By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Okami pay too much homage to Zelda?

I think it's a good thing, Okami was a great game. I'm surprised there aren't more games copying the style of Zelda. There are countless RPGs and FPS games which all copy one another, why not a few more pointy ear copies?

Around the Network

I don't want to read any spoilers as I am still undecided on this one...

The thing is Okami looks like Twilight Princess without Link in his human form and I am not sure if I want to play that way for 50 hours straight.

Additionally the art style is beautiful but a bit strange. It looks like it could get annoying after some hours. (I guess what I try to describe here is that certain feeling that kept many gamers from playing Okami but just can't be explained).

On the other hand it is relatively cheap now.

I'm still undecided... meh.

Louie said:
I don't want to read any spoilers as I am still undecided on this one...

The thing is Okami looks like Twilight Princess without Link in his human form and I am not sure if I want to play that way for 50 hours straight.

Additionally the art style is beautiful but a bit strange. It looks like it could get annoying after some hours. (I guess what I try to describe here is that certain feeling that kept many gamers from playing Okami but just can't be explained).

On the other hand it is relatively cheap now.

I'm still undecided... meh.

Just get it, it will be one of the better games you ever play. You will just buy and play some other game that wont be as good as Okami.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Although I haven't tried the Wii version, the PS2 version of the game is simply beautiful and simply wonderful to watch in motion. It truly is one of those few works of art that goes beyond simply a game.

Anyways, yeah there are a ton of similarities to Zelda, since it was already pointed out that the creators were inspired by Zelda. However, I don't think the Keaton mask has too much of a resemblance to Ninetails in the game, since Ninetails is a pretty common figure in Japanese mythology. Also, there are only so many ways to depict a fox, whether in a game or not.

They totally ripped Zelda, but it was totally worth it. The game is amazing!

As for things like "Kokari", I just took that as a totally awesome homage.

Around the Network
Rick1331 said:

I think it's a good thing, Okami was a great game. I'm surprised there aren't more games copying the style of Zelda. There are countless RPGs and FPS games which all copy one another, why not a few more pointy ear copies?

Maybe because Zelda type of games are costly to produce and only Zelda have a secure return over investment.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

is paying too much homage to one of the best franchises ever really a bad thing?

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

No. I don't think that it pays too much homage to Zelda. It works like a brilliant inside joke through out the game.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

too many spoliers here people im only 20 hours in.
kinda got hooked on MP3 now though.

SSBB Code: 5327-2374-8112

MKWii Code : 3780-9266-6102

CoD WaW Code: 1376-1190-5157