By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
NintendoMonopoly said:
Squilliam said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
Squilliam said:
Ail said:
trestres said:
Ohh the bitterness in Ail is just hilarious lol :P

Btw you are posting right now! Go play your games, you won't have enough time, right?

I can't bring my console to work or I would :((((

I'm not bitter, the success of the Wii hasn't affected my gaming at all and I'm not the one making bitter thread about the lack of releases on my consoles or the poor quality of third party software...

I am forced to offer my +1 manship. The Wii may have a large market share, but I doubt it has more than 1/3rd of the market I actually care about.

The PC market??? Ofcourse, not. Not yet, but wait until they start releasing killer application "games" like, "Pokemon PowerPoint", "Mario PhotoShop", "Wii Word". Then, you're going to see some crazzy:):):):):):) John Lucas like sales.

Maybe you don't care, but I happen to enjoy both casual and core games. Most normal gamers do, unlike diehard fanboys, that only care about brand image and snobcore gollums that are too far removed from the real world to see the light; that social gaming just might be fun. A type of fun that doesn't require investing constant meaningless devotion and sacrificing any existence of a personal life, but to each his own.

I personally don't care about Wii Fit (Though I own and continue to use it) Wii Sports (Always bundled) Wii Play (I even own this, was going to buy a controller but it was only $10 more) nor Links Xbow training (Another hardware bundle). I also definately don't care about another 100 or so releases which don't cater to me personally.

Just so I don't sound like a complete Wii hater to you, im personally very interested in sales of Mario Kart (Which I do admit I have yet to get for myself) and SSBB (for which I just purchased a GC controller for)

Btw Social game is fun, you should find out the joys of stomping your neighbour into oblivion in a multiplayer GOW match, its also one franchise which should translate to Wii type controls very well if Microsoft should choose to go in that direction next generation (Which I hope they do)

But why have any Wii hate at all? it's not like Nintendo killed your only son or left you marooned in a barren wasteland to die...

NIN-TEN-DOOO!!!!

God Of War is going to have a verus mode?!?!? Hot damn!!! Oh wait! You mean Gears. Really? That was the best thing you could think of for multi-play? Not L4D, which btw pails in comparison to HL2. Well, you did say MP3 didn't interest you at all. That speaks volumes about your taste in fps gaming. The 1st Gears was fun, but it was more about the campaign for me. Even that seemed a little redundant. Gears2 is is   living up to a lot of what was promised with the 1st, but the duck and cover system lends itself more to single/co-op, if you ask me. I expect part 3 to really impress.

"The joys of stomping your neighbor"... sure that's fun for awhile, when I'm playing more hardcore players, but this ideology about multi-player gaming is part of what's wrong with old school game designing. Why does it always have to be so damn serious? Do you think my non-gamer friends/family enjoy thoroughly getting the crap beaten out of them constantly? Hell, I don't enjoy it. It feels awkward and more than a little embarrassing.

I'd rather have it be more like a party, where it's just about having fun. I know, you're not going to try to tell me you haven't noticed, when people play Wii games in a group they're more excited, then when playing regular games. As added bonus, not only can I start up an off-line mp game easier, I also get to hang out with people that are actually fun to be around, instead of people that are completely anti-social.
       I guess we just have different taste. You completely miss the entertainment that the Wii brings. Your loss. I'm not sure how so many could be blind to how others could find the Wii to be an advancement to gaming in a lot of ways (not all, but a big brave leap by Ninty, none the less). It's not like I don't acknowledge the 360 & PS3 as fun. They are. It's just, for me they are secondary to PC+Wii+Handhelds. Which really is more than enough for most gamers.

Oh hell no

My issues with the Wii are these two:

1. The controller really can fire the imagination of developers I give them that, but unfortunately it doesn't have the performance to let their games go where their mind takes them.
  2. The controller simply doesn't work properly for me. Given the fact that it should be easy to set up, my 53" LCD doesn't give me any kind of precision when playing. Its disapointing but I don't have a 2nd TV.

