By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Quality Wii support has snuck up on us.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
I say this every time... people have overlooked Web of Shadows so much, it's badass on all 3 major platforms, the reviewers giving it a bad rap is full of themselves, it's got amazing combat, awesome open world, and some of the best comic book to video game writing ever.

Also yes I have to agree with Zucas it's pretty sad to have 6s and 7s be the "average" game when it should be 5's. I also agree with Phoenix on the overrated PS360 titles, it's insane how bad they can be and still get 8s while gems like web of shadows gets 5s... It's also insane to me that people compare Wii versions to PS3 and 360 versions which they look at the graphics and usually go "this looks bad" and it's like an automatic point lower... which if you were to compare the PS360 to Wii versions then well you'd have to compare controls on PS3 and 360 to the Wii remote... and on CoD WaW Wii just obliterates the PS360 controls, if you want the content get the PC version if you don't have a good PC get the Wii version end of story.

I agreed with you up until here.

You can't assume that Wiimote FPS controls are everyones favorite. I still prefer the 360 and PS3 gamepad over Wiimote and nunchuck anyday. I'm not a big PC gamer, but I'll even take keyboard and mouse over Wiimote too. You can't make a broad statement like that on something that is subjective.

@ Montanna

I agree. People still have a theory that reviewers hate the Wii, and are to bring it down.

@ Pheonix

Handhelds are trashed by reviews. DS and PSP don't have the highest rankings ever. So no, reviewers are NOT biased against the DS. All of them still hate the PSP. But, I think you answered your own question as to why FE:RD got a 6. A Fire Emblem loved and said it was better than PoR. I'm sorry someone has a different opinion. Gamespot has put low (and high) scores for underserving games more than once. (looks at Heavenly Sword and Ratchet and Clank Future)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

when you say "solid release" do you mean saleswise?

MontanaHatchet said:
No one disputes the quality of 90+ Wii games like Super Smash Bros., Zelda, or Galaxy.

What I would give to not have to correct you.

Phoenix_Wiight said:

its not random website hate. late me just take gamespot for example.

Mario Galaxy- 9.5 - great.

Twilight Princess- 8.8 - uhh...

Metroid Prime 3 - 8.5 - uhhhh....

Mario Kart Wii- 8.5 - ok, this is ridiculous

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 6.0 - ok, wtf?

Wario Land: Shake it- 7.5 - ....

I have to leave soon, but I'm going to make a thread with this later... but let me just say this.

If TP, MP3, MKWii, etc etc were on any other console, they would get higher ratings. Its biased. You can't tell me that Bioshock was better than TP, MP3 or MKWii, cause it wasn't. You can't tell me GTAIV was one of the most amazing games ever and was a 10/10, cause it wasn't. Fire Emblem, they gave that a 6, and they gave the one before than at 8.5. I find it funny because every Fire Emblem fan thought that game was better in every single aspect, as did I, and should of ATLEAST got a 9.0/10.0

I have at one point owned all those games and have few problems with the review scores provided. Twilight Princess was not a spectacular experience, and was at best mediocre for the series. After being so hyped I can understand that review. Metroid Prime 3 is probably high in my opinion, but I have ranted about that game enough times. Wario Land: Shake It just wasn't that good. I wanted to love that game so badly it hurts. Wario is one of my favorite characters ever, and 2D platformers are one of my favorite genres. The final product was just mediocre though.

Fire Emblem, and Mario Kart Wii got scored you should expect. Fire Emblem is in a genre that never scores well, and is ridiculously hard core. It probably should have gotten a bit higher but most of its low score has nothing to do with the platform it is on. Mario Kart Wii is don e in a style that always gets lower scores. The game has a relatively harsh learning curve masked by random items to make it seem like you are playing better than you are. This is more common on the Wii due to Nintendo implemnting the system into many of their games (and I love them for it).

You need to step back and look at this more objectively. You see some Wii games getting lower scores than they should and immediatly conclude it is a conspiracy against the Wii. Fact of the matter is those games all got rated lower because of factors entirely unrelated to the system it was released on. The only one that might have come close to being an issue with was perhaps Twilight Priness, but it always seemed to me the reviewer (rightfully) saw it as the last game of the Gamecube rather than a launch game for the Wii and rated it accordingly.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo, the others are up for debate but giving Radiant Dawn a 6.0 is crime. GS scored Kung Fu Panda higher than 6.0.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Gnizmo, the others are up for debate but giving Radiant Dawn a 6.0 is crime. GS scored Kung Fu Panda higher than 6.0.

I agree with that honestly. I am absolutely ashamed at the state of the review system because of situations like that. Radiant Dawn definitly desreves to be in the high 8s or low 9 range based on my experience with it. However, the low score is not a direct result of a conspiracy against Wii games. Reviewers seem to hate the SRPG genre, and the Fire Emblem series is a combination of all of the "worst" elements. The game focuses on slow paced, strategic movement which generally ends in a lower review score. I hate that this is true, but it is. The review system is near worthless in its current state, but not because of a bias for or against any console.

The problem in a review is your evaluation's methodology. If you compare a multi-platform game only with the other version in an other platform, your opinion about graphics, controls are biased. A PS360 paddle is not wiimote, like it or not. If you play the smae game with 3 different controls, you can' t be objective. It's better to review hardware only, but with nintendo the difference is so high with 3rd parties (even disaster) that you can't grade at the same basis. So for the wii, you're lacking of a model to define your review. Whatever is your method, wii third parites are suffering from the comparison, and are afraid of it. Also, some games are compared to the last gen predecessor and are suffering from it.
On topic, there are good wii thrid party games, but most of their ratings are deserved. They are still not matching nintendo's job, and they are (at least for some) aware of that.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

Gnizmo said:
Darc Requiem said:

I agree with that honestly. I am absolutely ashamed at the state of the review system because of situations like that. Radiant Dawn definitly desreves to be in the high 8s or low 9 range based on my experience with it. However, the low score is not a direct result of a conspiracy against Wii games. Reviewers seem to hate the SRPG genre, and the Fire Emblem series is a combination of all of the "worst" elements. The game focuses on slow paced, strategic movement which generally ends in a lower review score. I hate that this is true, but it is. The review system is near worthless in its current state, but not because of a bias for or against any console.

you have to agree that there is some bias to it. but I do understand what you're saying.

if a game is a FPS, they'll review it much higher than a text-based adventure or something like that. very flawed.

Phoenix_Wiight said: 

you have to agree that there is some bias to it. but I do understand what you're saying.

if a game is a FPS, they'll review it much higher than a text-based adventure or something like that. very flawed.

If you mean bias against a console, then no I don't agree at all. You can see my previous post for details on that. If you mean against certain genres, then yeah I would generally agree with that. I have noticed a trend on some sites to give every game a fair try though. Its not wide spread or consistent just yet, but it is a promising sign for the future.

at the beggining of september i thought id only buy AC for wii in the whole rest of the year. however ive bought 3 already and looking to buy another 3 in the rets of the year, not including AC. whilst not fantastic games there are much better offerings than I thought there was going to be

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia