By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii could sell for over 15 years.

atma998 said:
c0rd said:

@atma998: Just give it up.

Your argment looks terrible considering you're sided with the Wii. Most of the best selling games are mini game compilations. The games the Wii owners here play are not the Carnival Games, Mario & Sonic, and Game Party type, so it's unfair to apply that logic on PS360 owners.

As for Wii lasting 15 years, it's possible. It wouldn't be relevant for 15 years, but I can see it still being produced in small numbers.

What are you talking about? Let's take a look at the top 5 best selling games for each console.

Wii : 1-Wii Fit

2-Mario Kart Wii

3-SSBB

4-Super Mario Galaxy

5-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

X360 : 1-Halo 3 - FPS

2-Call of Duty 4 - FPS

3-GTA IV - Action/Sandbox

4-Gears of War - 3rd Person Shooter

5-Forza Motorsport 2 - Racer

PS3 : 1-GTA IV - Action/Sandbox

2-Call of Duty 4 - FPS

3-Motorstorm - Racer

4-MGS4 - Action Adventure

5-Resistance - FPS

Don't you see a pattern here? 4 games out of 5 are shooters for PS360 while the top 5 games on Wii are 5 different types of games. With that in mind I think that it's faire to assume that HD consoles are mainly shooter games sellers and this is a good reason why the mass market isn't interested in those kind of consoles.

PS3 - 2 Action
          2 FPS
          1 Racer

360 -  3 Shooters
          1 Action
          1 Racer

Just wanted to point out that your "4/5 PS360 top 5 are shooter comment" is BS....

And if we're counting exclusives only 1/3 of PS3's top 3 is a shooter......

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

i think when they elase the wii successor, the wii itself will still be manufactured and sold for a few more years.

it'll be like the ps2. if theres still people buying the system even after they release the next one, they won't just kill it.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

Sky Render said:
The Wii's maximum lifespan at this point is actually 15-20 years. It will remain high as long as no same-value competition exists. The longer it takes for same-value competitors to emerge, the longer it will live. This is not speculation or prediction, this is history: products catering to values which are not effectively catered to by any other products have extremely long lifespans simply because they have no competition for what they do.

Some call it monopoly, some call it Blue Ocean Strategy, but what it ultimately boils down to is that people will continue to buy a product which suits their values until a better option comes along. And even then, as long as the same-value competitor did not emerge before the original product gained mainstream appeal, the lifespan of the original product will remain high due to the fact that it was the first option to become well-known.

All that said, once a same-value competitor emerges which does things better than the Wii, its lifespan will drop. By how much depends greatly on 1.) when that competition emerges, 2.) how effective it is at catering to the same values as the Wii, and 3.) how well Nintendo responds to the threat.

So Wii will have a life span of 15-20 years assuming no significant competition emerges in almost 2 decades , Pretty weak don't you think ?

Doubt it

megaman2 said:

wtf we dont want 10 years of wii sports/fishing/hunting/wrestling/fit/sports/ski/play/baseball/tea drinking/basketball/christmas/easter/carnival

Lol.  I quite enjoyed wii hunting and Wii tea drinking.  Definitely better games than Metal Gear 4, GTA IV and Killzone 2. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network
Zeethr said:

simply ludacris to think that a console could live 15 yrs.  Wii isnt even the best looking out there so why would it be a contender when Sony and Microsoft showcase and launch new hardware?  despite its sales figures, wii is the worst of the big 3.   i for one am tired of upgraded staples such as Mario, MK, Mario Golf.  Honestly Wii is staying in Elementary while Sony and Microsoft go to College.   ha. 

You definitely sound like a troll.  The fact that you end with "ha" is a dead give away >.>

Also fun fact, highest rated exclusive of this gen is 97.009 which is roughly 0.2 below SMG.  Mind you, reviews are just opinions.  So are your facts, so ha to you my friend :P

Dgc1808 said:
atma998 said:
c0rd said:

@atma998: Just give it up.

Your argment looks terrible considering you're sided with the Wii. Most of the best selling games are mini game compilations. The games the Wii owners here play are not the Carnival Games, Mario & Sonic, and Game Party type, so it's unfair to apply that logic on PS360 owners.

As for Wii lasting 15 years, it's possible. It wouldn't be relevant for 15 years, but I can see it still being produced in small numbers.

What are you talking about? Let's take a look at the top 5 best selling games for each console.

Wii : 1-Wii Fit

2-Mario Kart Wii

3-SSBB

4-Super Mario Galaxy

5-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

X360 : 1-Halo 3 - FPS

2-Call of Duty 4 - FPS

3-GTA IV - Action/Sandbox

4-Gears of War - 3rd Person Shooter

5-Forza Motorsport 2 - Racer

PS3 : 1-GTA IV - Action/Sandbox

2-Call of Duty 4 - FPS

3-Motorstorm - Racer

4-MGS4 - Action Adventure

5-Resistance - FPS

Don't you see a pattern here? 4 games out of 5 are shooters for PS360 while the top 5 games on Wii are 5 different types of games. With that in mind I think that it's faire to assume that HD consoles are mainly shooter games sellers and this is a good reason why the mass market isn't interested in those kind of consoles.

PS3 - 2 Action
          2 FPS
          1 Racer

360 -  3 Shooters
          1 Action
          1 Racer

Just wanted to point out that your "4/5 PS360 top 5 are shooter comment" is BS....

And if we're counting exclusives only 1/3 of PS3's top 3 is a shooter......

Come on you think MGS4 and GTAIV aren't considered shooter game? Those two games are obviously third person shooter which make YOUR comment BS.

tuoyo said:
megaman2 said:

wtf we dont want 10 years of wii sports/fishing/hunting/wrestling/fit/sports/ski/play/baseball/tea drinking/basketball/christmas/easter/carnival

Lol.  I quite enjoyed wii hunting and Wii tea drinking.  Definitely better games than Metal Gear 4, GTA IV and Killzone 2.

Actually Wii tea Drinking sounds like fun, in an odd sort of way, maybe drining and having to guess the type of tea, or getting to brew your own concotions

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Million said:

So Wii will have a life span of 15-20 years assuming no significant competition emerges in almost 2 decades , Pretty weak don't you think ?

20 years is nothing to scoff at, particularly when you consider that the market lifespan of most electronics is less than 10 years.  As it stands, there's been only rumors of same-value competition, and even there, those suggestions have been from the incumbents (Sony and Microsoft).  Incumbents are notoriously unable to effectively deal with a Blue Ocean product and particularly with a market disruption.  More than likely, the first effective threat to the Wii will come not from MS or Sony, but from an outside source.  MS and Sony are too invested in the old values to disengage from them as far as Nintendo has, particularly since the backlash against their doing so would be immense and they would only get a portion of Nintendo's market at best anyway.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
Million said:

20 years is nothing to scoff at, particularly when you consider that the market lifespan of most electronics is less than 10 years.  As it stands, there's been only rumors of same-value competition, and even there, those suggestions have been from the incumbents (Sony and Microsoft).  Incumbents are notoriously unable to effectively deal with a Blue Ocean product and particularly with a market disruption.  More than likely, the first effective threat to the Wii will come not from MS or Sony, but from an outside source.  MS and Sony are too invested in the old values to disengage from them as far as Nintendo has, particularly since the backlash against their doing so would be immense and they would only get a portion of Nintendo's market at best anyway.

Apple seems like the only likely cantidate, but they lack the software to really go toe to toe with Nintendo

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)