By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official Second Annual *H.Y.P.E.* Thread

Sqrl said:
seece said:
^^ LOL

The 360 certainly does! Is it just me or do you secretly wish the PS3 was outselling the 360? ;)

Or perhaps unlike you I posted before I had the benefit of preliminary data.

PS - Please don't disrespectfully mock me with your "^^LOL" again, I don't appreciate it.

I wasn't mocking you just laughing at how things turned out and how you posted that at the same time the data came out.

Around the Network
seece said:
Sqrl said:
seece said:
^^ LOL

The 360 certainly does! Is it just me or do you secretly wish the PS3 was outselling the 360? ;)

PS - Please don't disrespectfully mock me with your "^^LOL" again, I don't appreciate it.

I wasn't mocking you just laughing at how things turned out and how you posted that at the same time the data came out.

I'll take your word for it.

Anyways I posted that on 11/29/08, at 22:49, the data was posted 30th Nov 2008, at 20:11.  Nearly 24 hours later, plus it was just a question anyways, not a statement.

The 360 was the only one of the 3 that looks to have achieved the mark, thats a good thing for the 360, not a bad thing =)

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
seece said:
Sqrl said:
seece said:
^^ LOL

Anyways I posted that on 11/29/08, at 22:49, the data was posted 30th Nov 2008, at 20:11.  Nearly 24 hours later, plus it was just a question anyways, not a statement.

The 360 was the only one of the 3 that looks to have achieved the mark, thats a good thing for the 360, not a bad thing =)

Sorry I only looked at the time of your post not the date. The PS3's sales are nothing to be sniffed at, it should do 370K+ beating its sales for the same week last year. Thats pretty good going for Sony to do that with a high priced console in the current econmic mess we are in.

seece said:
Sqrl said:
seece said:

Sorry I only looked at the time of your post not the date. The PS3's sales are nothing to be sniffed at, it should do 370K+ beating its sales for the same week last year. Thats pretty good going for Sony to do that with a high priced console in the current econmic mess we are in.

Actually I'm pretty dissapointed with the PS3 sales from BF, I think the 360 may be running away with this if we don't see some major ass-kicking in EU from the PS3 and pronto.  Put simply the 360 has done a little better than I thought it would, but the PS3 has done much worse than probably anyone thought it would, up to this point it was reversable but black friday is somewhat of a trend-setting thing, this bodes very badly for the PS3 and very good for the Wii/360 for the rest of the holidays. 

I'll wait for final numbers to call it official but that looks to be the case.

edit: I wanted to clarify a bit...

The problem the PS3 has is that even though YoY on a weekly basis it's up, it's still way behind where the other 2 consoles are in terms of growth.  This most likely means that there are simply more consumers this year but that the PS3 is getting a smaller share.  So an increase in RAW units definitely, but a decrease in market share as well.

Last year during Wk 5 the 360, PS3, and Wii sold 232k, 152k, and 332k respectively in NA.  The prelim data is showing around ~500k plus, ~225k, and ~900k respectively which represents a 115% plus, 48%, and  171% increase respectively. 

In effect last year this week the PS3 was 21% of the market, but this year they are only ~14% of the market, which , using the exact figures, translates to 34.8% of their market share evaporating YoY.

Well, Others sales are up, and with NA estimates also in, we can see a rough guess at how the consoles will compare to last year.

360: 35,259 to go...

Oh boy... this is going to be a huge week for the 360. With an estimated 500,000 units sold in NA last week, 360 is going to see a huge increase YoY. Sqrl might have to expand the Raw Units graph just to accommodate the increase.

PS3: 200,533 to go...

Well well well, the PS3 will most likely see it's first YoY increase since week 1. With an estimated 220,000 units sold last week in NA, Sony's machine will see a much needed boost. Welcome back to the green side PS3.

Wii: 169,663 to go...

Yeah. Sqrl is definitely going to have to expand the Raw Units graph. With an estimated 800,000 units sold in NA last week, Wii is going to see an enormous week. Yep, that's more than 1 million units in one week already. Crazy indeed.

Around the Network

With all the amazingly high numbers we are getting here, I'm going to ask all you number-crunchers a question:

Will this be the biggest holiday season ever, concerning video-game hardware in units?

What does this year have to contend with?

Maybe these questions deserves their own thread, but I thought if I could get a short answer it would be awesome.

This is invisible text!

@Killergran,

Short Answer: This should easily be the biggest holiday ever in terms of both hardware and software unit sales.

The best year prior to this was probably holiday 2002 when the PS2 set the single week all-time high of 1.76M for a console, but I'm not totally sure on that one to be honest.

So it looks like we are going to see something like this:

Wii: 1.4M
PS3: 390k
360: 823k

Note: This is based on preliminary NA data and posted EU data, combined with rough estimates for JP (which should be relatively minor for all three consoles anyways).

Sqrl said:
So it looks like we are going to see something like this:

Wii: 1.4M
PS3: 390k
360: 823k

Note: This is based on preliminary NA data and posted EU data, combined with rough estimates for JP (which should be relatively minor for all three consoles anyways).

Its amazing (and sad) just how minor Japan has become in terms of sales. I think the UK is outpacing it!

The Wii will continue to sell like hotcakes but I think this christmas will be remembered for the 360's comeback. The 360 has a real chance of hitting a million one week in december. I NEVER thought I would say that!!!!

NA and EU in, now waiting on JP before I update.