By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

"Gaming industry has barely been hit by this crisis."

I little bit of an understatement, the game industry has been hit relatively heavy this year so far. We've had so many studio closures and layoffs this year it's crazy. Right now is not a good time to be unemployed and looking for a job in this biz, since it's been flooded with people.

Around the Network
c0rd said:
Everstar said:
kowenicki said:
Well it wont kill it will it... PS3 marginally beating 360 in Others and 360 beating PS3 in Americas. 360 will edge out the PS3 Worlwide I think.

Wii will be ridiculous though! And I mean record breaking ridiculous if the supply is finally sorted for this christmas.

but the 360 has been beating it in others 4 a while now =P

The 360 has been beating it, though I wouldn't exactly say "killing" it.

To be fair, a few months ago few people actually thought this was possible. Especially after the PS3's amazing start this year - the 360 beating the PS3 for the holidays? Really, it's quite an accomplishment. I wonder if it can ever sell enough to create doubt for the PS3 passing it at all, as so many people still think it's a given.

OT: The last 10 weeks sounds good to me.

So the holidays sales have already started?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Zucas said:
kylohk said:
I think sales between Nov and Dec can be considered holiday sales. The people generally start preparing for Christmas during mid November.

Maybe but I'll think you'll understand why it starts on Black Friday when we get sales for that week.  I mean Wii and DS are just beast in general but you can tell from PS360 sale that it hasn't started huge holiday increases.  Wait til Black Friday week and you'll see all 4 get those jumps.

It's the reason why all of you big games release late October and early to mid November.  They all want to have their games steadily on the market so that they can sell huge numbers on Black Friday week and thereafter.

No offense, but not everything is "according to the US schedule"..

I agree with Zucas. Around the first of November is when a lot of American's start to shop for Christmas.

Zucas said:
sega4life said:

Unemployment just hit 25 year high.

Recession is here.

Depression is now a major possibility.

You can't campair years past because the world hasn't been in this state of crisis for many, many, many years.

The cheaper systems will sell the most.

Gaming industry has barely been hit by this crisis.  Many say that many are using gaming as a way out of stress from the crisis which have cause sales to continuously go up... evne over last year's record numbers.

And actually I'd challenge you on that.  I'd say if there was to be less buying during the holidays this would affect the mainstream buyers, because they are majority buyer's during the time.  Although I do see how PS3 could be affected compared to 360 this holiday season in America.  But Wii, 360, DS, PSP, and PS2 should be fine.  If anything about this is going to affect any console in America, it'll be PS3.

You couldn't be more wrong, For Starters in todays news. Heck even the all mighty EA has been having problems.

Yes it's true during rough times instead of a family going to the movies on the weekend and spending roughly $35-$45 on tickets and popcorn for 2hours, they tend to get a lasting entertainment experience like buying a video game or DvD. Not to mention it helps keep their mind off their problems..

But that was fine and dandy when we "Thought" times were rough, Now times "Are" rough, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Like I said above very few families have seen this kind of crisis in recent memory, this is a new for many.

No more "I will get this and sit at home and play for a few weeks"

It's now "I wonder if I will have a home in a few weeks"

If you think this is just a "US" problem, then you better start reading up on world business, in case you didn't know Japan is now opening up a large Multi Billion dollar crisis package to help them selves out.

Europe is losing it's banks just like the US, not to mention the WW Recession, that can and might go into a depression.

When one country is in a crisis, it creates a domino effect.

Will I think game sales be high this Holiday? Of course it will because it's the holidays, but it won't be what everyone thinks.

It will be high for a world in financial crisis and that's about it, and thats not saying much.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

If you think this is just a "US" problem, then you better start reading up on world business, in case you didn't know Japan is now opening up a large Multi Billion dollar crisis package to help them selves out.

Europe is losing it's banks just like the US, not to mention the WW Recession, that can and might go into a depression.

When one country is in a crisis, it creates a domino effect.

Well, crudely put, if the US is in trouble, the world suffers, because the US has made some shitty deals.
And in Europe, most people are not "afraid to lose their home" because our markets are / were not as shoddy as the US markets.

Everstar said:

When are sales consider holiday sales?

I hear of lot of people saying PS3 will beat the 360 or the 360 beat the PS3 in holiday sales.

I was just wonder when are sales holiday sales.

Becuase if these sales are considered for the Holiday then i see  no reason why the 360 wont kill the PS3

well 360 is this year likely to edge out ps3 in sales, thats the better wording, i dont know how you got the "kill the ps3" from.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

CaNCeRthecrabus said:
"Gaming industry has barely been hit by this crisis."

I little bit of an understatement, the game industry has been hit relatively heavy this year so far. We've had so many studio closures and layoffs this year it's crazy. Right now is not a good time to be unemployed and looking for a job in this biz, since it's been flooded with people.

Blame that on HD development costs. Companies that have supported strongly the Wii/DS are doing great. The others are not doing so well...

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

mrstickball said:
With all consoles combining for sales of 1,000,000 units last week (Wii, PS3, PS2, X360) the answer is "now". 1m this early into November is amazing.

But as others have said, Black Friday in the US is the start of the buying frenzy (although we've already seen NA and Others take significant positive strides as of late).

With the X360 already selling 250,000 units this week, it bodes very well for the console. I would venture to say we'll see the Wii hit 1,000,000 units/wk for at least 1 week before the uber-Christmas week, and up to 3 weeks @ 1m a week...Will be interesting to see if the Wii can break it's record last year and move 2 million consoles in a week. Would be insane if it happened.

Microsoft will have another banner year thanks to the price drop + strong library...I think it could flirt with the 1,000,000 mark on the week before Christmas.

Sony? I'm not too positive about Sony. It's been a year since the price drop, and a $400 present isn't going to look the nicest next to a $200 X360 and a $250 Wii. I think it'll sell on the same level it did last year.

thats what people said last year regarding ps3, look how it turned out, last fall ps3 ended up doing tremendously well, if im mistaken it out pipped 360 worldwide or similar level to 360 sales.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

c0rd said:
Everstar said:
kowenicki said:
Well it wont kill it will it... PS3 marginally beating 360 in Others and 360 beating PS3 in Americas. 360 will edge out the PS3 Worlwide I think.

Wii will be ridiculous though! And I mean record breaking ridiculous if the supply is finally sorted for this christmas.

but the 360 has been beating it in others 4 a while now =P

The 360 has been beating it, though I wouldn't exactly say "killing" it.

To be fair, a few months ago few people actually thought this was possible. Especially after the PS3's amazing start this year - the 360 beating the PS3 for the holidays? Really, it's quite an accomplishment. I wonder if it can ever sell enough to create doubt for the PS3 passing it at all, as so many people still think it's a given.

OT: The last 10 weeks sounds good to me.

it is an acomplishment but its only been able to do it with major price cuts, before major price cuts, it was tracking much lower than ps3. when taking consideration of pricing eg. this weeks sales, ps3 looks most impressive. 360 having a major major game released in gears 2 with a much lower price point.............and only 30k ish more consoles sold, it doesnt seem all that good