By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft looks to 100 million consoles with 360, NPD to show 2:1 ratio to PS3 for October

illuminatus said:
I think the most important part of this gen begins when mass market starts to get HD-ready around late 2009. Since mass market never buys the console which is in third place the 360 then will get a really huge boost. 100m is too optimistic but 70m is possible. And although Wii sales over the past weeks just were incredible it remains to be seen if it still is in front of the 360 on 31th Dec. 2011.

Are you freaking kidding me? Nintendo has estimated around 50mil (or 54 mil not sure) by March 31st 2009. So even if things go really bad in 2009 for Nintendo they'll be at least 70mil by March 31st 2010 and you just said you possibly see the 360 at 70mil lifetime.

Now, I'll let you figure out what's wrong with the bolded statement in your quote.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:
I think the most important part of this gen begins when mass market starts to get HD-ready around late 2009. Since mass market never buys the console which is in third place the 360 then will get a really huge boost. 100m is too optimistic but 70m is possible. And although Wii sales over the past weeks just were incredible it remains to be seen if it still is in front of the 360 on 31th Dec. 2011.

Are you freaking kidding me? Nintendo has estimated around 50mil (or 54 mil not sure) by March 31st 2009. So even if things go really bad in 2009 for Nintendo they'll be at least 70mil by March 31st 2010 and you just said you possibly see the 360 at 70mil lifetime.

Now, I'll let you figure out what's wrong with the bolded statement in your quote.

54m Wii (or even 50m) by March 31st 2009 seems 'very optimistic'...

illuminatus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:

Okay, I did my research (I should have done it before but I'm lazy like that) and here is a quote from an article for The Source concerning Nintendo's financial report :

"Nintendo raised Wii shipment projections for the year ending March 2009 by 1m to 27.5m. If Nintendo hits its current projection, worldwide Wii shipments will be 51.95m units on March 31 2009 alongside shipments of 101.1m DS portables."

So I wasn't that far off with my numbers.

Signature goes here!

wow a lot of hate for MS in this thread its just sad expessially when people are saying the PS3 3 will outsell the 360

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:

Okay, I did my research (I should have done it before but I'm lazy like that) and here is a quote from an article for The Source concerning Nintendo's financial report :

"Nintendo raised Wii shipment projections for the year ending March 2009 by 1m to 27.5m. If Nintendo hits its current projection, worldwide Wii shipments will be 51.95m units on March 31 2009 alongside shipments of 101.1m DS portables."

So I wasn't that far off with my numbers.

But this is only an announcement by Nintendo. I don't think they will have sold through 50m by the end of March 2009.

Maybe the 360 has 75m by Dec. 31 2011 and the Wii 80m, but the decline from the huge sales the Wii in the past weeks had could come sooner than some people expect. The Hula Hoop  once also had unbelievable sales for some time and one year later was almost  unsellable.

Around the Network
illuminatus said:

But this is only an announcement by Nintendo. I don't think they will have sold through 50m by the end of March 2009.

Maybe the 360 has 75m by Dec. 31 2011 and the Wii 80m, but the decline from the huge sales the Wii in the past weeks had could come sooner than some people expect. The Hula Hoop  once also had unbelievable sales for some time and one year later was almost  unsellable.

You do know the only way Wii sales are going until Christmas is up right? Also, the "Wii is a fad argument" is so old that it has retired and went to Florida by now.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:

You do know the only way Wii sales are going until Christmas is up right? Also, the "Wii is a fad argument" is so old that it has retired and went to Florida by now.

The Wii now is 2 years on the market. The customers of the Wii mainly are people who didn't ever buy a console before so the live cycle of the Wii also could be different from the typical live cycle of a console.

illuminatus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:

The Wii now is 2 years on the market. The customers of the Wii mainly are people who didn't ever buy a console before so the live cycle of the Wii also could be different from the typical live cycle of a console.

Yes. It will probably last far longer than the usual console. And at the end if its third year, a typical console probably has past 60% of its lifetime sales.

TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:

haxxiy said:
illuminatus said:
TruckOSaurus said:
illuminatus said:

Yes. It will probably last far longer than the usual console. And at the end if its third year, a typical console probably has past 60% of its lifetime sales.

It also could last shorter than the usual console.