By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you believe in love? (a.k.a hear me ranting)

I believe that love is one of the best and worst chemical reactions to happen in brains. It stimulates the same 4 parts of your brain (and in the same order) as doing heroin (the ultimate downer) or cocaine (one of the strongest uppers) but its negative side-effects don't hurt your body. THEY DESTROY YOUR SOUL.

Around the Network

just remembered that it is love and hate i get confused with not love and lust

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I believe that love is one of the best and worst chemical reactions to happen in brains. It stimulates the same 4 parts of your brain (and in the same order) as doing heroin (the ultimate downer) or cocaine (one of the strongest uppers) but its negative side-effects don't hurt your body. THEY DESTROY YOUR SOUL.

Interesting, makes you wonder about which is worse :P

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

madskillz said:

1.) While you can spin this all you want, what he quoted was directly out of the Bible - I. Cor. 13:13 Without God, the love you speak of is a hollow shell. I am not trying to preach and you, of course, can believe whatever you want to believe, but if you are going to agree with that statement, you also agree that the Bible has truth and should make you question your beliefs.

2.) EDIT: I never, EVER mentioned religion in my post. God and religion are often two different things, son.

1 Cor. 13
Love

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1.) Okay, so he [almost] quoted the Bible. I don't see what the big deal is though. I was interpeting faith as something not exclusive to religion. I know you were initially joking, but I felt it needed to be clarified. Atheists can have faith, too.

Also, don't try to use faulty logic to draw a conclusion about me; just because the Bible carries some truths doesn't mean I believe the whole thing does. "Therefore..." no, just no.

2.) Of course God and religion are two different things. When you said "That only works if you believe in the Creator ", I interpreted that as meaning faith was tied to being told what is so (as in a religion). Again, the wink told me you were joking, I just wanted to clarify it, though.

The BuShA owns all!

atheist, nihilistic, skeptic

are all terms that apply to people that haven't had a moment of whoa that cant be explained

love it real and it hurts just as much as it helps

that said the real test of a relationship is not if you fight or not, b/c it will happen and happen a lot, but that after the fights they are hard to remember and that you don’t care they happened

if you can say that you have reached this point go after it but that doesn’t mean she has and unless your willing to lock her in the basement you might have to move on…and I don’t recommend the basement thing its lots of work and not a lot of payoff

Around the Network
Flow said:
Vertigo-X said:

I'll try to weigh in and give my opinions, too!

Love is real but so is infatuation. There is no clear line between the two, just many different signs that, when combined, can give you and others an adequete picture. Love is something that can't be explained, only described with little clarity.

Infatuation, however, is what people think is love. I believe you are infatuated with this girl. I believe, as opposed to infatuation, love is something both people have to share. Infatuation usually only happens from one side. It sounds like your girl has some issues that she needs to assess.

My first girlfriend was very much the same way. I thought that what we had was love but it was simply infatuation. In our relationship we were making the same mistakes despite vowing to change. It didn't take long to realize that our problems would never go away, and such we decided it was best to part ways.

Now, you might be able to handle the fights, but it is evident that they are burdening her. If this has been going on for a while, you might be able to see a pattern in your relationship. Both of you will have to make a choice to brave the storm or part ways. You will both be stronger people in either case.

Thanks for posting.

Things are getting better, even though we're still on a break, she can't resist me sometimes and kiss me, and says she loves me, and i do the same, i can't bring myself to play those games with her...

But i don't really get the "issues that she needs to assess" and "they are burdening her"...

Good to hear that things are getting better! Hopefully you two are meant for eachother.

What I meant, though, is that there are elements of a person's past that can cause them to react a certain way to situations. For my ex, she had issues with her father leaving her, making her feel unimportant and vulnerable. There were times where I wouldn't be feeling very good and she'd misinterpret my sourness as an act like her father's. She clammed up and it took me days and even weeks to get her to open back up to me again.

I meant to simply remark that she might have issues like my ex's. She might not, though, so I could simply have misidentified it.

The BuShA owns all!

mesoteto said:

are all terms that apply to people that haven't had a moment of whoa that cant be explained

that said the real test of a relationship is not if you fight or not, b/c it will happen and happen a lot, but that after the fights they are hard to remember and that you don’t care they happened

if you can say that you have reached this point go after it but that doesn’t mean she has and unless your willing to lock her in the basement you might have to move on…and I don’t recommend the basement thing its lots of work and not a lot of payoff

There are lots of things i can't explain and i've come to accept it, but love just drives me crazy.

Indeed, only time we remember the fights is when we are fighting again. And the basement thing don't sound like a good idea lol.

Vertigo-X said:
Flow said:
Vertigo-X said:

I'll try to weigh in and give my opinions, too!

Love is real but so is infatuation. There is no clear line between the two, just many different signs that, when combined, can give you and others an adequete picture. Love is something that can't be explained, only described with little clarity.

Infatuation, however, is what people think is love. I believe you are infatuated with this girl. I believe, as opposed to infatuation, love is something both people have to share. Infatuation usually only happens from one side. It sounds like your girl has some issues that she needs to assess.

My first girlfriend was very much the same way. I thought that what we had was love but it was simply infatuation. In our relationship we were making the same mistakes despite vowing to change. It didn't take long to realize that our problems would never go away, and such we decided it was best to part ways.

Now, you might be able to handle the fights, but it is evident that they are burdening her. If this has been going on for a while, you might be able to see a pattern in your relationship. Both of you will have to make a choice to brave the storm or part ways. You will both be stronger people in either case.

Thanks for posting.

Things are getting better, even though we're still on a break, she can't resist me sometimes and kiss me, and says she loves me, and i do the same, i can't bring myself to play those games with her...

But i don't really get the "issues that she needs to assess" and "they are burdening her"...

Good to hear that things are getting better! Hopefully you two are meant for eachother.

What I meant, though, is that there are elements of a person's past that can cause them to react a certain way to situations. For my ex, she had issues with her father leaving her, making her feel unimportant and vulnerable. There were times where I wouldn't be feeling very good and she'd misinterpret my sourness as an act like her father's. She clammed up and it took me days and even weeks to get her to open back up to me again.

I meant to simply remark that she might have issues like my ex's. She might not, though, so I could simply have misidentified it.

So, you even had the source of her problems and still parted ways? Do you think it was better than going through the storm?

And don't be ashamed to post, as you last emoticon tells :P, it's good to hear opinions.

Love exists but people often mistake it with a crush. I think someone is in love when they're ready to spend the rest of their days with that person, see him/herself happy with that person, are dedicated to each other and ready to make efforts to better themselves, if there's an issue with themselves or the relationship.

I don't think someone who would give up so easily would really be in love.

mesoteto said:

Even as a Christian I think that is a pretty narrow characterization.  And almost no one is actually a nihlist even if they claim to be.  Most people don't even really understand nihlism.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson