By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 8 million PS3s, 2.5 million standalones. Is that all for Blu Ray in 2009?

United States of Whatever. 

"The Digital Entertainment Group, a consortium of movie studios and electronics manufacturers, forecast that 10.5 million households would be able to play Blu-ray videos by the end of the year. These will be on 2.5 million standalone players and 8 million PlayStation 3 game consoles."

Source: Fudzilla

Thats not a lot really. I was expecting there would be many more players that that, though a lot of the PS3s may be used strictly for Blu-Ray as it was/still is the best player, and it was/still is the most value just as a player.

So out of 100 million? households, fewer than 10% will have Blu Ray by the end of the year.

Tease.

Around the Network

I'm sure a lot of the problem is that HDTV's havn't been adopted as fast as they'd hoped, not necessarilty adoption of Blu-Ray.
I think it should be judged according to how many HDTV owners have or plan to have Blu-Ray, not total households.
Adoption of DVD was a lot easier because of this imo

good to note from that "David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment said that the only dark cloud is the economy. But adds that there had been no slowdown in the adoption of the PlayStation 3."

Of course, thats from David Bishop though! but the facts do seem to support his statement

The adoption of HDTVs is key to Blu-Ray's success. Blu-Ray doesn't work on SDTV's (without serious hacking i suppose) but PS3 can.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Is that US only? Because everyone's being saying that its adoption rate is higher than DVD....

In the US, that is. You could have added it into the OP, since i thought it was worldwide sales this year, until i read the article behind the link.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Oh... Since you were expecting more, this is bad?

Fail?

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Oh... Since you were expecting more, this is bad?

Fail?

Go away!!!!

Killzone 2 is waiting for you.

Tease.

@DMJ: The previous forecast was 14M according to the link.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Actually, that's pretty good. Failed formats like Beta or Laserdisc didn't sell that much players in their lifetime.

bdbdbd said:
@DMJ: The previous forecast was 14M according to the link.

Ok...

This is a good graph on adoption of various technologies in the past I found on Blu-ray forums / AVS.  As you can see, these technologies aren't accepted over night and are often met with alot of resistance in the first years.  BD has already surpassed LD in two years what LD did in 20 years.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.