By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To RPG lovers: why I can't embrace the genre? T_T

BCrayfish said:
It's completely understandable that someone doesn't like RPGs. The draw isn't usually focused around gameplay, but keep people hooked by rewarding them with small increments to their stats and new weapons/armor. If this type of thing doesn't happen to hook you then you're probably not going to get much out of it.

Of course some people will tell you that it's all about the story, but that's just rubbish. >:3

WRPG sare a slight bit different, in that they usually give you a bit more choice in the actions your character takes. That and the gameplay in some of them will be a bit more action oriented with the action being influenced by your current stats, so you might get a little more from them then their Japanese counterparts. Personally I started with Super Mario RPG and was hooked from there, but if that didn't do it for you either then this might just not be a genre for you.

I'd recommend maybe trying a few different strategy and western RPGs, just to see if those more suit your tastes. Also I'd recommend Earthbound, just because it's a bit different from your standard RPG, which might keep you interested a big longer (It's also one of my favorite games of all times so I plug it every chance I get).

Actually it's a lot about the story... that's what makes RPG's so great. It's not the little stat improvements for me, because if I don't care about any of the characters I don't care to level them up...

OP: Try The Tales series... any of them really.. Tales of Destiny on PS1 was really good.

If perferring the PS3 over the 360 makes me a fanboy.. I guess I am guilty..

List of 360 Games I would like to have: Alan Wake

List of PS3 Games I would like to have: LBP, FFXIII(if it ever comes), R2(maybe)

List of Wii Games I would like to have: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (It's not an exclusive but it would be awesome)

Around the Network
Suspense304 said:
BCrayfish said:
It's completely understandable that someone doesn't like RPGs. The draw isn't usually focused around gameplay, but keep people hooked by rewarding them with small increments to their stats and new weapons/armor. If this type of thing doesn't happen to hook you then you're probably not going to get much out of it.

Of course some people will tell you that it's all about the story, but that's just rubbish. >:3

WRPG sare a slight bit different, in that they usually give you a bit more choice in the actions your character takes. That and the gameplay in some of them will be a bit more action oriented with the action being influenced by your current stats, so you might get a little more from them then their Japanese counterparts. Personally I started with Super Mario RPG and was hooked from there, but if that didn't do it for you either then this might just not be a genre for you.

I'd recommend maybe trying a few different strategy and western RPGs, just to see if those more suit your tastes. Also I'd recommend Earthbound, just because it's a bit different from your standard RPG, which might keep you interested a big longer (It's also one of my favorite games of all times so I plug it every chance I get).

Actually it's a lot about the story... that's what makes RPG's so great. It's not the little stat improvements for me, because if I don't care about any of the characters I don't care to level them up...

OP: Try The Tales series... any of them really.. Tales of Destiny on PS1 was really good.

You level up a character in any RPG you pick in any type you pick.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Swear to god this is a reverse "Why can't I like Wii?" thread. If yes, awesome. If no, oh well. Same reason Bobbuffalo might not like RPGs as some might not like Wii. They just aren't the kinda thing they are into.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

vlad321 said:
Suspense304 said:
BCrayfish said:

You level up a character in any RPG you pick in any type you pick.

... yea... I never said you don't.. I was replying to the Crayfish saying basically that people that say they play RPGs for the Story of full of it...

If perferring the PS3 over the 360 makes me a fanboy.. I guess I am guilty..

List of 360 Games I would like to have: Alan Wake

List of PS3 Games I would like to have: LBP, FFXIII(if it ever comes), R2(maybe)

List of Wii Games I would like to have: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (It's not an exclusive but it would be awesome)

@dharh - well not exactly. many don't like the wii mostly for fanboyism. I just would like to understand the genre a bit better that's all.

Around the Network

hehe thanks everyone for your suggestions. Seems that the Tales series are a good way to begin ^^ I'll check the new one that will come to wii this month, because that's the console I have. I may buy Paper Mario for VC too.

And as Fire emblem..it seems to be a little to hard for me..si I think I'll wait on that one ^^

Suspense304 said:
BCrayfish said:

I guess I should apologize for using a emoticon that's not as widely used as :P and ;). I do know alot of people play RPGs for their stories and can be one of their biggest draws, but what it comes down to is personal taste. Since he didn't seem to care much for some of the RPGs that I personally think have great story lines I figured that was more of a moot point for him (not trying to put words in your mouth Bob, it just seemed like you were more interested in why the gameplay hooks us RPG fans).

You can't say however that you don't enjoy when you level and learn new spells/skills or that you've never put in that extra bit of time to earn a hard to get/rare item/weapon/armor, what have you.

CIHYFS?

@ Benga Benga )

uhm.. aren't most SRPGs turn-based ? I doubt there are many with a "Real Time Strategy" part, so I'd rather chracterize SRPGs as a mix of TBS & RPG

Well you didn't like Chrono Trigger, so then it's probably not your genre. However, maybe it is you don't like to invest much time in story and prefer something more dynamic. (Do you like Metal Gear games?)

Atlus recently launched Dokapon Kingdom for Wii. I haven't played but it seems to be a Mario Party game with lots of RPG elements. People say is a very fun game to play, and is multiplayer. Maybe is a good place to start.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Bobbuffalo said:

I have read that post where Gamepro chose their best RPG's and well there are tons of people complaining/agreeing..which is fine but personally I could never, ever understood RPG's. I know, you may say is a matter of taste but I don't think so. I think that the problem is in me more than nothing.

My experience with RPG'S have been terrible:I could never pass the character that disable your controllers in Super Mario RPG, I fell asleep in Chrono Trigger,The turn based battles from Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 founded very tedious,I never get to the 2d part of FF6 because I ran out of time in the part where kefka mad ethe big disaster....and so on.

As you see I haven't palyed many but I dunno what's wrong, Maybe I started with the wrong games? Need to be more patient? are WRPG's better/different? Or maybe I need to get used? I dunno. Many people talk about RPG's and I feel that I am missing something great. I can play technically any genre but I feel like intimidated by the huge numbers and long battles from RPG's.

What do you think?

Turn based Japanese RPGs sound like they aren't your style. Maybe you need something more action-oriented.

I would sugguest (impartial list based of PS2/X360/PC/X360 games):

Mass Effect

Oblivion

Fallout 3

Fable 1/2

The Witcher

Star Ocean 3 (and most likely 4)

Final Fantasy XII

Kingdom Hearts 1/2

Tales of Vesperia

Infinite Undiscovery

Ultimately, it sounds like you need something more action-oriented that'll provide you a more....Interactive experience. Unfortunately, the Wii doesn't have many of said RPGs yet, but Im sure in the future it will. I'd suggest picking up some of the noted PS2 games (like KH), or find a X360 to try theirs - as the X360 has a superb library of action-oriented RPGs. PC's a good choice too.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.