass it along... it's nothing spectacular or unique to the cell.  It's just a matter of getting your dev teams to like each other and interact rather then feel they're competing against each other for development budgets.

Or alternativly let them know that people who develop helpful tools like that and pass them on will be compensated by way of increased budget.

Oh I'm sure they do share :P The only difference being that PS3 tech seems to be more "wtf?!?", whereas with the 360, since everything's so easy, your not really going to turn heads... Maybe a driver here, maybe an optimization there, but nothing really stellar. People used to think that the Cell's would just be used to give a little more boost, and that the PPO would do everything, but then people are realizing that they can use the spu's to do just about anything, wasn't the original idea behind FFXIII to use 2 of the 5 available SPU's to build character models before feeding it to the GPU? Then someone made them capable of forming advanced A.I., etc etc, people to this day are still figuring out how do to AMAZING things with the tech :P

I just feel because the 360's so simple, 3 general purpose cores, unified memory, blah blah blah, it's just so much easier to utilize, so much more open, that whatever problems that might have been difficult to figure out, will have a very mundane solution, boring in, boring out :(