By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So let me get this straight, Microsoft is chocking sony to death

Paul_Warren said:
"Yeah, but since wii was released that strategy doesn't won't work anymore. Maybe on ps3 but wii is untouchable."

If Microsoft takes out Sony this gen, they will either take out or buy out Nintendo next gen.

Can you please explain how the hell they're going to manage this?

First of all, they couldn't even buy Nintendo during the Gamecube days. Now that Nintendo has exploded in profits, it would be even more impossible for Microsoft. They're worth what, twice as much as Sony is now?

Second of all, how would they "take out" Nintendo next gen? Even at Nintendo's lowest (the Gamecube), they barely sold more consoles. They managed this with Nintendo making a profit out of the console, and Microsoft losing $4 billion.

OT: Yeah, anyone crying about Microsoft "cheating" is one with too much Sony bias. Sony had their chance "bullying" the little guys (gaming companies, Sega & Ninty). Unfortunately for them Microsoft has now arrived, and they have no reason to play "nice." Unless you want to argue that 2 of the 3 major companies are "cheaters," it's useless. Hell, Nintendo didn't exactly play nice when they were in control either.

As for Sony being arrogant this gen - I don't think it mattered all that much. I didn't pay attention to the console industry at the time, so I never heard about the two jobs thing. Even if they didn't talk shit, it wouldn't change much - no matter how they try to spin it, the console price of $599 is doing the talking.

Oh, lastly - the Square Enix thing. I think those SE quotes are a bit arrogant. The Wii and DS has shown how insignificant they are in the console race.

Around the Network
chaospluto said:
In the end, MS wants to have it's feet in EVERYTHING.

1st it was Computers
2nd it was MP3 Players
Currently it's Gaming

and once they know they have a hold of the gaming market it will be something new.

It's only true, that's the sad part.

In the end, Sony wants to have it's feet in EVERYTHING.

1st it was Audio Devices
2nd it was Televisions
Currently it's Gaming

and once they know they have a hold of the gaming market it will be something new.

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th

auxerre said:
chaospluto said:

1st it was Computers
2nd it was MP3 Players
Currently it's Gaming

1st it was Audio Devices
2nd it was Televisions
Currently it's Gaming

LOL,Nice comeback man.

I don't understand, do you people not believe that Sony will destroy the 360 for 2nd place this gen?

Its called foresight, and the PS3 has nothing but a positive future.
(long term wise when compared to the 360)

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Someone may want to investigate the impact of PS3 gaming on the language centers of the brain, because every one of these Pro-PS3, Anti-360/Wii rants by Sony fanboys is littered with bad grammar and spelling.

Around the Network
HALOOOOOOOO said:
Neither company is evil. How can any company that puts out great consoles and games be considered evil? Selling consoles at a loss and making it up with software sales is not evil. It's how business is run. I don't know how many people have said this already in this thread, but you retards who keep saying "MS/Sony are evil!" need to read those posts. Now.

By the way, I'd say the companies are more arrogant than evil.

I don't believe either is evil - I don't believe companies have that capacity in the first place, but in the spirit of your point I am largely willing to extend the idea to the people running these companies.

That said, for argument's sake I'll point out that there is a reason the fallen angel was Lucifer, the most beautiful of all the angels. Evil is not something hideous and ugly. If it was, we would all run from it. Evil is seductive, attractive, alluring. Evil would not exist if it could not tempt the good, or, as George Carlin put it, when fascism returns it will be with happy faces.

In that vein, one could argue that great consoles and games are trojan horses, perhaps meant to lure us from better, more productive, more charitable persuits. Or perhaps they are a way to gain a foothold in our collective consciousness, through which Sony or MS plans to subvert our independence through the manipulation of information.

Again, I don't believe that's the case, but I don't think great consoles are neccessarily separate from evil intent.

chaospluto said:

1st it was Computers
2nd it was MP3 Players
Currently it's Gaming

-First it was consumer electronics.

-Same thing with Sony buying out Columbia pictures and adding it as a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

-Same thing with Sony making MP3 Players and failing big time. Giving shitty GB and quality and expecting it to sell on name value alone.

-Same thing with gaming throwing their weight around with lesser companies in Nintendo and Sega.

Kutaragi convinced Sony that making their own console would save them from getting their asses handed to them in the electronics department. The laughed at him first and threatened his job, and then eventually followed suit.

Garnett said:
auxerre said:
chaospluto said:

1st it was Computers
2nd it was MP3 Players
Currently it's Gaming

1st it was Audio Devices
2nd it was Televisions
Currently it's Gaming

LOL,Nice comeback man.

Damn! He beat me to it.

DTG said:
Business shouldn't equal immoral. Trying to make a profit from consumers (rather than selling at a loss like Sony to offer better value) and hurting another company that employs thousands of people is wrong.

Out of all your insane posts, this is the best yet.  If you're so naive as to think that Sony had willingly chosen not to earn a profit on their console in order to "offer better value", you must live in a strange and wonderful fantasy world.  The simple fact is that if Sony had actually priced their console at a point that would earn them some profit, they would've sold about thirty-five of them on launch day.  And probably a good twenty or thirty more after that, at least.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

GooseGaws said:
DTG said:
Business shouldn't equal immoral. Trying to make a profit from consumers (rather than selling at a loss like Sony to offer better value) and hurting another company that employs thousands of people is wrong.

Out of all your insane posts, this is the best yet.  If you're so naive as to think that Sony had willingly chosen not to earn a profit on their console in order to "offer better value", you must live in a strange and wonderful fantasy world.  The simple fact is that if Sony had actually priced their console at a point that would earn them some profit, they would've sold about thirty-five of them on launch day.  And probably a good twenty or thirty more after that, at least.

Um no. Sony manipulates formats each gen to try and take control of a specific electronics market. They use videogames dually to reach this end. The PS3 was a sacrifice to save Blu Ray from dying out with HD-DVD. The people didn't respond to HD-DVD and Blu Ray. Forcing Blu Ray down peoples throats IS IMMORAL. Sony wasn't giving the better value to the consumer. They were saving a dwindling alternative DVD format. They became cocky and believed that they could dig a hole in peoples pockets just because their name is Sony and then to top it off, Kaz Hirai at launch told people that they would work the extra hours to get their hands on this. He said this in America. That doesn't fly in America. Maybe in Japan, but we don't have the same customs. You want arrogance and immoral nature...look no further than Sony. Microsoft as a game company has actually been less assholes than Sony this gen.