By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How'd You Like Your Game Ending to Be DLC?

And just to be clear:

I think giving free codes for free downloadable stuff that would otherwise cost money is a great idea. I liked the idea that with the purchase of a new Gears 2 you get free maps, a fancy gun, and a free theme. That's cool and a nice incentive to buy a new copy. I would even say it would be cool to give away more important *bonus* stuff for free with the purchase of a new copy.

It just isn't cool to make people pay extra for content that is required to finish the game.

Around the Network

I'm almost 100% sure that plan would backfire and reduce sales drastically. How many people do you think would boycott that game? How many rental stores would purchase the game?

It will be a bad day for gaming if that becomes the standard, or anything like it.

PS3 Trophies

twesterm said:
And just to be clear:

I think giving free codes for free downloadable stuff that would otherwise cost money is a great idea. I liked the idea that with the purchase of a new Gears 2 you get free maps, a fancy gun, and a free theme. That's cool and a nice incentive to buy a new copy. I would even say it would be cool to give away more important *bonus* stuff for free with the purchase of a new copy.

It just isn't cool to make people pay extra for content that is required to finish the game.

I agree. And I love buying extras. I buy LE's and downloadable content all the time. Hell, I just bought the LE for Fallout 3, Resistance 2 and Gears 2 in the past month. However, I don't like downloadable content that affects online play in any way gameplay wise. I refuse to buy any product that tries to give an advantage to someone who buys an item that someone else did not. Themes, pimping out characters or guns, or extra content for campaign are all pluses and I'm sure there are other awesome untapped ideas. But giving the edge to people online who can buy something is not on my list.

PS3 Trophies

I think the gears 2 multiplayer map codes are a good idea. They don't stop you from playing and enjoying the game if you rent it or get it used, but they add to the experience if you get it new. The final boss is a shit idea though. I take it Mr Stay Puft will be on the disc?

Mistershine said:
I think the gears 2 multiplayer map codes are a good idea. They don't stop you from playing and enjoying the game if you rent it or get it used, but they add to the experience if you get it new. The final boss is a shit idea though. I take it Mr Stay Puft will be on the disc?

No, that would be silly.  Marshmallow is light and all but could you imagine how much 80 feet of stacked marshmallow would weigh?

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Mistershine said:

No, that would be silly.  Marshmallow is light and all but could you imagine how much 80 feet of stacked marshmallow would weigh?

You mean I won't get a lifesize edible Stay Puft!!

I can respect it. I buy way more new games than used anyway. But, lot of the used games I buy are games that aren't worth the msrp. If this came to reality, I wouldn't buy them at all. And what's to stop me from watching the ending on youtube?

But I know owners of all 3 consoles that are not online. What would become of them?

Honestly, if this were to ever hit a retail game I would pirate it. I would also do my best to spread the game through illegal channels. I am all for developers making their money, and buy 99% of my games new. All that aside I will not put up with this crap. You want people to buy your games rather than rent them? Then make a better game. Add interesting multiplayer, or a lot of fun single player side missions that take a long time to complete. Make a game that is fun to play through again and again.

Trying to force me to buy your short game will only piss me off. I will pay a reasonable price to play games. Offer me what I feel is $50 worth of content and I will gladly pay it. Offer me what feels like $5 worth of content and I will simply rent it. Try to force me to buy your ending and I will steal it just to spite you.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Confusing,i are they assuming everyone has the internet?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Gnizmo said:
Honestly, if this were to ever hit a retail game I would pirate it. I would also do my best to spread the game through illegal channels. I am all for developers making their money, and buy 99% of my games new. All that aside I will not put up with this crap. You want people to buy your games rather than rent them? Then make a better game. Add interesting multiplayer, or a lot of fun single player side missions that take a long time to complete. Make a game that is fun to play through again and again.

Trying to force me to buy your short game will only piss me off. I will pay a reasonable price to play games. Offer me what I feel is $50 worth of content and I will gladly pay it. Offer me what feels like $5 worth of content and I will simply rent it. Try to force me to buy your ending and I will steal it just to spite you.

Good to see someone else shares my fucked up set of principles.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/