By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War 2 Tracking: ~3.0-3.5m first week projection

Zucas said:
seece said:
Zucas said:
Now now don't get testy about your numbers simply because people are arguing logically. If they were arguing illogically then you'd have a case.

Point being 4 million in 2 weeks is a lot, or 9 days for GeoW 2 and that's hard to believe for anyone. I mean these are like Halo and GTA like numbers and Gears is in no way that kind of franchise.

I'm not saying your numbers are wrong but I just trying to find a way how it could be that from a logical standpoint. And I personally hope your numbers are right cause it'll show just how large this holiday season will be but for now I got to be skeptical. This is not me saying you are wrong because I don't want to be wrong if you are right haha but I will be a little skeptical like I am of VGC numbers in general.

You're wrong, Gears IS that kind of franchise. The first has a solid fanbase of 5.5 million. Thats a lot of potential buyers right there, not to mention the userbase has grown 10 million since the launch of Halo 3.

4 million in 2 weeks is VERY doable, I guess we are just going to have to wait for the numbers? haha!

Your joking right.  You think Gears is a franchise along the lines of Halo and GTA.  I mean if you want to discredit those 2 franchises that much then be my guest but I didn't say it haha. 

No doubt Gears 2 is a big franchise and yes 4 million in 2 weeks is doable but its very improbable.  Excuse me for being skeptical.  I don't deny it can happen but I'm not going to openly go along with it based off this haha.  As I said I hope it does that number because it shows just how big holidays will be this year that games that aren't even the largest franchises in gaming can do numbers like that.

I disagree Zucas. Gears 2 for me is better than any Halo game. And I hold Halo in very high regard.

Around the Network

This estimation is 100 percent silly.

Well under 3 million for the opening two days. I'm saying 2.0-2.5 million max. No way this is bigger than Halo 3 or close to GTA IV.

mrstickball said:
Few notes:

1) I'm not trying to argue a 3.0m 2-day week. I'm merely saying in relative terms, it'd hit 3.0m+ easy in a "standard" 5-day week.

2) My official projection is 4.0m for the first 2 weeks (which would teeter on 9 days), which is a more reliable projection than trying to figure out what it'll do in 2 days.

The argument is that right now, Gears 2 is tracking in between GTAIV (3.3m first week) and Halo 3 (3.8m first week) using Day-0 data. So I think that had this of been launched on a Tuesday, we'd be seeing 3.4-3.6m first week sales. Obviously, with 3 less days it'll be lower. However, the comparison is valid, and even with missing 3 days, after 2 weeks, it will have come much closer to a GTAIV/H3 comparison, and should be at the 4m mark or a little bit more since both games were above 4.2-3 million after 12 days of data.

If I'm reading your first post correctly Gears 2 isn't between GTAIV (3.3 mln) and Halo 3 (3.8 mln) but between GTAIV first week (3.3 mln) and Halo 3 first week only in America (2.8 mln).

I actually think that Halo 3 is a better comparision becouse of more similar demographics with Gears 2 (I think that not as many GTAIV owners went online on first day as Gears or Halo owners).

So I personally expect Gears sales to be below Halo 3 first week in America, should be over 2 mln with normal week but becouse ithave only 2 days this week it may even be below.

mrstickball said:
Oh, and to finish:

Halo 3 sold 1.8m units Day-1 worldwide (if I'm not mistaken). Gears 2 is within 80% of that, or just under 1.5m units on Day-1.

I thought it was ~2.7m Day-1 in the US alone.  It broke every record including the one held by Halo 2 which launched on day-1 with 2.4m

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49161

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Yeah I also think somewhere about 2-2.5.

Around the Network
kamil said:
mrstickball said:
Few notes:

1) I'm not trying to argue a 3.0m 2-day week. I'm merely saying in relative terms, it'd hit 3.0m+ easy in a "standard" 5-day week.

2) My official projection is 4.0m for the first 2 weeks (which would teeter on 9 days), which is a more reliable projection than trying to figure out what it'll do in 2 days.

The argument is that right now, Gears 2 is tracking in between GTAIV (3.3m first week) and Halo 3 (3.8m first week) using Day-0 data. So I think that had this of been launched on a Tuesday, we'd be seeing 3.4-3.6m first week sales. Obviously, with 3 less days it'll be lower. However, the comparison is valid, and even with missing 3 days, after 2 weeks, it will have come much closer to a GTAIV/H3 comparison, and should be at the 4m mark or a little bit more since both games were above 4.2-3 million after 12 days of data.

If I'm reading your first post correctly Gears 2 isn't between GTAIV (3.3 mln) and Halo 3 (3.8 mln) but between GTAIV first week (3.3 mln) and Halo 3 first week only in America (2.8 mln).

I actually think that Halo 3 is a better comparision becouse of more similar demographics with Gears 2 (I think that not as many GTAIV owners went online on first day as Gears or Halo owners).

So I personally expect Gears sales to be below Halo 3 first week in America, should be over 2 mln with normal week but becouse ithave only 2 days this week it may even be below.

It depends on how you look at it:

Gears 2, in terms of what VGC will report, will certainly be well below Halo 3 (which sold 3.8m first week) due to having 2 days of sales versus Halo 3 or Grand Theft Auto IV, which both had 5.

However, the argument I'm attempting to make is that since it has a 2-day tracking period, week 2, 3 and 4 sales are going to be decently higher than either GTAIV or Halo 3.

I'll be posting an article shortly on VGC since ioi now has retailer Day-1 numbers.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The question is if this one will beat gears 1.

Many of the guys who bought gears 1 as time went by will probably now be banging at the door day one.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
The question is if this one will beat gears 1.

Many of the guys who bought gears 1 as time went by will probably now be banging at the door day one.

Got my copy (they opened the box in front of me at the shop..) and this is fantastic !!!

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Mr. STickball, I could kiss you.
thx for the info.

2008 360 prediction: 26 million (thus surpassing XBOX lifetime sales in one year less time).

As long as there are 360 bashers, I will be there to do something about it.

so many good games, even i sometimes pro MS, i give 2.5 mil for 1st week
but this game will have long leg but absolutely > R2 sales