By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge Issue 196 Reviews

shio said:
Acevil said:

First thing first, Edge has a score of 1-10 with 5 being average not 7.5. Most site use 7.5 as average. Which is why the video game rating system fails.

Second thing I can not speak for resistance 2 but I can understand why they gave Fallout 3 7. They tend to be picky on glitches and tech mumbo jumbo and fallout 3 does have problems. It isn't as polished as it should be.

This is only site I respect because they review games how they feel like it, not how you guys want it.

Exactly, EDGE is the most respectable videogaming magazine in the world, and they do not cater to publishers nor give fanservice.

I don't agree with many of EDGE's scores, but I atleast recognize them as the ones with the balls to actually use the full 1-10 scale.

I respect them for that fact a lot. I really wish I could buy it, but it is a UK only. I could order it, and I will one day.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
I usually agree with Edge.. but I cant see 6/10 for COD WaW, I just cant. It is every bit as good as COD4, its the same frickin engine, better graphics, improved multiplayer, co-op and better single player... how can it be so much lower in the scoring? Makes no sense.

I personally feel like it is a step down from COD4 and maybe they felt that aswell. I personally want to read what is the reasoning behind the review for L4D. I really wish I could pick this copy up.

kowenicki said:
@ acevil... a step down? in what way? please explain because I cant see that at all.

Well step down in eras, I am sick of WW2. Also multiplayer doesn't feel as fresh when I played it. Thats what I meant. I guess I'm a hater of WW2 stuff.

kowenicki said:
@ acevil... a step down? in what way? please explain because I cant see that at all.

Could be like many of my friends and myself just didn't like the WW2 setting.

DOATS1 said:

Reviews

Left 4 Dead - 9 (In line wth reviews)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 7 (10 points below average)
Gears of War 2 - 9 (3 points below average)
Fallout 3 - 7 (23 points below average)
Call of Duty: World at War - 6 (26 points below average)
Resistance 2 - 6 (28 points below average)
Mirror's Edge - 5 (30 points below average)
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - 7 (16 points below average)
007: Quantum of Solace - 5 (16 points below average)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - 8 (in line with reviews)
Guitar Hero: World Tour - 7 (15 points below average)
Animal Crossing City Folk - 7 (no other scores yet)
Ninjatown - 6 (24 points below average)
Command & Comnquer: Red Alert 3 - 7 (4 points below average)
Manhunt 2 - 4 (24 points below average)
Silent Hill: Homecoming: 6 (14 points below average)
Tom Clancy's Endwar - 8 (2 points below average)
Socom Confrontation - 5 (12 points below average)
Valkyria Chronicles - 7 (17 points below average)
Need for Speed Undercover - 3 (no other scores yet)
Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip - 7 (no other scores yet)

As you can see they rate games well below the average.

Most shocking reviews though:

1.Mirror's Edge

2.Resistance 2

3.Fallout 3

According to Edge: 'Shaun White Snowboarding' is a better game than Resistance 2, Mirror's Edge and COD:WAW. It's also on the same level and equally as good as Fallout 3.

Around the Network

I don't care what edge score are on Mirrors Edge, i am still getting it, that demo is one of the most freshest games i have played this GEN. Though i love and respect edge they can not sway me on this one. The very first time i heard about Mirrors Edge (ironically it was in an edge issue about 2-3 years ago) i new the game had to be mine.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Wow i can't believe 7/10 for Valkyrie chronicles, damn you edge, do they hate good games. Also Resistance 6/10. I have both of these games, and in no way accurate, review. Those reviews are pathetic, it's almost like fanboys wrote them. Valkyrie chronicles, is the best game i played this generation, and giving it 7/10. All i can say wow.

BornFirst. said:
I don't care what edge score are on Mirrors Edge, i am still getting it, that demo is one of the most freshest games i have played this GEN. Though i love and respect edge they can not sway me on this one. The very first time i heard about Mirrors Edge (ironically it was in an edge issue about 2-3 years ago) i new the game had to be mine.

Same here the demo convinced me I had to get the game (which I will pick up tonight).

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
BornFirst. said:

Same here the demo convinced me I had to get the game (which I will pick up tonight).

LOL, i think in the space of a few days i have played the demo close to a fifty times now, crazy or what

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

hanafuda said:

Predictable. No Wii Music review though? How odd..

It's a matter of publication time because it's a magazine after all. I mean WipEout HD was released end of September before the next issue in 4 or 5 days but had to wait until the next issue in October (end of) for the review.

Also

@Acevil

http://marketing.futurenet.com/__data/assets/file/764061/edge-200407.html

If you are in North America you can subscribe.

Hmm, pie.