By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So let me get this straight, Microsoft is chocking sony to death

Cheating, stolen, hahaha.

Post NPD meltdown on Vgchartz!

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

Btw I wrote this in another thread but its applicable here. Oh yeah, Microsoft has been involved with gaming on the PC side longer than Sony has, since before Windows 3.11 even.

I think like I made a thread earlier about, Sony has a big problem with their 1st party developers. 3 first party titles, LBP - Motorstorm - Socom (Hardware bundle) hardly made a dent in the overall sales. I have LBP myself, its an awesome game and I really do wish it well but having 3 games not do well at the same time and especially one with quite as substantial a marketing effort as LBP will do no favours for the Playstation divisions bottom line.

Sony as a whole doesn't look like they are going to be in for as pleasant a Christmas as they could have hoped. With a high yen and consumer confidence dropping they can ill afford the Playstation division dragging the companies bottom line through the red ink.

What does this mean for PS3 strategy in the future? Since they probably can't afford to even consider dropping the price for another 11 months if the main company does poorly over the next couple of quarters, their strategy will likely turn into attempting to achieve a profitable third place rather than potentially going toe to toe with a profit washed Microsoft with price cuts.

I wonder what this all might mean for Home? Will they be forced to charge a subscription fee? They have to increase their revenue whereever they can, and that may be one of the places they attempt to do so.

This may be as close as the Playstation ever got to overtaking the Xbox 360...

Tease.

is not bussines when you are in red numbers...in spanish we call it MONOPOLIO

snakeftw said:
is not bussines when you are in red numbers...in spanish we call it MONOPOLIO

"Mono-polio," the horrible disease that combines Mono and Polio into a single, devastating package?  I have heard of this.  I guess the whole vaccination thing didn't catch on in Spain, huh?

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Squilliam said:
Btw I wrote this in another thread but its applicable here. Oh yeah, Microsoft has been involved with gaming on the PC side longer than Sony has, since before Windows 3.11 even.

I think like I made a thread earlier about, Sony has a big problem with their 1st party developers. 3 first party titles, LBP - Motorstorm - Socom (Hardware bundle) hardly made a dent in the overall sales. I have LBP myself, its an awesome game and I really do wish it well but having 3 games not do well at the same time and especially one with quite as substantial a marketing effort as LBP will do no favours for the Playstation divisions bottom line.

Sony as a whole doesn't look like they are going to be in for as pleasant a Christmas as they could have hoped. With a high yen and consumer confidence dropping they can ill afford the Playstation division dragging the companies bottom line through the red ink.

What does this mean for PS3 strategy in the future? Since they probably can't afford to even consider dropping the price for another 11 months if the main company does poorly over the next couple of quarters, their strategy will likely turn into attempting to achieve a profitable third place rather than potentially going toe to toe with a profit washed Microsoft with price cuts.

I wonder what this all might mean for Home? Will they be forced to charge a subscription fee? They have to increase their revenue whereever they can, and that may be one of the places they attempt to do so.

This may be as close as the Playstation ever got to overtaking the Xbox 360...

Home Member ship cards,Confirmed?

Around the Network

Seriously.  Because your having a big fit over Videogames.

Maybe when you get older you'll relise how dumb it is to do so.

leo-j said:

Well yes, thats exactly whats happening.

Microsoft is what is stopping sony from its "dominance" over the gaming market.

Whats going on? Well were to begin.

They have stolen every single game that was considered a playstation franchise developed by any 3rd party studio(yes stolen, Im so sure that SQUARE didnt decide to release STAR OCEAN 4 a massive RPG on the XBOX 360 exclusively all by themselves)

They have made sony gain a terrible image in the gaming industry

They have tricked consumers into thinking the XBOX 360 is the superior machine, because the original XBOX was better hardware wise

They created the catch phrase "Wii60"

They have dropped the price to MASS MARKET price, even though that might have but them in the red.

All I know is, Microsoft wants SONY out of the gaming industry, that has since been there goal since the original XBOX, and im sure they will offer 2-3billion dollars of losses for that to happen.

Buisness is buisness, and guess what, cheating is the perfect way to win.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about... But dropping your price to mass-market price, getting good games and making good catchphrases is called Marketing strategy! Not cheating! Microsoft did it right this time, apparently Sony didn't! Too bad... Get over it! It's not cheating! It's competing and trying to make your product come out on top!

Was Sony nabbing FF7 from the N64 cheating?!... And no, don't tell me that's a whole different story! It's marketing strategy!!!

THE NETHERLANDS

lol @ title "chocking" i think you meant "choking"

Why is this topic still going, darth ended it on page 1

Edit: Anyone who thinks Microsoft can justify dropping enough capital to buy out Nintendo may be literally insane. That would take an immense amount of their market capital - maybe as much as 15%. The company would implode.

Look, most major companies 'cheat' from a certain point of view. Sony have, MS have, etc.

Do I like the idea of companies winning advantage with money rather than superior products/services? No, because there is plenty of evidence the final result isn't so good for the consumer - whether Sony do it or MS do it.

But its business and the truth is the fairest player rarely wins. Personally I wish MS had to recall 360, not because I've anything against MS from a fanboy perspective, simply because I believe the strong sales of a poor product (from a reliability point of view) is a bad precedence for consumers. But gamers of course aren't too fussy about the actual built quality of something so long as it plays games they want and they can get it fixed under warranty.

On the other hand MS has delivered great games and Live is a very good service via 360 and have sunk money into extended warranty, etc. The shame is, IMO, that the original Xbox was a very good console and I was disappointed by the cheap feel of 360 and its terrible reliability - but of course that means nothing versus market perception, getting to market first, etc. as the better sales of 360 over Xbox show.

On the other hand Sony made life difficult for themselves with the specification and cost of the PS3. And that's their own issue. I personally find the PS3 good value because I wanted WiFi, HD content (via BR), etc. But for many the PS3 was too things in one (and games console and a BR player) when they only wanted to buy one of the two (a games console). Sony have also been arrogant and figured they would 'win' just because they were Sony. In short, to a certain extent they were asking for it. They've also fumbled major game releases and been very slow to react.

I could cry over the fate of LBP at the moment. It's the best game this year by miles (and yes I'm playing Gears 2, Fallout 3, etc at the moment but they all pale next to LBP. Yet the decision to delay LBP launch, to create a perception it had 'dodgy' content and 'insulted Islam' was just insane IMHO. For the record the nearest game to LBP for me is actually Fable 2, in terms of innovation and pure fun - but this is a story for another thread...

I'd like to live in a fair world with fair trading... but that's so far off I don't lose sleep over it. And truth be told the problem is more the consumer rather than the company.

We support unfair trading when we buy a Sony console when they pay for FF, or buy a 360 when the damn thing wasn't working properly and should have been re-designed, or when we flock to buggy products due to hype then grumble afterward.

We can chose to withhold our money any time we want... but we rarely do and we get our just deserts with companies taking every advantage they think the market will absorb - and its clear already gamers are willing to take a lot more crap that other consumers so long as they get the games... so buggy releases, high failure rates, expensive peripherals, money-hatting, etc. are likely to be here to stay.

But don't mind me, I'm just bitter because I do withhold purchase where I think I should but the rest of the market lets me down :(

Oh well, back to LBP...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...