By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM September Issue Review Scores- Lair and Blue Dragon Disappoint

ckmlb said:
People need to avoid overreacting to one magazine's reviews, but apparently EGM didn't like the game and I have faith in their reviews almost always.

Let's see what Gamespot and IGN do with Lair and BD. Something makes me think they will give them both higher scores ;)

Well... I mean wow though.  Those are REALLY harsh.  Reviews in the 7.5 range are fine.  That's within the "good depending on opinion range" but here 3 reviewers just gave it scores around 5.5.  Blue Dragon I could see getting higher scores elsewhere as EGM is harsh on turn based RPGs, but they certainly aren't on fliers. 

Around the Network

ckmlb, do you have their reasoning for their scores? I want to know why. I mean I would assume there had to be some kind of control or base gameplay formula issues for it to be scored that low.

Would anyone happen to know the reviews they gave to previous Factor 5 games, particularly those made for Gamecube? Might be a useful reference.

I've been fearful of the way Lair would play for a while. It looks like initially, it's great fun, but the novelty wears off faster than you would like. I mean, does anyone know if you change dragons, get more abilities as you advance, etc.? It might not offer up enough variety in gameplay or advancements.

Be patient and wait for other reviews.

They gave Rogue Squadron an 8.25, Rogue Squadron 2 a 9, and Rogue Squadron 3 a 7.15 (I'm thinking ground combat which ruined RS3's score may be what killed this game).

ckmlb said:

persona 3: 8.5, 9.5, 9.5
Game of the month: Persona 3 on PS2
9-10 is excellent

HOOORAY!!!!!! My RPG of the year got Game of the Month. too bad it got delayed till august 14. I hope more people from the vgchartz give it the attention it diserves.  

Around the Network

Where is a link to these scores??

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

There's no links to the scores they are from a reader who got the EGM September edition and posted the scores on Neogaf.

I still didn't get the magazine myself but should in the next few days or so. For now I can't say what the exact comments were.

Also, I have no idea when the IGN and Gamespot reviews will be up but I expect them to be up soon.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
There's no links to the scores they are from a reader who got the EGM September edition and posted the scores on Neogaf.

I still didn't get the magazine myself but should in the next few days or so. For now I can't say what the exact comments were.

Also, I have no idea when the IGN and Gamespot reviews will be up but I expect them to be up soon.

Cool, I'd appreciate it if you posted the general comments and impressions on the major games reviewed here when you get the chance.

Ari_Gold said:
ckmlb said:

persona 3: 8.5, 9.5, 9.5
Game of the month: Persona 3 on PS2
9-10 is excellent

HOOORAY!!!!!! My RPG of the year got Game of the Month. too bad it got delayed till august 14. I hope more people from the vgchartz give it the attention it diserves.  

I second this. This game is going be to be amazing by all accounts. If you like JRPGs by all means you need to play this. Also go back and play previous Shin Migami Tensei games, they are top quality.

naznatips said:
ckmlb said:

Cool, I'd appreciate it if you posted the general comments and impressions on the major games reviewed here when you get the chance.

Will do.