By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mark Rein: Consoles put a stranglehold on DX10

Bodhesatva said:
Legend11 said:
But what's the point in getting a crossfire or sli setup if the super high-end games become few and far between?

Because I really, really like those games that are "few and far between". I like World of Warcraft, Half Life, Half Life 2 and Starcraft better than everything on the 360 and PS3 combined, and I'm not exaggerating. I have quite literally put 200+ days (or 4800 hours of game play) in to Starcraft alone. If these games continue to remain PC exclusive (Starcraft 2 certainly is) or PC centric (as Half Life is), then I would much rather pay 500 a year to keep my rig up to date than to play the 360/PS3 games I personally believe are much less fun.

But that's my opinion. I'm not saying you should agree. You asked, I answered.

The system requirements for World of Warcraft, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Starcraft are very low.  In fact Blizzard and Valve are two developers that I find make games that play very well on medium range systems.  Besides Crysis (and likely Far Cry 2) can you think of any other games that would be a lot better on an sli or crossfire setup as compared to say one 8800GTX?  I imagine that even a 8800GTS (640MB) will be more than enough for 99% of the games coming out in the next few years.

As for your opinion I also like games on the PC as well as games on 360, I mean I'm very sure Mass Effect will be one of my favorite games this year if not my favorite and I know Banjo Kazooie 3 will very likely be one of my favorites next year.  I think all three consoles will have enough games in their lifespan to justify their cost.

Around the Network

reason why the requirements for starcraft is very low,,,the game is 10YEARS OLD....

developing games for the medium Range systems NOW(not "medium" at release)= more people can PLAY THE DAMN GAME= higher sales=more profit

MMO's

everquest 2
world of warcraft

everquest2 "future proofed" their engine so much so that the current high end machine- at release- could BARELY get more than 20fps in cities...the average machine was getting less than that- even at the lowest settings.

"now" current mainstream games do better, since the tech got better

world of warcraft- high end machines played wow great
main stream machines palyed wow great
low end played wow good

on "all" machines wow was a mmo that could be played- i've played wow on a machine with an nvidia 4200 card...(newer card burned out-replacement was on order) i PLAY wow on a notebook with an ati 9700 video card(saturdays while the wife is at work- i am in living room with the kids)

wow currently- in the us only- has at least 7x the population of eq2...

lenardo said:
developing games for the medium Range systems NOW(not "medium" at release)= more people can PLAY THE DAMN GAME= higher sales=more profit

That was main point of the article...

Legend11 said:
Bodhesatva said:
Legend11 said:
But what's the point in getting a crossfire or sli setup if the super high-end games become few and far between?

Because I really, really like those games that are "few and far between". I like World of Warcraft, Half Life, Half Life 2 and Starcraft better than everything on the 360 and PS3 combined, and I'm not exaggerating. I have quite literally put 200+ days (or 4800 hours of game play) in to Starcraft alone. If these games continue to remain PC exclusive (Starcraft 2 certainly is) or PC centric (as Half Life is), then I would much rather pay 500 a year to keep my rig up to date than to play the 360/PS3 games I personally believe are much less fun.

But that's my opinion. I'm not saying you should agree. You asked, I answered.

The system requirements for World of Warcraft, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Starcraft are very low. In fact Blizzard and Valve are two developers that I find make games that play very well on medium range systems. Besides Crysis (and likely Far Cry 2) can you think of any other games that would be a lot better on an sli or crossfire setup as compared to say one 8800GTX? I imagine that even a 8800GTS (640MB) will be more than enough for 99% of the games coming out in the next few years.

As for your opinion I also like games on the PC as well as games on 360, I mean I'm very sure Mass Effect will be one of my favorite games this year if not my favorite and I know Banjo Kazooie 3 will very likely be one of my favorites next year. I think all three consoles will have enough games in their lifespan to justify their cost.

Half Life 1/2 definitely required a 1000+ dollar computer when they were released, which makes them more than twice as expsensive as the 360/PS3. Not Crysis requirements by any means, but still substantial. I don't think we'll start frequently seeing Crysis-level graphics on PC for at least a couple more years. Crysis is really an aberration: usually it takes a couple of years to see PC games that really noticably outstrip new consoles. With Crysis, we're seeing it within a year of the release of the PS3, which is already a very expensive console. So I agree with almost all of this!

Instead, what I am saying is that the few high-end games that are tailored specifically for the PC have historically been my absolute favorites. With Crysis and Starcraft 2 upcoming (I'll bet you good money that you'd need to pay 1400+ dollars right now for a computer that can effectively run SC II without slowdown), I see that trend continuing. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I spent $400 dollars to play Half Life 2 and that included the game and a new computer, I also played Doom 3 on it at full settings no problem but of course both were under Linux so that could have been the difference. I guess what I am really trying to say is that there are ways to cut down costs on PC gaming if you just do a little research.

Around the Network

Yo guys, direct x10 isnt the only way to get crisis type graphcis... theres somethign new coming to the ps3 exclusively I will start a thread about it.

mM