By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - And she was almost our VP ...

akuma587 said:

Good work madskillz. Sqrl put up some good links too.

But how is a Palin aide supporting Palin a reliable source?  That's like me going on record to defend the Democratic Party.  Not really risking very much.  Some of the other ones are at least relatively non-involved.

But you act like someone issuing a statement that allegations aren't true automatically negates them.  Plenty of people did that for the Obama-Ayers' connection but that still seemed to be at the forefront of a lot of people's minds.

And why does not going on record automatically make a source unreliable?  It might even show that they aren't trying to get any personal credit for breaking the story.  Hell, the guy's identity who broke the Nixon scandal wasn't revealed until a year or two ago.

If you guys would like to base your views and opinions of a person on those who refuse to stake their claim to their own words then that's fine by me, it speaks loud and clear all by itself as far as I'm concerned.  I'd gladly be the person in any debate who was standing on the side of the issue that places more faith & believability in those who stand by their words than those who do not, and that places more faith & believability in those who were most intimately familiar with the subject/person, than those who are not.  If you concede that higher ground, as you seem to be doing, then I gladly take it.

Now on the issue of Ayers I'll speak briefly since its a complicated topic and not the subject of this thread.  Ayers was not an issue of anonymous sources versus named sources.  It was named sources supplying documents to support themselves VS named sources with no documents to support themselves.

If you want a good example of vetting your source before you go to print, check out this story(interesting in its own rite).  The article is about the naming of Omaha & Utah beach and explains a bit about the 3 years they've had this information and been vetting it...and it was from a named source.  The issue was as simple as "How was this beach named?". Note the list of sources and places they checked to confirm to see if things added up.  The situation is far from identical (that's not the point I'm making though) and I'm not suggesting they should have sat on the Palin story for 3 years.  What I am saying is that I've yet to see any cross-checked facts or even an attempt at the kind of investigative thoroughness that we see in this Omaha/Utah Beach article. This kind of work is called journalism, and is what a real journalist would do as part of basic journalistic integrity before running such a story to begin with (even when its not a story that could ruin someone's livelihood).  It seems to me that the only support for the rumors so far is the previous round of debunked rumors, which in all likelihood came from the exact same source(s).

In fact the only cross-checked fact that I've seen mentioned thus far was the conversation involving Africa in which Steve Beigun (the guy who was actually having the conversation with her) said “Somebody is taking a conversation and twisting it maliciously,”.  Beigun is not a palin stooge, the man is a former NSC with an impressive resume and no reason to poison his own political career by throwing in with an idiot. You would have to believe that both Beigun and Palin are co-idiots for this story to have believability at this point.  Because if Palin were even 1/10th as clueless as Madskillz and yourself seem to believe Beigun would be taking a massive risk that only a moron would take, because he gains literally nothing by helping her if she is an idiot. His only play here is to set himself up for a future play in the event that she were to gain power in Washington down the road. Now, if he thought her to be an idiot he likely wouldn't put any weight behind the notion of her future prospects, and thus none behind her defense as well.  Speculation to be sure, but far more reliable speculation than your speculation on the potential altruistic motives of an unnamed source.

This is why named sources for rumors are important, because in addition to opening themselves to scrutiny of their motives, if they are proven wrong they are forced to take the responsibility. An anonymous source can simply move on to the next rumor without need for rehabilitation or cause for concern about their future reputation.  The paper does take some risk, but it is largely mitigated by the fact that they routinely shift that blame back to their source when it proves wrong. Even then a paper only attests to the fact that things their source has said in the past were reliable, they have no actual knowledge of the current situation.

So again I say, I've named my sources, who are yours?

PS - You really should read that story I linked in this post, its a fascinating WWII story.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Coca-Cola said:
Mistakes can be made.

Clearly that was a slip of the tongue (he says 57 with one to go and two he would not visit). Unless you're willing to believe Obama thinks there are 60 states. I find it less hard to believe that he simply said "fifty" instead of "forty".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I love Sarah Palin, I wish she would be our future VP.

LordTheNightKnight said:
I'm just noting that of the worst attention in this election, Hillary and Sarah got the worst.

And this election was supposed to be about making history? Well for the news, it was more about making only one kind. Ugh.

Yeah, i didn't realize until after she lost the primary how sexist things were with Hillary. 

She caught a lot of flack simply because she was a woman... a lot of the "attacks" she made weren't really anything, and wouldn't have been seen as anything big, and often as fairly valid criticisms if she were a man.

It didn't help that Obama was just the perfect candidate to play off it... without really responding or doing anything it was easier to make her look more like a bitch.

Of course that's the problem with Women in general in the workforce.  They get hit with double standards due to preconceived notions everywhere.  If they are too bossy they're a bitch and lose respect a lot more then a guy who is a dick would... and they've got less leeway, if they're not bossy enough they're weak... etc.

A lot of people have always hated Hillary and think she is too bossy, hence the bitch remarks. And Obama was definitely a person who without even trying could make her look like even more of a bitch, because he is pretty level-headed. And honestly, her campaign was getting so dirty towards the end that even I, a former Hillary supporter, thought she was acting like a bitch.

