By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
NintendoMonopoly said:
Squilliam said:
Ail said:
trestres said:
Ohh the bitterness in Ail is just hilarious lol :P

Btw you are posting right now! Go play your games, you won't have enough time, right?

I can't bring my console to work or I would :((((

I'm not bitter, the success of the Wii hasn't affected my gaming at all and I'm not the one making bitter thread about the lack of releases on my consoles or the poor quality of third party software...

I am forced to offer my +1 manship. The Wii may have a large market share, but I doubt it has more than 1/3rd of the market I actually care about.

The PC market??? Ofcourse, not. Not yet, but wait until they start releasing killer application "games" like, "Pokemon PowerPoint", "Mario PhotoShop", "Wii Word". Then, you're going to see some crazzy:):):):):):) John Lucas like sales.

Maybe you don't care, but I happen to enjoy both casual and core games. Most normal gamers do, unlike diehard fanboys, that only care about brand image and snobcore gollums that are too far removed from the real world to see the light; that social gaming just might be fun. A type of fun that doesn't require investing constant meaningless devotion and sacrificing any existence of a personal life, but to each his own.

I personally don't care about Wii Fit (Though I own and continue to use it) Wii Sports (Always bundled) Wii Play (I even own this, was going to buy a controller but it was only $10 more) nor Links Xbow training (Another hardware bundle). I also definately don't care about another 100 or so releases which don't cater to me personally.

Just so I don't sound like a complete Wii hater to you, im personally very interested in sales of Mario Kart (Which I do admit I have yet to get for myself) and SSBB (for which I just purchased a GC controller for)

Btw Social game is fun, you should find out the joys of stomping your neighbour into oblivion in a multiplayer GOW match, its also one franchise which should translate to Wii type controls very well if Microsoft should choose to go in that direction next generation (Which I hope they do)

Tease.

Around the Network
fastyxx said:

So what games are they?  That's what I am asking.  Even Madden only sold like 350k or something.  And yes, one million is an arbitrary number, but it's just the common one.  Pick another that works for you.  One in 16 isn't a huge attach rate to get to a million for a good game.

What is the source for this?  Is it on here?  I believe you.  I just want to read it.  I am also surprised by how low the PS3 number is, but the Ps3 still sold double the software per console this week.

Well obviously there are more worldwide million sellers.  I am talking about America.  Everyone I know with a Wii plays the same five games.  The number is just low overall, including first party games. 

I'm really not trying to bash the Wii - it's just that the software numbers seem awfully low lately, including first party.  I can't believe I'm the only one who fins it odd that there is such momentum for the console and so little momentum for its games.  That's not weird?  Are people just buying used or renting?

The source is NPD. I have looked around for the most recent article, but both Joystiq's and Vgchartz search engine sucks ass. I will provide the link for a similar article for the first 19 months that shows the trend that continues on into the 23rd at the bottom of this post.

I really couldn't tell you what games they are playing without doign way more research than I want to do right now. I can only safely say it because of the other data that exists. The Wii is moving software at a faster pace than either of the competitors so there must be some games being sold. The anecdotal evidence you have is just not a very good indicator of the overall market. No one sample is ever likely to be trly representative. Although the average attach ratio for the Wii is 5.3 in America, but this does not include Wii Sports/Play as it is also from NPD.

Link as promised: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=37187

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:

Although the average attach ratio for the Wii is 5.3 in America, but this does not include Wii Sports/Play as it is also from NPD.

Link as promised: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=37187

Thanks for the link.  I do remember seeing that.

Why wouldn't NPD count Wii Play?  It's not bundled with the console.  It's not 3rd party obviously, but it would count in attach rate wouldn't it?  Wii play is 8 million of the 100 million games sold om the (largely incomplete) LTD game sales of VG Chartz software, so that would put a hefty dent in attach rate if we remove it.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said: 

Thanks for the link.  I do remember seeing that.

Why wouldn't NPD count Wii Play?  It's not bundled with the console.  It's not 3rd party obviously, but it would count in attach rate wouldn't it?  Wii play is 8 million of the 100 million games sold om the (largely incomplete) LTD game sales of VG Chartz software, so that would put a hefty dent in attach rate if we remove it.

I don't know their exact logic. Only thing I know is it is counted as a bundle and thus excluded. My guess would be they see it as people just buying a general purpose controller and happening to find a game attached to it and thus not relevant to many statistics.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

fastyxx said:

Seriously. The Wii sells almost 300k consoles on a sales base of 16 million, and if you take out Wii Sports and Wii Play (which we all know no one buys for the game), the Wii moves only 1.3 million software units combined? And look at the top 50 for Wii sales. Pathetic.

Why would someone choose to pay $10 more for a controller given they are never going to play the game? Wouldn't you just buy a stand alone wii-mote instead? They buy it because it's a cheap casual game library, not because they're never going to play it.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@gilgamesh

where it dusn't say PS2 numbers on the front page

Sorry for the late reply I've been out for a while. If you go to chartz, then hardware by date, you can pick the ps2 and wherever place you want and VG Chartz still tracks there sales each week so when the PS3, X360 and Wii numbers are in so are the PS2's they just don't show it in the front page.

I think the reason why the wii is selling so good this year...Its because people are picking them up early for Christmas presents cause last year the wii was usually out of stock during x-mas.

i think i will buy a Wii next year.

yo_john117 said:
I think the reason why the wii is selling so good this year...Its because people are picking them up early for Christmas presents cause last year the wii was usually out of stock during x-mas.

So, I guess that in December the Wii will sell less than the PSP, because people already bought Wii's early in November, right?

Some of you wonder why the Wii is selling so well?

Let me tell you... I was at a Wii demo booth at the Brea Mall in California and people of all ages where having fun playing games such as Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit. The interaction with the games and the accessibility really put a smile on their faces. You guys may have thought they were "noobs" but they were having fun and that's the most important thing. Because of this the Wii is capturing a wider net of gamers than the 360 and PS3 ever will.

Many "core" gamers seem to have a narrowmind - they think games that are only "hardcore" are "real" games. There are actually many people who don't like playing FPS or RPG games with fancy graphics and violence.

I hope that explains why the Wii keeps selling well.