By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari Confirmed as New Ghostbusters Publisher

[Source Gamasutra]

Atari Confirmed As New Ghostbusters Publisher

The Phil Harrison-headed Atari has officially confirmed that it will publish Terminal Reality’s Ghostbusters: The Video Game, after Activision Blizzard refused to pick up the title following its merger with Vivendi Games.

Along with The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and Brütal Legend, Ghostbusters was to have been published by Vivendi Games label Sierra.

However, once the merger with Activision took place all four games were dropped. Activision CEO Bobby Kotick revealed yesterday that this was due to the games not having "the potential to be exploited every year across every platform" or to become $100 million-plus franchises.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand will now be published by THQ, and Atari also recently confirmed that it would be publishing The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, as well as retaining the rights to produce further games based on the movie series. Only Double Fine’s Brütal Legend now remains without a publisher.

No specific release date is given for Ghostbusters, although Atari intends to release it to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the movie next year. The game is scheduled for release on the PlayStation 2, Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Nintendo DS formats.

"Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a fantastic addition to Atari’s global line-up in 2009," said Atari president Phil Harrison.

"The title has built considerable anticipation and excitement among game fans for its high quality action and all-out mayhem. There’s no more thrilling ghostbusting experience to be had, short of building your own proton pack."

Around the Network

The worlds worst kept secret but hooray for finally being confirmed

i think the question is... will it be better than Alone in the Dark 5?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
i think the question is... will it be better than Alone in the Dark 5?

I think so. 

(remember, the game was nearly done when they picked it up and we've been polishing and improving since)

What's the over/under on the number of times the company name "Atari" is sold before a Ghostbusters box hits a retail shelf?

Around the Network

Is this good news? i heard back in the day atari waas a crap company. atleast thats what the Ol' timer gamers tell me. :/

This was my favorite movie when I was a little kid.

"No specific release date is given for Ghostbusters, although Atari intends to release it to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the movie next year."

Interesting. Ghostbusters was released on June 8, 1984, according to IMDB. That seems too far away to me, considering that is game was originally scheduled for Q4 2008. I've also seen an early February release date on retailers websites.

It's too bad that twesterm can't talk about release dates.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I love Ghostbusters. Hope this game is good.

theRepublic said:
This was my favorite movie when I was a little kid.

"No specific release date is given for Ghostbusters, although Atari intends to release it to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the movie next year."

Interesting. Ghostbusters was released on June 8, 1984, according to IMDB. That seems too far away to me, considering that is game was originally scheduled for Q4 2008. I've also seen an early February release date on retailers websites.

It's too bad that twesterm can't talk about release dates.

Why? is he one of the guys making the game or something?

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Is this good news? i heard back in the day atari waas a crap company. atleast thats what the Ol' timer gamers tell me. :/

The biggest problem with Atari - these days - is that it's always near bankrupt and so they tend to push out unfinished games purely because they can't afford not to.   Alone in the Dark was a classic example but only one of many unpolished Atari games.  

Ghostbusters is mostly done apparently so hopefully all Atari needs to do is market and distribute.