By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega: Wii Is "The Most Expensive Board Game On Earth"

Xen said:
Fernando said:
Well... the attach ratio and how well the Wii software sells (a lot lot more than the PS3) proves that that is not true.

=p

In fact, if you take into account the attach ratio of the Wii with that huge install base, compared to the PS3 install base and attach rate, a lot more people are playing the Wii than the PS3.

SW: TFU, Madden '09 told me to say hello. PS3 outsells Wii in software even with its smaller userbase.

There may be exceptions, but the PS3 usually outsells the Wii in software... unless the software we're talking about is shovelware. So far, not many quality games sold well on Wii. Compare to PS3... and your statement is stright from dreamland.

lol ? is this a joke ?

I suggest you to check the thousands of chartz available on this site. It may help you out, young grasshopper.

The Wii destroys the ps3 in terms of software sales. There is no way how you can spin that.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network

After checking out Madworld it looks pretty crazy. Looks like it could be pretty good.

disolitude said:
Bodhesatva said:
Xen said:
Fernando said:
Well... the attach ratio and how well the Wii software sells (a lot lot more than the PS3) proves that that is not true.

=p

In fact, if you take into account the attach ratio of the Wii with that huge install base, compared to the PS3 install base and attach rate, a lot more people are playing the Wii than the PS3.

SW: TFU, Madden '09 told me to say hello. PS3 outsells Wii in software even with its smaller userbase.

There may be exceptions, but the PS3 usually outsells the Wii in software... unless the software we're talking about is shovelware. So far, not many quality games sold well on Wii. Compare to PS3... and your statement is stright from dreamland.

This is factually incorrect, Xen. The Wii sells more software even considering the PS3's install base, not in spite of it: that is, if the Wii and PS3 had exactly identical install bases, the Wii would still have more software sold. The people arguing software sales are correct. The Wii has a better attach rate than the PS3 in America and Japan (and at times Europe, depending on who has just had a big game come out). If the Wii is a machine people only pull out occasionally, why does it sell so much software?

I don't think anyone is arguing Wii sells loads of software. Its the type of software it sells. Mini games...wierd stuff like wii fit...

I think Sega is saying this with that statement...

Subtract wii sports, wii fit, wii play from wiis totals. Those games are somewhat board game like...does wii still sell most software then?

That is fairly clearly not what is being stated, Disolitude: he clearly states that these are pulled out "for Christmas" and I'd presume other holidays.

When in reality it's just now that the PS3/360 are coming to have their fair share of software sales, and the DS/Wii absolutely dominated for the entirety of Summer. Do you remember what the EU looked like throughout the Summer? It wasn't unusual for 18 of the top 20 titles to be on Nintendo formats.

As to the "exclude Sports/Fit/Play" from the total, what is the purpose of that? I don't think anyone argues that the Wii doesn't have a different style of game than the PS3/360. The PS3 and particularly the 360 are shooter-central, while the Wii focuses more on more casual and female friendly titles.

But it smacks of desperation to say, "exclude all of the top selling titles on the system, and what do you have left?"

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

disolitude said:
Bodhesatva said:
Xen said:
Fernando said:

=p

This is factually incorrect, Xen. The Wii sells more software even considering the PS3's install base, not in spite of it: that is, if the Wii and PS3 had exactly identical install bases, the Wii would still have more software sold. The people arguing software sales are correct. The Wii has a better attach rate than the PS3 in America and Japan (and at times Europe, depending on who has just had a big game come out). If the Wii is a machine people only pull out occasionally, why does it sell so much software?

I don't think anyone is arguing Wii sells loads of software. Its the type of software it sells. Mini games...wierd stuff like wii fit...

I think Sega is saying this with that statement...

Subtract wii sports, wii fit, wii play from wiis totals. Those games are somewhat board game like...does wii still sell most software then?

Let's not become elitists.  Why should any game be removed from attach ratio? Are you and Xen implying only third parties make great software? The fact is that people play games on the Wii. No technicality can change that.

Board game? Nonsense.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Bodhesatva said:
Xen said:
Fernando said:

=p

How is it that VGC numbers disagree with you though? recent numbers, that is. Not '07 ones. And not Mario Kart and Wii"-" numbers. Purely quality third party software.

Ah ha ha, so this is now a "quality third party" discussion? Please. This is a discussion of software in general, not "Software minus Nintendo software. Also games like Carnival Games. Also no Mario and Sonic." Don't move the goalposts. The question is: "Does the Wii sell software?" The answer is yes, it sells quite a bit, which suggests people aren't letting their Wiis collect dust. If people weren't using their Wiis, why are they buying so much software for it?

VGC reaches the same conclusion that the FRs do: the Wii's attach rate is better than the PS3's. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Pretty soon these quotes will be a page long.

noname2200 said:
senortaco said:
noname2200 said:
disolitude said:

Hi noname2200 read the source article I posted. It will make more sense then the article posted.=)

Yeah, you're right, I just did. I should have done that first though. My bad! And my apologies to Disolitude, too; I'll read the source next time before posting. I just assumed Kotaku had some integrity...my mistake!

lol, and you know what really, all jokes aside, thats sad. It's goes to that "ghetto" idealogy that he is referring to in the article. I mean sure games MAY NOT crash like the comic book market did in the 90's, but I think if you look at Japan, it's about the closest you will come to consoles being dead like comics were then. =/

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Thanks for posting the interview noname2200.

It is amazing how the Kotaku quote was the complete opposite of the tone of actual interview.

It seems many hardcore sites will take any opportunity to bash the Wii that they can.

It's funny, because for all the struggeling some people are doing to make the Wii look bad, it won't matter one bit. The majority of the people who are buying the Wii aren't the type of people who hangs out on VGChartz. They are going to continue to come up with arguements about why the Wii sucks, or doesn't deserve to be 1st, or whatever redundant crap, and it will continue to be wasted efford.