By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SaviorX Speaks: Nintendo was too hardcore for their own good

Think about it. In the beginning, Nintendo said we were "playing with power". Fair enough. The NES was a strong console, given proof by its ability to play the 1 MB MegaMan game. Then as years went by, Nintendo started getting aggressive, to the point where their slogan was "Get N or Get Out"

Let me emphasize what I just said: "Get N or GET...OUT" How inviting is that to people looking for a new potential console to purchase? That isn't friendly in the least bit, and brings up the attitude that "well, I don't need to buy their system in the first place, so I won't have to get out... SINCE I'M NOT GOING IN!"

Their attitude towards 3rd parties was bad (as we all know), given proof by their release of DMA Design as a business partner (they went on to make a little known game we now call Grand Theft Auto 3).

The public didn't "Smell what the N was cookin'" so to speak, and Nintendo was left cold saleswise.

So now they have been humbled and cater to the casual crowd they Jason Voorhies'd all those years ago. They make games for everyone again, like they did with the NES and they are achieving success quicker unlike anything seen in the industry. Even though the PS3/360 have "the better libraries" that suit the "hardcore" gamer, the same "GET OUT" mindset is rearing it's butt-ugly head. People are afraid of trying to figure out how to control the "POWWAA" of these multimedia systems.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

May I be the first to say

wat

this is an interesting concept, but it needs to be better thought out, worded, and compounded on. Right now it just feels like a random stream of consciousness observation

basically, the idea I'm getting is that Nintendo set the attitude that would remain prevalent in the video game industry and is ultimately responsible for the "hardcore" attitude, which is the very reason why they are suffering... well, not suffering, but why they still get heckled despite their success. It's an interesting thought, but I'd like to see some correlating data to support the point and delve further into the issue before someone makes a thread out of it.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:

this is an interesting concept, but it needs to be better thought out, worded, and compounded on. Right now it just feels like a random stream of consciousness observation

basically, the idea I'm getting is that Nintendo set the attitude that would remain prevalent in the video game industry and is ultimately responsible for the "hardcore" attitude, which is the very reason why they are suffering... well, not suffering, but why they still get heckled despite their success. It's an interesting thought, but I'd like to see some correlating data to support the point and delve further into the issue before someone makes a thread out of it.

To make a long story, short, Nintendo was marketing with a "hardcore" mindset, and that alienated potential new customers. Sales dwindled over time because of that Elite attitude. Now, Nintendo caters to the the casual audience and are reaping the benefits.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

in terms of Hardcore... here's how I see it....

NES > Sega Master System
SNES < Sega Mega Drive
PS1 > Saturn > N64
PS2 > XBOX > Dream Cast > GC
PS3 > 360 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii

PSP > DS

Just an opinion...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

@Dgc: How can you even compare SNES to the Genesis, there's really no comparison at all. SNES was way more core and hardcore than genesis ever dreamed of.

You got it right for the rest, specially this gen.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

even GTA for the DS is tonned down, it's cartoony :/

@Jo21: LBP is a casual game right? But.. Bu .. But there's sackboys playing with toys and cardboard monstars!!

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
@Dgc: How can you even compare SNES to the Genesis, there's really no comparison at all. SNES was way more core and hardcore than genesis ever dreamed of.

You got it right for the rest, specially this gen.

Just my opinion... And I found these commercials amazing:

4 ≈ One

Jo21 said:
even GTA for the DS is tonned down, it's cartoony :/

I agree. Cocaine dealing is child's play.