By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What was your first programming language?

The Anarchyz said:
twesterm said:
vlad321 said:
twesterm said:
theprof00 said:

HTML so far. lol, LBP soon.
I hope to take something else in the future, something monetarily valued. But, I take both Japanese and French right now so its a little difficult to get free time.

LBP isn't a programming language, it's an editor (and before you say it, an editor is absolutely not a programming language).

I don't see why or how HTML counts as a programming language as well

I barely count HTML as a programming language.  It's super simple and limited, but it's still a programming language, just not one I would brag about knowing.

It's like saying you're awesome in VB.Net: of course you're awesome at VB.Net, it does everything for you.

Wait, have you ever done something complicated in .NET??? like an online transaction system made entirely in ASP.NET??? or a Solar System simulator with VB.NET and Directx 9.0? or access a TMU-950 without the driver?

VB.NET is friendly, it's true (it has to be, Microsoft relies on that), but it doesn't do everything for you, especially if you don't use the VB6 methods and go with the .NET ones (that should be the ones to use)...

The only .Net thing I've ever messed with is VB.  It's good for fast prototyping, but anything else just doesn't seem worth it. 

About the most complicated thing I've done in it was a *very* complicated GUI that had to take a text file that talked to a machine that painted a picture and then spit out another text file.  The text file had to dynimically grow and shrink depending on what the user wanted so that was a pain but it was pretty simple.  It turned out to be about 20k lines (just for the GUI, I didn't work on the other part), but except for the dynimica growth part it wasn't complicated, just tedious.

Anyways, where was I?  Oh, my meh attitude for VB.Net.  I don't have the experience programming you do since I all but abandoned my CS degree and only script now in something that is pretty much C++, but know enough that VB isn't the most wonderful thing ever.

As for my saying you're awesome at VB.Net comment-- it does do almost everything for you.  You can be an awesome programmer and be good at VB, but you're probably good at VB because you're good at programming.  You can do really good looking things in VB.Net with no real effort because it does a lot of things for you.  I don't really know why you're offended by that...

Around the Network

I'm not offended by that, i only wanted to know why did you compared VB.NET with HTML, and also know if you coded something complicated with VB.NET (that program seems interesting, i did something similar in Java)...

I totally agree with you that is not the most wonderful thing (even when i have to do .NET coding, i prefer C#) and it does a lot of things for you when it comes to the GUI (except if you go for something else than windows, like the Solar System simulator with Directx 9 i was talking about), but outside the GUI, to use it correctly, one must leave VB6 thinking for a lot of things, learn Object Oriented sd, and study the .NET way, that's the not so easy part...

It was mainly the comparing to HTML thing, because VB.NET is a full-pledged object oriented language while HTML is barely a language...

The Anarchyz said:
I'm not offended by that, i only wanted to know why did you compared VB.NET with HTML, and also know if you coded something complicated with VB.NET (that program seems interesting, i did something similar in Java)...

I totally agree with you that is not the most wonderful thing (even when i have to do .NET coding, i prefer C#) and it does a lot of things for you when it comes to the GUI (except if you go for something else than windows, like the Solar System simulator with Directx 9 i was talking about), but outside the GUI, to use it correctly, one must leave VB6 thinking for a lot of things, learn Object Oriented sd, and study the .NET way, that's the not so easy part...

It was mainly the comparing to HTML thing, because VB.NET is a full-pledged object oriented language while HTML is barely a language...

I'll have to 2nd this. VB.NET is barely like VB6. As with all the .NET languages, they share a common base, and provide very similar functionality. While lacking some of the abilities of C# (but also having some that C# doesn't have) the languages are very similar other than syntax.

That said, there is nothing wrong with a language doing stuff for you anyway. Java and C# are a walk in the park compared to C/C++ which is why they have gained popularity. Not having to do memory management, much easier cross platform coding (in the case of Java) and having a large library of functions readily available leave the programmer time to actually write a program, rather than deal with a lot of groundwork.

The Anarchyz said:

For the HTML and VB.Net thing I was more comparing saying you're awesome at the two instead of compating the two languages.

BASICA was my first language, if I remember correctly.

Then learned VB, Java, C, C++, C#, Python and recently Objective-C (the language I'm most baffled about).

Went through various environments: Visual Studio, NetBeans, CodeWarrior, Xcode and lots of obscure C++ IDEs.

Done stuff for J2ME, XNA, NitroSDK, BREW, Panda3D, and iPhone SDK.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Around the Network

1 basic 4.5
2 basic 7.1
3 pascal
4 turbo pascal
5 c++
6 Assemble 8bit - 16bit processor
7 C#

HTML is a script, it does not compiles, it's only a description, saying is a programing language is like saying formating text on Ms Word is a programing language, is just that most of the formating part has now gone to CSS from HTML, and most of the element on web pages that actually do something are javascript not HTML, so HTML does nothing really is just formatting.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Turbo Pascal