So im not a Wii hater, but I am disapointed with what potential and scope there was for all manner of games but it could not be realized due to the conservatism of Nintendo. They didn't realise what they had, and if they did they didn't believe in it enough to give it the "right" kind of backing to really make their concept flourish for everyone and every possibility the human imagination could germinate.

Btw, consider a game - Halo 3, its got an attach rate thats higher than Mario-Kart and its the same game which defined social in the last generation. So to label FPS gamers as anti-social is pretty stereotypical.

Btw - have you played SSBB AND Halo 3 at the same time on the same TV with 5 other people? Picture in Picture is FTW I tell you!

Tease.

Around the Network
NintendoMonopoly said:
Kulle said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
Kulle said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
Squilliam said:
Ail said:
trestres said:

Btw you are posting right now! Go play your games, you won't have enough time, right?

I'm not bitter, the success of the Wii hasn't affected my gaming at all and I'm not the one making bitter thread about the lack of releases on my consoles or the poor quality of third party software...

I am forced to offer my +1 manship. The Wii may have a large market share, but I doubt it has more than 1/3rd of the market I actually care about.

The PC market??? Ofcourse, not. Not yet, but wait until they start releasing killer application "games" like, "Pokemon PowerPoint", "Mario PhotoShop", "Wii Word". Then, you're going to see some crazzy:):):):):):) John Lucas like sales.

Maybe you don't care, but I happen to enjoy both casual and core games. Most normal gamers do, unlike diehard fanboys, that only care about brand image and snobcore gollums that are too far removed from the real world to see the light; that social gaming just might be fun. A type of fun that doesn't require investing constant meaningless devotion and sacrificing any existence of a personal life, but to each his own.

So if you don't care about wii sports/fit/carnival games etc, you are a "snobcore gollum" or whatever. I just love your logic!

So MK & SSBB gameplay equal wii fit. There are other games on the Wii, you know. I'd say, if you can't respect some one enjoying those games, because you forcefully chose to be ignorant about it, than yes. Some people have limited taste and think it magicaly makes them better than other people. I think that by definition, is being a snob and plenty of people are naturally that way. Oh well! There's worse things to be and worse things to be called. That's not logic. That's just the way life is. You on the other hand , no. You're less of a gollum and more of a troll. That and maybe an alternate account.

Uh, what? He was talking about market that he doesn't care about. Which propably is that expanded/casual market what wii have captured. I think he mentioned that he is interested in those 2 games. Don't you think that is pretty funny statement, since you obviously think you are better than those "snobcore gollums"?

Oh Lord! I didn't say I was talking about Squid specifically, nor did I say I was better than core gamers. Amazing how people can be arrogant and then use reverse psychology, when called on it, though. I was j/k around about the Wii hate, even though what he said was more of a double-edged compliment, than anything else. That was brought up later, anyways. The bundle argument is so weak and bringing it up, is just beating a dead horse. Who cares? You're not lessoning to what I'm saying. You know you're right and I can't change you're mind, even if I actual gave a crap. So, let's just move on.

You quoted his comment, which would suggest that the post was meant to him. You are the arrogant one here, you call people snobcore because they don't care about some games. He was not mocking them, he just said that he doesn't care about that market. You really should listen to yourself. If you can't see any arrogance in your post, I feel sorry for you.

What bundle argument? Now I really don't understand what are you talking about.

Still disappointing, the Wii won't be reaching 60M by year end.

NintendoMonopoly said:
illuminatus said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
illuminatus said:
the curve of the Wii sales of the past 5 weeks in NA kinda looks unnatural...

the December probably will have weaker sales than expected.

Great logic!

Would you like to bet on that?

I never bet.

But I still believe that 4th quarter 2008 won't see more console sales than 4th quarter 2007 in NA

For your sake, it's probably a good thing you don't ever bet. Regardless, you set yourself up to look bad by constantly making absurd claims without evidence or even reasoning to back them up.

