By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm sad about a certain genre.

It could make a surprise resurgance.

Who knew that Retro gaming would rear it's head again?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
axumblade said:
SmokedHostage said:

My favorite genre is being more and more niche every generation.  Why don't people have such a passion for Platformers as I do.

I mean, the only exclusive platformer on the 360 is Banjo and Kazooie and the PS3 only has that Ren wannabe and the talking lunchbox also the hacky sack thingie.  Other than that, it's just a bunch of mediorce games like Crash of the Titans and Sonic 06.

At least the Wii has nice platforming offerings like the superb Super Mario Galaxy, the fanastic de Blob, the mixed feeling Super Paper Mario, and the nostalgia induing Wario Land: Shake it.  Why must genres become so eclipsed by the overrated.  I think I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight.

You and I keep on the same page for a few days and then you post this....this..mean thing....why must you hurt me so?!? ;_;

I'm already hurt because the future of platformers is questionable.  Also I can't think of their names..

Pixel Art can be fun.

Super mario galaxy is the 3rd highest ranked game ever and sold amazingly. Hardly seems like platformers are niche. Just less companies are making them. At the same time, Banjo kazooie, LBP, SMG, NSMB, Ratchet and Clank, braid, N+, kirby canvas curse. Seems like there have been a lot of high quality platformers recently.

Why is it becoming less popular? Just like at the title of the genre - platformer. An entire genre dedicated to the act of jumping. It's not exactly easy to make exciting.

Besides surely we can take games like Prince of Persia and mirrors edge to be the evolution of the platformer.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Zim said:
Super mario galaxy is the 3rd highest ranked game ever and sold amazingly. Hardly seems like platformers are niche. Just less companies are making them. At the same time, Banjo kazooie, LBP, SMG, NSMB, Ratchet and Clank, braid, N+, kirby canvas curse. Seems like there have been a lot of high quality platformers recently.

Why is it becoming less popular? Just like at the title of the genre - platformer. An entire genre dedicated to the act of jumping. It's not exactly easy to make exciting.

Besides surely we can take games like Prince of Persia and mirrors edge to be the evolution of the platformer.

Wasn't it 2nd highest ranked? Nevermind, GTA ps3 version somehow is 2nd.

Zim said:

But shooters are a genre dedicated to shooting.  While easy to make exciting, why isn't it so niche?  Because 12 year olds love Halo?

I'm pushing it aren't I?

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

blame it on the 360 and the people that are buying the constant crappy shooters, one after another.

sadly people buy games based on ratings these days. sadly raters sell out these days. there are a lot of reasons...

and it's annoying. a great platformer is better than a great shooter.

Phoenix_Wiight said:
blame it on the 360 and the people that are buying the constant crappy shooters, one after another.

sadly people buy games based on ratings these days. sadly raters sell out these days. there are a lot of reasons...

Yea.. varied gameplay, worlds with actual color and diversity, a strong sense of adventure..  I'm not a fan of shooters and even I know PC shooters are better than console shooters.  Why can't shooters be PC exclusive and console developers be more about open to platformers.

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Now how many people complaining about the lack of platformers have the latest Wario Land? If you don't then you should get it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Now how many people complaining about the lack of platformers have the latest Wario Land? If you don't then you should get it.

I own it but it's.. just not enough.  -cries-

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:

Yea.. varied gameplay, worlds with actual color and diversity, a strong sense of adventure..  I'm not a fan of shooters and even I know PC shooters are better than console shooters.  Why can't shooters be PC exclusive and console developers be more about open to platformers.

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

and to keep this from becoming a fanboy/flaming threat...

it's not that i'm not a fan of shooters. i've played my fair share, but they're not my favorite genre. i especially have enjoyed GoW this gen, but I can't help but be confused at why people get so excited over games like Bioshock, Dead Space, Merceneries 2, Far Cry 2, etc.

They're pretty much the same games in different envirnments and it gets REALLY repetitive. Platformers are usually always very unique in their own way- a completley different world, feeling, style of play, and fun to them.

EDIT: I do have Wario Land, and I thought it was a great game. lol i wrote hair share before.