By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Walmart breaking street date with Animal Crossing

axumblade said:
I wonder if Nintendo is going to actually punish the companies for releasing the game early. I know Sony hasn't done anything yet about LBP. It seems the Microsoft seems to be the only one that's actually taken action (when Fable 2 came out).

Actually, wasn't there that Australian (I think) company that broke LBP street date and was fined and banned from selling the title for a week or so?

This was during the recall debacle if I remember correctly...

I can't remember now who or where this happened, maybe someone can dredge out a link

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

They did it with LBP, and now with AC.. bad Walmart, bad...

sega4life said:
soulsamurai said:
wfz said:
Does Walmart ever get in trouble for doing this? It seems they don't have enough incentive to crack down on this sort of thing, or they'd have done it already.

there is a 10,000 fine per store caught releasing titles pre street however walmart gains much money from releasing early so they gladly pay the fine. Most the time its 10 stores caught, and considering how many presale copies the sale from releasing early they don't mind.

Wal*Mart does not get fined for early released games.

being the largest corporation in the world has it's perks.

Do you want to be the person on the phone telling them:

You: "OK you sold 3 copies early, that will be $30,000."

WM: "Thats fine, & we would just like to point out that we will not be carrying any other game from your company... Ever."

You: "touché"

Remember, Wal*Mart is the main reason why PC games are starting to be sold in smaller boxes. The PC sectio was taking up space in some isles, Wal*Mart didn't ask they told companies to change the boxes or they will stop selling PC games, and look we now have smaller boxes.

I think Wal*Mart is owned by Chuck Norris.

You have got to be kidding me. Wal Mart wouldn't be stupid enough to not carry any Nintendo games ever again. That's the same as killing off 40% of your video game sales.

Other than that. Whoa! Animal Crossing releases in November? I thought it was ala 20th December.

So the game releases in 3 days. Then this will have no cause for VGChartz figures, as all will be in the same week.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:

You have got to be kidding me. Wal Mart wouldn't be stupid enough to not carry any Nintendo games ever again. That's the same as killing off 40% of your video game sales.

Other than that. Whoa! Animal Crossing releases in November? I thought it was ala 20th December.

So the game releases in 3 days. Then this will have no cause for VGChartz figures, as all will be in the same week.

no, The leaked sales are in a different week than the Release sales.

However, if only Walmart leaked sales, then there is no way to track them and the'll be bundled into next weeks sales, as no one has access to walmart sales including NPD.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

It's not bullshit what im saying here's some proof with K-Mart. You do get fined, and it's quite a bit of money. My store got fined $10,000 for 7 copies of Halo 3.

There was a post around here that showed about 50 or some odd percent of people go to walmart first for video games, much of this we contributed to the fact that they break release dates. The fines are usually 10,000 per store, but not every store gets caught. It's something they are willing to do to considering the sell so many copies before it actually out.

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/kmart-fined-for-breaking-street-date-009433.php

Some more reads -

http://www.ripten.com/2007/11/08/best-buy-will-not-break-release-date-on-super-mario-galaxy/

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Around the Network

OT but I have to say I don't get the big deal about this game. Got the Gamecube version was addicted for a while but then it became the most repetitive thing ever. Harvest Moon is a million times better but this will sell a million times more mainly because it is made by Nintendo.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tuoyo said:
OT but I have to say I don't get the big deal about this game. Got the Gamecube version was addicted for a while but then it became the most repetitive thing ever. Harvest Moon is a million times better but this will sell a million times more mainly because it is made by Nintendo.

agreed

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

nordlead said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

no, The leaked sales are in a different week than the Release sales.

However, if only Walmart leaked sales, then there is no way to track them and the'll be bundled into next weeks sales, as no one has access to walmart sales including NPD.

Ahh, sorry. I thought today was Wednesday, and that the official release was saturday.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Man, I'd check Wal-Mart if I didn't already have it reserved at Gamestop.

Maynard_Tool said:
^ i THINK, i read somewhere that wal-mart accounts for a good percentage of games sold in the US. But, again, probably im going crazy

I'm sure they do..but what I'm saying is, if Wal-Mart stops selling a game, it's not going to lower the sales of that game at all.  The people that want the game are going to find the game somewhere else, they aren't just going to not buy it because Wal-Mart doesn't have it.  Wal-Mart will be the one losing out, because they'll be the only one losing money.