By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm sad about a certain genre.

Phoenix_Wiight said:
SmokedHostage said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:

and to keep this from becoming a fanboy/flaming threat...

it's not that i'm not a fan of shooters. i've played my hair share, but they're not my favorite genre. i especially have enjoyed GoW this gen, but I can't help but be confused at why people get so excited over games like Bioshock, Dead Space, Merceneries 2, Far Cry 2, etc.

They're pretty much the same games in different envirnments and it gets REALLY repetitive. Platformers are usually always very unique in their own way- a completley different world, feeling, style of play, and fun to them.

EDIT: I do have Wario Land, and I thought it was a great game.

QFT.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

It's pretty good isn't it? Nintendo still makes platformers and Sony actually made one recently so all hope isn't lost.

On another note, I like shooting things too. The problem with shooters is that many of them are so similar now. It's either WWII (try Vietnam guys), zombie shooting, or space aliens.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
It's pretty good isn't it? Nintendo still makes platformers and Sony actually made one recently so all hope isn't lost.

On another note, I like shooting things too. The problem with shooters is that many of them are so similar now. It's either WWII (try Vietnam guys), zombie shooting, or space aliens.

I could imagine AO ratings because of explosing children and bannings in German, Japan and Australia already..

Pixel Art can be fun.

I guess that you're right. It's okay to set Japanese people on fire with a flamethrower though.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
I guess that you're right. It's okay to set Japanese people on fire with a flamethrower though.

Kids automatically make it "controversial" if you can picture that.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

Until SONIC gets good again... I give up on them...

4 ≈ One

SmokedHostage you didn't address my point about PoP and mirrors edge. Surely they are a more advanced form of platformer. Try them and see.

As to Phoenix_Wiight that's a pretty ignorant statement calling bioshock, mercenaries 2, far cry 2 and dead space the same thing. If you had played any of them you would know why. Mercenaries 2 and bioshock couldn't be more different. Firstly the basic differences, story, core gameplay.

Your statement ''a completley different world, feeling, style of play, and fun to them.'' makes it incredibly confusing as well. Shooters are all set in a different world. It would be insane to say Mercenaries 2's huge open world sunny jungle and cities is the same as Bioshocks underwater sinking 1950's deco city, or dead spaces deserted mining ship. In fact surely there is FAR more variety in shooters.

Platformers? Fire world, ice world, grass world, castle themed level.

Shooters also have different feelings. Shooting in Dead space is nothing like in mercenaries 2. Mercenaries 2 aiming is more floaty and precision is less important, just spray away. Dead space you better damn well change the cutter from a horizontal line to a vertical line to take off that slashers arm. Miss placed a shot? Yea now the enemy is actually harder to kill.

Style of play? Far cry 2 set the grass on fire around a camp, then fire explosives in. Dead space back into a corner and start aiming carefully. Mercenaries 2 run in firing like a mad man, steal a tank, fire like a mad man in a tank.

Also all those 4 shooters are very fun. Bioshock has an incredible atmosphere, interesting story, interesting use of plasmids. Dead space has a cool story, great atmosphere, interesting shooting mechanics etc.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

SmokedHostage said:
amp316 said:

Kids automatically make it "controversial" if you can picture that.

I know exactly what you're saying.  In Independence Day half of the world got blown up but the dog lived through the entire movie. 

If someone bothered to make a World War I shooter, I'd buy it no matter how much it sucked. The whole war is about how many lives could be pointlessly frittered away. It's perfect for a videogame. There would be a lot of emphasis on machine guns and artillery and less on vehicles. What's not to like?

i am a huge fighter fan but it seems like that genre has failed to evolve even though it still has some that sell well like soul caliber 4, dead or alive, smash bros, and the new street fighter and mortal kombat games will probably be hits, but it feels like the genre has hit a wall and devs dont try creating new ides and new fighting systems especially in 3d the originality of them died with the dreamcast.