By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Today Show Warns Consumers To Stay Away From Xbox 360

vizunary said:
Legend11 said:
Their "tech guru" made some pretty idiotic statements like: "the PS3 is a much stronger machine than the Xbox 360" and the Wii's strong "technological prowess" so it's impossible to take him seriously but he's right in that the 360 does have hardware problems.

impossible for us to take him seriously, yes, but the general public believes that a "tech guru" should know his shiznit.

sqrl said:

"There is more to it than that...where are a lot of people going to set the console up at first? Right on the living room floor on the CARPET, where it is going to get nice and toasty. Excitment to set it up and play is going to kill some consoles this X-mas, and most of them will send it back and have to wait weeks to play their games. The impact to sales won't be until after X-mas when/if the stories hit the news/media. "

yeah there was a guy(on here i think) that uploaded a bunch of pics of his new 360, was VERY excited about it, understandably, and it was sitting on the carpet. immediately everyone here was yelling at him to get it off the ground. LOL, it was pretty funny, there were at least 15 msgs in a couple secs.

BTW, should you leave ANY game system on the carpet since the 5th gen? Even those with low power use still generate a fair amount of heat. I try to leave all my consoles with ventillation.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

"I got no arms" That was funny.

Is anyone really surprised about this?

I'm glad that MS is no longer getting a free pass about this. People love the 360 so much they tend to forget is it officially the worst piece of hardware to hit the console market ever in regards to quality.

I think the problem with MS is two fold here:

1- That MS tried to sweep these problems ( amongst others ) under the rug. Big surprise there right? Well too bad the rug only made the heat issues worse...

2- That the generally savvy and fugal gaming community was willing to spend asinine amounts of money on a piece of hardware with a far worse track record than PS2 (!?!?!)

I've been saying for awhile that the faulty hardware on 360 is going to be their coupe de grace.

MS had a real good chance at getting the one up on PS3 due to Sony's multiple fumblings, but I think long term this will help PS3. I don't think we will see any major impact till this Christmas in sales for PS3 and beyond when price drops hit.

Christmas will be big for everyone, but I think we will see stronger sales for Sony than anticipated, which I figure this will play a solid factor in. Short term this will only make the Wii stronger as its closest cost competitor has serious hardware issues.

We will be seeing more of these type of reports the closer Santa comes. Even if the claims are disputed, we will see more news coverage, thus more parents will learn about the problems.

It's really dumbfounding to me that so many gamers are willing to ride in an equivalent of a nice shiny lemon car just because it has a warranty. One day while your knee deep in fun, or heavily involved with something important, and that car will die on you causing many headaches and problems. But metaphorically speaking, don't worry when your walking to gas station for help, as it's all paid for.  /sarcasm

What difference does it make how many good games there are for a system when that system has a huge rate of failure and dies? My 1985 NES has a fantastic library of games that I can STILL play to this day.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

@LordTheNightKnight: I have my consoles set up on a cookie cooling rack... not really, I have a cardboard box turned up side down, with air holes, my consoles stay pretty cool. It looks trashy though. I had a 360 that red ringed right before the warranty extension.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

DoesWhatNintenDont said:
Is anyone really surprised about this?

I'm glad that MS is no longer getting a free pass about this. People love the 360 so much they tend to forget is it officially the worst piece of hardware to hit the console market ever in regards to quality.

I think the problem with MS is two fold here:

1- That MS tried to sweep these problems ( amongst others ) under the rug. Big surprise there right? Well too bad the rug only made the heat issues worse...

2- That the generally savvy and fugal gaming community was willing to spend asinine amounts of money on a piece of hardware with a far worse track record than PS2 (!?!?!)

I've been saying for awhile that the faulty hardware on 360 is going to be their coupe de grace.

MS had a real good chance at getting the one up on PS3 due to Sony's multiple fumblings, but I think long term this will help PS3. I don't think we will see any major impact till this Christmas in sales for PS3 and beyond when price drops hit.

Christmas will be big for everyone, but I think we will see stronger sales for Sony than anticipated, which I figure this will play a solid factor in. Short term this will only make the Wii stronger as its closest cost competitor has serious hardware issues.

We will be seeing more of these type of reports the closer Santa comes. Even if the claims are disputed, we will see more new coverage, thus more parents will learn about the problems.

It's really dumbfounding to me that so many gamers are willing to ride in an equivalent of a nice shiny lemon car just because it has a warranty. One day while your knee deep in fun, or heavily involved with something important, and that car will die on you causing many headaches and problems. But metaphorically speaking, don't worry when your walking to gas station for help, as it's all paid for. /sarcasm

What difference does it make how many good games there are for a system when that system has a huge rate of failure and dies? My 1985 NES has a fantastic library of games that I can STILL play to this day.

I agree with you, but you will get angry fanboys in 6, 5 , 4, 3, 2 ...

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:

I agree with you, but you will get angry fanboys in 6, 5 , 4, 3, 2 ...

I'll go the southpark route once more today...

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble,

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble

On a serious note, there is a lot of truth to what he said, and I if the problems mount during X-mas like we think they might, this is the sort of thing that could slingshot the PS3 into above average sales and allow it to catch up to the 360 . 

To Each Man, Responsibility