I don't see why the last 1/4 wouldn't be better for consoles in general, seeing how the 1st 3/4 of the year were. Not to mention, successful consoles generally have better year over year sales in their starting years. And when you add the fact, that Nintendo has up'd production and been stock piling Wii's, with the fact that Wii's have extraordinarily short self lives, it equals huge sales. As far as HD consoles go, MS has had a price cut, Sony has a new SKU out, and there has been a sudden burst in quality games being released.

The bottom line is... none of that is even necessary for a gain in console sales, because this is generally the time in game generations, when more people get onboard.

The first 3 quarters weren't hit hard by the financial crisis....the financial desasters really startet to heat up only recently.

The effects on the real economy are just at their beginning.

And there looms the credit card crisis with financial risks of about $3 bn. Car sales dropped sharply in October although they were quite constant in the first half of the year.

Just yesterday a saw a TV coverage on this problems...they showed American families now living in tents in the wood....people who now live in their car.

It would be really a very strange thing if this all does not have any effect on sales figures of videogame consoles...

If you don't understand this reasoning its really your problem.

Kulle said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
Kulle said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
Squilliam said:
Ail said:
trestres said:

So if you don't care about wii sports/fit/carnival games etc, you are a "snobcore gollum" or whatever. I just love your logic!

So MK & SSBB gameplay equal wii fit. There are other games on the Wii, you know. I'd say, if you can't respect some one enjoying those games, because you forcefully chose to be ignorant about it, than yes. Some people have limited taste and think it magicaly makes them better than other people. I think that by definition, is being a snob and plenty of people are naturally that way. Oh well! There's worse things to be and worse things to be called. That's not logic. That's just the way life is. You on the other hand , no. You're less of a gollum and more of a troll. That and maybe an alternate account.

Uh, what? He was talking about market that he doesn't care about. Which propably is that expanded/casual market what wii have captured. I think he mentioned that he is interested in those 2 games. Don't you think that is pretty funny statement, since you obviously think you are better than those "snobcore gollums"?

Personally, I don't care about SSBB or MK. If you like them, that is fine. :)

Call it my loss, I never owned a Nintendo console and never played a Mario game so I don't know what I am missing...

I had however a PS2 and bought around 40 games during the time I had it and almost all of those that have sequels or have similar games are on HD consoles...

My only issue this gen is that there are a couple titles I would want to play that are on the other HD console but I would have the same issue if I had a 360 over a PS3 and lets face it if I had both it would just mean I would have to skip more games ( GoW2 and Re2 at the same time would be too much for example, seeing how I am a trophy whore and both games would take a huge amount of time for 100% completion and I don't see the point of playing both extensively online, stick to one seems a better idea for me)....

Right now I have delayed purchasing 3 games in the last weeks because I'm not done with the current ones..(I delayed purchasing LBP and Motorstorm and delayed renting Fallout and Deadspace..).

As for Western third parties I think most of them have taken the attitude that in the end the gamers that want to play their games but only have a Wii so far will go multiplatform to do so which is why they are not attempting to make more Wii specific games.( and the fact that the HD consoles sales are not going down despite the fact that Wii is the clear hardware winner this gen does not invalidate that strategy...).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Still disappointing, the Wii won't be reaching 60M by year end.

In fiscal terms, John Lucas wasn't that far off... though I know that isn't what he said.

Squilliam said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
Squilliam said:
NintendoMonopoly said:
Squilliam said:
Ail said:
trestres said:

My issues with the Wii are these two:

1. The controller really can fire the imagination of developers I give them that, but unfortunately it doesn't have the performance to let their games go where their mind takes them.
  2. The controller simply doesn't work properly for me. Given the fact that it should be easy to set up, my 53" LCD doesn't give me any kind of precision when playing. Its disapointing but I don't have a 2nd TV.

I'd just like to say that i'm not intending to attack your points, per se, i'm just curious about what exactly you mean

1.Are you of the opinion that games only became good this generation due to the 360 and PS3 library? I personally get the feeling that the hardware it is no less a burden on the control vs creativity than they were in previous gens.

2. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.. if you are referring to a flickering cursor, it is because you need to set the sensitivity (in the settings) to a higher value. I don't know what else you could mean by that, as the sensor bar and the tv are mutually exclusive.

