By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First AAA JRPG of this generation?

if can count it, Muramasa: the demon blade

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network
Riachu said:
outlawauron said:
Acevil said:
Riachu said:
Vanadium2k8 said:
I think only Final Fantasy can get to AAA, sadly enough.

And this is why I don't follow reviews, it's quite obvious hype is a huge part of the score.

ToS:DotNW is(or was) one of the most hyped third party games on the Wii so you can scratch off that theory.

Soriku, and me don't count as hype. No site was really hyping it, only fans were.

Just like me and four others were hyping VC. It's getting phenominal scores.

That pretty much proves that hype doesn't influence review score as VC didn't get much hype but reviewers loved it.  I could name several other games that had little to no hype while reviewers loved them.

I could aswell, but generally hype plays a huge part in franchises reviews. Also The World Ends With You wasn't hyped until after reviews.

easy valkyria chronicles.

To say hype isn't factoring in the score for some games is foolish. Just look at GTA IV's score, Halo 3, Final Fantasy, Gears of War, Elder Scrolls, Mario. I could name many more, but I don't want fanboys jumping all over me.

Of course you can name many counter-examples, but the fact that hype was taken into account for any game tells me we shouldn't listen to reviews in the first place.

And I can guarantee you that at least 85% of "AAA" games had a good amount of hype, it's very rare that a no-name game gets 90+.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Acevil said:

I could aswell, but generally hype plays a huge part in franchises reviews. Also The World Ends With You wasn't hyped until after reviews.

It had good hype before release as well. Especially at the time of Japan launch, there was a good amount of hype.

But yeah, a large chunk of it came post-reviews.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Around the Network

Level 5 has made Triple A games before -- Dark Cloud 2 was one.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

naznatips said:

God I hate the term AAA.

For the record I'm really having a blast with Valkyria Chronicles.  It and The World Ends With You are the only JRPGs I've played this gen that felt like they were up there with the best of the gens before this.

So do I actually, I made a post a few days ago on why this AAA stuff is so dumb...yet here I am contradicting myself in this thread.

KylieDog said:
Anyone who thinks that new Tales game for Wii was hyped needs to leave this website once in a while.

I leave this site plenty of times.  I just got the impression that DotNW was hyped(no as much as Gears of War 2 though)

Riachu said:
KylieDog said:
Anyone who thinks that new Tales game for Wii was hyped needs to leave this website once in a while.

I leave this site plenty of times.  I just got the impression that DotNW was hyped(no as much as Gears of War 2 though)

Nah I don't blame you. Soriku is one of the more popular people here, and that could have effected the hype that was seen here. It would be like if Pichu-Pichu or DMJ talked about a game. It would seem bigger than it should be.

Acevil said:
outlawauron said:
Acevil said:
Riachu said:
Vanadium2k8 said:
I think only Final Fantasy can get to AAA, sadly enough.

And this is why I don't follow reviews, it's quite obvious hype is a huge part of the score.

ToS:DotNW is(or was) one of the most hyped third party games on the Wii so you can scratch off that theory.

Soriku, and me don't count as hype. No site was really hyping it, only fans were.

Just like me and four others were hyping VC. It's getting phenominal scores.

Tales of Symphonia 2 only got 1 bad review, and that is from a guy who doesn't seem to like the genre, but you already wrote is off.  So what does it matter. Which is strange because you are in most of Tales of Symphonia threads. Also I never said VC was bad or influenced by hype, I was just commenting on what Riachu wrote.

I was just giving an counter example to your point. ToS 2 got one bad review, a decent review (from GT), and the two good from Famitsu.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.