By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Today Show Warns Consumers To Stay Away From Xbox 360

This pretty much gauranteed that no parent will buy their kid (of any age) a 360. Even after falcon release. :(

Less than a week ago, I said that if MS doesn't start making money soon they will eliminate the Xbox brand. I don't want it to happen, I want them to get their acts together. But it is looking more and more like it's not going to happen... Can Halo 3 save 360 sales.

This makes me so sad... oh, well back to alien syndrome.

(late addition: Legend, um, it doesn't matter if what he said was true, it was on TV.)

(edit: direct link to video)

(more edits: Blu-ray player is what he meant by more advanced.  But the biggest strength of360 is Madden?  Why didn't the get Peer from IGN or ioi.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
eh, this won't matter much. Parents will buy what their teenagers want. That's the graphics and M rated games on 360. Halo, GTA, etc.

Parents are buying the Wii. All the middle schoolers and high schoolers want 360 or PS3. PS3 is too expensive for most, so they get a 360.

Yup the 360 an PS3 are kiddie systems ;)

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

steven787 said:

"Can Halo 3 save 360 sales."

I think it's 1up that's guessing that the big games that are coming up for the 360 will destroy a lot of systems this holiday. They're predicting that people will go out and buy these games and play them a lot, therefore causing a lot of hardware failures.

In a way, that seems like it could be likely if RROD problems can stem from overheating. Can you imagine what might happen to a 360 that's playing that (VERY) popular game for large amounts of time? I'd also be worried about disk problems as well. It might have been okay with other games, but this holiday boasts very hyped up games, I'd hate to see a backlash of people who are pissed that they can't even enjoy their games.

I expect a hardware redesign soon, and the production seems to be slowing down to accommodate that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

IllegalPaladin said:
steven787 said:

I think it's 1up that's guessing that the big games that are coming up for the 360 will destroy a lot of systems this holiday. They're predicting that people will go out and buy these games and play them a lot, therefore causing a lot of hardware failures.

In a way, that seems like it could be likely if RROD problems can stem from overheating. Can you imagine what might happen to a 360 that's playing that (VERY) popular game for large amounts of time? I'd also be worried about disk problems as well. It might have been okay with other games, but this holiday boasts very hyped up games, I'd hate to see a backlash of people who are pissed that they can't even enjoy their games.

There is more to it than that...where are a lot of people going to set the console up at first? Right on the living room floor on the CARPET, where it is going to get nice and toasty.  Excitment to set it up and play is going to kill some consoles this X-mas, and most of them will send it back and have to wait weeks to play their games. The impact to sales won't be until after X-mas when/if the stories hit the news/media.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Sqrl said:
IllegalPaladin said:

There is more to it than that...where are a lot of people going to set the console up at first? Right on the living room floor on the CARPET, where it is going to get nice and toasty. Excitment to set it up and play is going to kill some consoles this X-mas, and most of them will send it back and have to wait weeks to play their games. The impact to sales won't be until after X-mas when/if the stories hit the news/media.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with sales, but nice addition. I was being nice and saying that they'd have a chance to play the games first before it dies though, lol.

IllegalPaladin said:
Sqrl said:
IllegalPaladin said:

There is more to it than that...where are a lot of people going to set the console up at first? Right on the living room floor on the CARPET, where it is going to get nice and toasty. Excitment to set it up and play is going to kill some consoles this X-mas, and most of them will send it back and have to wait weeks to play their games. The impact to sales won't be until after X-mas when/if the stories hit the news/media.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with sales, but nice edition. I was being nice and saying that they'd have a chance to play the games first before it dies though, lol.

Nah, I was just saying that the problem will be exacerbated by people setting up consoles on the carpet rather than a TV stand like they normally would.  It will still take some time for it to overheat and they will get to play their games...for a while.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Takashii360 said:
Well like I posted in another thread, Xbox 360 sales has been down a lot this year...just last year they sold a whopping 4 million in U.S. and now its 1.5 million in the U.S....and considering that we are half way through the year thats not good...that has to be a clue that the media knows about the fact the Xbox 360 has a high defective rate...Microsoft better fix it pretty soon its not looking good....only Halo 3 will tell dramatically...

The bulk of a console's sales in North America come during the second half of the year.

Sqrl said:
IllegalPaladin said:
steven787 said:

You both make good points, basically the tradition "casual" gamer who get it this holiday will have it break on them and then tell every one else not to buy it....

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

If Xbox360 had some games I actually wanted to play I'd still buy one because it's not that expensive has a 3 year guarantee and has some better features than the Wii my first choice console.