PS. Lots and lots of quote boxes

fastyxx said:
psrock said:
Once again you guys have turned this into a 360 vs ps3 thread when both got destroyed with Resistance and gears coming out. I really think wii fans should be gloating.

But, and I say this as someone who pre-ordered Wii Animal Crossing, the PS3 and 360 being beaten by Wii is like them being beaten by Tickle Me Elmo.  The Wii is a completely different product than what the the 360 and PS3 are.  It's like trying to argue that the PSP is way more successful than the Wii since it's got a multi-million lead, or saying that the DS is better than an iPhone because it's sold 75 million more.  

At this point it's a pointless argument.  Nintendo has hit on a successful product, but it's not a gamer's game system the way we know it, even compared to the most casual of the PS2 userbase.

For the same reason there isn't a thread asking how many units Bejeweled Twist sold on PC the first week out.  (Though I bet it destroyed most of the console titles.)

lol, welcome to 2007!
I would have thought that most people actually moved on from this, but I guess I was wrong. The Wii is actually the same product as the PS3 and the 360. They're all gameconsoles (at least in my world). The thing that guys like you don't see is that without Wii you would play House of the Dead or MadWorld on a 360 and RPGs like Arc Rise Fantasia and Muramasa on the PS3 (or both or the other way around). And Monster Hunter 3 would have been on PS3, what would have dramatically impacted its dire situation in Japan.

If there was no Wii, sales of PS3 and 360 would have been much higher, which would increase development budget for these systems. Cause face it: developers have a limited amount of money to spend and they will increasingly spend it on Wii, as it crosses the 50% marketshare. Not saying that the big blockbusters won't be coming to PS360 anymore, cause they will, but more and more that's the only thing that comes to the HD consoles. In your world that's probably what gaming is all about: Fallout, Gears and MGS, but a lot of core gamers actually love other types of games like Zack & Wiki and Boom Blox.

Also phrases like: it's not a gamers game system really makes me wonder who is buying all that games. Also makes me wonder who I'm actually racing online with in Mario Kart, since online is often praised as a thoroughly hardcore thing (I guess this would be the exception, right?). 

Neoraf said:
papflesje said:
With the software numbers up:

hmmm, perhaps vgc needs a little more time honing their prediction skills, since they were off a bit with the GoW2 numbers for day one.

Resistance 2 did however underperform a tad (expected a LITTLE more personally).

You're wrong. VGChartz was right.

Gears of War 2:

1.5 milion US

0.6 million Europe

= 2.1 million US and Europe Only.

So you're saying that GoW2 didn't sell at all the second day?
mrstickbal made 1st day predictions, these sales are for 2 days.  So he overreached a bit.

fastyxx said:

Seriously. The Wii sells almost 300k consoles on a sales base of 16 million, and if you take out Wii Sports and Wii Play (which we all know no one buys for the game), the Wii moves only 1.3 million software units combined? And look at the top 50 for Wii sales. Pathetic.

What do people play on that thing? I can't believe the console sells like crazy and the software other than first party Mario stuff and Guitar Hero just sits there.

Granted PS3/360 had big releases, but this week:

360 sells .23 games per console owned
PS3 sells .20 games per console owned
Wii sells .11 games per console owned (.093 per console if you take out Wii Sports)

It's crazy that people really don't buy anything other than first party or music games. Except Carnival Games and Raving Rabbids.

(Granted there are some 360/PS3 bundles rolling around too, but its not EVERY console sold like the Wii. Look like the 360 bundle with Indy and Kung Fu Panda sold 66k, which is a LOT, I'd say, which would bring the 360 number down to .22 if you took those out.)

Your numbers are wrong. Here are the most reliable ones, from Nintendo's own presentation/NPD full data. As you can see the Wii has a higher attach rate than PS3, which means that it absolutely destroys it in total software sales. The difference with 360 is only 1.2, which probably means that in total software it has sold more than 360 at the same point since launch.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3841/the_mushroom_growth_plan_inside_.php?page=6