By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge Issue 196 Reviews

NeoRatt said:
Edge is outspoken if nothing else. Can't say I agree with everything they put.

Their criteria sometimes is odd and inconsistent. But, at least they are honest about what they think. Glad to see there are no 10's. I don't think any game deserves a 10 yet this generation... MGS4, Halo 3, Bioshock, Gears 2, etc. were great, but not 10's.

Let's see, this generation Edge have given out 5 10s. That's half of their total number of 10s since their first publication. These games being Halo 3, Orange Box, Super Mario Galaxy, Grand Theft Auto 4 and LittleBigPlanet.

Even then, all these games were great but no game is a 10.

But people, please, this is Edge. A magazine that gave FFX a 6. It gave FFX-2 a 7. Don't expect them to fall in line with other reviewers.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

BTW, the cover... stolen from someone's photobucket:

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Zim said:
I don't think a 5 for mirrors edge is that strange. It's a short game, without multiplayer, with very little story, without incredibly impressive graphics. Giving it a 8 would be ridiculous because compared to other games it's lacking so much. If you take GOW2 as a 9. It has around the same length (maybe slightly longer looking at reviews), better graphics, seemingly even a better story and characters, a huge amount of multiplayer, co-op. So yea a 5 doesn't seem to far off.

I actually agree with their 7 for Fallout 3 as well. Bethesdas games lack polish. I don't care if the fallout 3 world is massive. The core gameplay is rubbish. Like playing a very bad FPS. Likewise Oblivion's combat was absoulute rubbish as well, Dark messiah of might and magic had freezing the ground to make people slip, good sword combat where equal swings would clash etc. Fallout 3's gameplay just lacks too much, the graphics aren't good (seriously the animation is horrific, especially when you consider games like GTA have managed good animation).

The only 2 I think are a little wrong is R2 and CoD:WaW. If quantum of solace is a 5 then they should be 8's or 7's at least.

Slow down there fellow.  Or you risk even more FAIL than Edge. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Kantor said:
Barozi said:
DOATS1 said:

Reviews

Left 4 Dead - 9
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 7
Gears of War 2 - 9
Fallout 3 - 7
FAIL
Call of Duty: World at War - 6
FAIL
Resistance 2 - 6
FAIL
Mirror's Edge - 5
FAIL
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - 7
007: Quantum of Solace - 5
Tomb Raider: Underworld - 8
Guitar Hero: World Tour - 7
Animal Crossing City Folk - 7
Ninjatown - 6
Command & Comnquer: Red Alert 3 - 7
Manhunt 2 - 4
Silent Hill: Homecoming: 6
Tom Clancy's Endwar - 8
Socom Confrontation - 5
Valkyria Chronicles - 7
FAIL
Need for Speed Undercover - 3
FAIL
Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip - 7

It's Edge. Everything fails.

Edge are just generally complete bullshit-spewing morons.

Word. Edge is shite. Who buys that crap? Embarassed to admit I once subscribed to it, a long time ago.

PSN - hanafuda

Bitmap Frogs said:

BTW, the cover... stolen from someone's photobucket:

Predictable. No Wii Music review though? How odd..

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network

R2 a 6? GoW a 9? fuck you Edge.

tuoyo said:
Zim said:
I don't think a 5 for mirrors edge is that strange. It's a short game, without multiplayer, with very little story, without incredibly impressive graphics. Giving it a 8 would be ridiculous because compared to other games it's lacking so much. If you take GOW2 as a 9. It has around the same length (maybe slightly longer looking at reviews), better graphics, seemingly even a better story and characters, a huge amount of multiplayer, co-op. So yea a 5 doesn't seem to far off.

I actually agree with their 7 for Fallout 3 as well. Bethesdas games lack polish. I don't care if the fallout 3 world is massive. The core gameplay is rubbish. Like playing a very bad FPS. Likewise Oblivion's combat was absoulute rubbish as well, Dark messiah of might and magic had freezing the ground to make people slip, good sword combat where equal swings would clash etc. Fallout 3's gameplay just lacks too much, the graphics aren't good (seriously the animation is horrific, especially when you consider games like GTA have managed good animation).

The only 2 I think are a little wrong is R2 and CoD:WaW. If quantum of solace is a 5 then they should be 8's or 7's at least.

Slow down there fellow.  Or you risk even more FAIL than Edge. 

Just a question: how much would you rate Fallout 1 and 2? Fallout 1 and 2 are better than Fallout 3, and they came out ten years ago.

First thing first, Edge has a score of 1-10 with 5 being average not 7.5. Most site use 7.5 as average. Which is why the video game rating system fails.

Second thing I can not speak for resistance 2 but I can understand why they gave Fallout 3 7. They tend to be picky on glitches and tech mumbo jumbo and fallout 3 does have problems. It isn't as polished as it should be.

It's one thing to be harsh but when you're 20% under the second lowest review (Mirror's Edge) , there's something really wrong with your scoring.

Signature goes here!

Acevil said:

First thing first, Edge has a score of 1-10 with 5 being average not 7. Most site use 7 as average. Which is why the video game rating system fails.

Second thing I can not speak for resistance 2 but I can understand why they gave Fallout 3 7. They tend to be picky on glitches and tech mumbo jumbo and fallout 3 does have problems. It isn't as polished as it should be.

This is only site I respect because they review games how they feel like it, not how you guys want it.

Exactly, EDGE is the most respectable videogaming magazine in the world, and they do not cater to publishers nor give fanservice.

I don't agree with many of EDGE's scores, but I atleast recognize them as the ones with the balls to actually use the full 1-10 scale.