By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NPD numbers: 360 is their best bet.

Passenger57 said:
Squilliam said:
It kinda highlights the problem with Blu-Ray for Sony. The only market share the 360 can steal are the people who actually buy games, obviously people who want Blu-Ray aren't going to buy a 360. This holiday season can do nothing good for Sonys attach rate.

True, I am a prime example of this as I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but if it becomes the standard and I need to buy one it will be the PS3. My gaming will be done on the 360 with the occasional but rare PS3 exclusive I can't get on the 360. Games like LBP don't interest me that much so I might get a used copy for really cheap in a year or so. There are a lot of people I know who carry this same Idea about the PS3

I'm in exactly the same boat, but even if Blu-Ray becomes the standard I will still wait awhile for PS3's to become much cheaper, probably under $200.

Around the Network

I plan on getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray hopefully next year after the price cut. I'll pick up Ninja Gaiden Sigma and God of War 3, but games like LBP, MGS4(I know, right? I really couldn't stand it.) and Killzone 2 don't interest me. 

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

it's the other way around in europe.

where ps3 version sell better.

Is Europe getting the NXE?
what about streaming movies?

Coca-Cola said:
Is Europe getting the NXE?
what about streaming movies?

1.  Yes.

2.  Maybe, but not from Netflix.

Around the Network

There's a huge gap in America. but in "Others" The PS3 versions sell more with a smaller Gap. No need to say anything about Japan.

For me: As long as the PS3's userbase isn't ignored am good. And am sure more games will be charting on the global figures [don't think NPD does global] for PS3 when the "others" userbase favors the ps3 more in terms of numbers..... If SONY can get the HW numbers Higher... that 360 price cut did wonders.....

4 ≈ One

Well isnt it due to the fact that the 360 has a 14million install base in the U.S?

the ps3 has a 6 million?

mM

Isn't Europe starting to show that for certain genres the 360 is getting equal or greater sales? Obviously Soccer is out but for games like Fallout 3 I believe the 360 leads inspite of a smaller userbase.

Tease.

Pipedream24 said:

I am one of those people who own a PS3 & 360 and I buy all my Multi-platform titles on the 360.  I'll buy the exclusives that interest me for the PS3, but I've definitely logged more hours watching Blu-ray movies on it than playing games.   I like my PS3.  I just prefer xbox live over the PSN network.

While we share the love of the worst football team to grace the NFL in years, we are the exact opposite when it comes to PS3/360.  I only buy exclusives for the 360, and buy all my multiplats for the PS3.  I dont see why people like XBL over PSN, nor have I ever heard a coherent arguement as to why one is better than the other.  The both have positives and negatives, but are pretty much the same when you get down to the details.

It makes sense as to why the 360 sells more software in NPD-land ... it had a year head start and was a forced migration path for previous Xbox owners.  The extra time on the market has allowed the consumer to invest in their stable of 360 games, and it doesnt make sense for them to make large investments in non-exclusive titles for the PS3.  This could change however, as I believe there are still large amounts of PS2 owners that are waiting for the PS3 to hit a better price point, at which time you might start to see the PS3's numbers rebound.  The is purely speculation and opinion, of course.  I could be wrong, but lower console prices mean more sales, which in turn means more games sold to consumers.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

Squilliam said:
Isn't Europe starting to show that for certain genres the 360 is getting equal or greater sales? Obviously Soccer is out but for games like Fallout 3 I believe the 360 leads inspite of a smaller userbase.

generally its ps3 > in europe.

fallout 3 is a exception the difference isn't as huge either way.