I could care less that Palin is a woman, I can't stand her because she is Dan Quayle 2.0 with even more religious extremism to boot.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
A lot of people have always hated Hillary and think she is too bossy, hence the bitch remarks. And Obama was definitely a person who without even trying could make her look like even more of a bitch, because he is pretty level-headed. And honestly, her campaign was getting so dirty towards the end that even I, a former Hillary supporter, thought she was acting like a bitch.

I could care less that Palin is a woman, I can't stand her because she is Dan Quayle 2.0 with even more religious extremism to boot.

Due to a lot of people being sexist.

Sexism is worse then Racism and doesn't get half the attention...

heck there is still segregation of the sexes in some areas today.

Oh yeah, I completely agree with you Kasz. Its just so funny to me how people who hate Hillary (usually white males) would be downright offended if you told them they were sexist. At this point in our country's history, sexism is a much bigger problem than racism.

I just thought it was even more funny when Republicans turned on Democrats and the media calling them sexist for going after Palin after they had finished thoroughly lambasting Hillary for the last year or so. Its like the pot calling the kettle black.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Jo21 said:

what funny she represent a good part of the population.

i lived a year in the us.. and i was talking in spanish with my cousin and this woman around 20-30 years old comes to me and says:

she: oh so you speak mexican!.
me:no it's not mexican it's called spanish, i am from panama
she: oh yeah i knew that, panama city, florida?
me: no, panamy city, panama in central america.
she: is that part of mexico?

/me facepalms

for some reason she thought america was (canada, usa and mexico)
and everything south of usa is mexico or rather known as latin america.

Oh man, that happened to my wife a LOT.  She's from Panama as well and I don't know how many times I've heard that ignorant comment.  A lot of people, more than I thought, have this perception that all Hispanics are the same, or Mexican.  I'm Puertorican and my sister is going through this in school now, with one of her friends literally debating with her about whether she is Mexican or not.  It's hilarious and very sad at the same time.

Sqrl said:

Per Akuma

Sympathetic to a group that encourages secession from the Union - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI

Thanks for posting the video that debunks your point.  Just watching the video makes it obvious how BS this one is, she refers to them as competition, never endorses secession in any way(which given how gung ho about it you seem to think she is, is rather odd), and in general seems to be giving a "we disagree but lets work together" speech.  Seriously, if anyone watches that video and sees "secessionist sympathy" please inform me where you saw it, because I sure as hell didn't.

Married to a person who has strong ties to a group that wants to secede from the Union - http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-aip3-2008sep03,0,6399468.story

First of all his "strong ties" are that he used to be a member before he left the party.  Even if he was still a member he isn't running for office any more than Michelle Obama was, so what does it matter?  Or are you suggesting the Michelle Obama should have been thoroughly vetted?  Or does the creed "Families are off limits." espoused by Obama only apply to candidates you support?

Multiple sources that she went hogwild on expensive shopping sprees -
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/david_hughes/blog/2008/11/06/sarah_palin_and_that_150000_clothes_bill

and ... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06mccain.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Your first link doesn't even try to cite a name and your second link says "...who spoke on the condition of anonymity..".  That's not very convincing when someone won't put their name next to their comments.  Why not?  Where, exactly, is your source for this? 

How about a named source?  For instance Meg Stapleton who actually stakes her name and reputation when she says ' Palin was told "here's your people, here are your clothes.”' and the campaign said, "'this is what you need as a VP candidate.'

Was asked basic questions in interviews and was completely clueless - on camera - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbQwAFobQxQ

I said it then, and I'll say it now.  It was a bad interview, but its not even close to the Palin-hater's love-fest you guys have tried to turn it into. 

Of course the counterpoint to this would be her selection for a documentary she filmed back in April,  "Incredible Women".   Apparently the guy who filmed it didn't see the "completely clueless" person you saw in this interview...but what does he know?  He only spent several weeks with her day in and day out, getting to know her far better than either of us and well before she was surrounded by the bias inducing VP selection.  Again the people who know her best are unanimous about her high intellect & strong character, only those with political motivations seem to find any fault.

Indisputable fact?  Hardly.  Neither of us have any actual proof, but at least my source has intimate knowledge over a long period of time and well before there was reason for him to inject bias into his assessment.  This compared to  a heavily edited interview which you simply formed a personal opinion about well after you'd decided you despised the woman (you probably wouldn't even disagree with that assessment).

Has no clue on major events, party policies and doctrines and sticks to GOP talking points like glue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z75QSExE0jU

I personally debunked this in a thread on this website when then interview came out, and I think you were involved in that thread (could be wrong on that).  But just in case you missed it, the bush doctrine is not a single clearly defined thing.  Her confusion was not only legitimate but her answer was the correct answer given the scope of the phrase and the lack of any indication which aspect Gibson was questioning, an indication that is essential for the question to make any amount of sense.

Even wikipedia gets this one right: "The Bush Doctrine is a phrase used to describe various related foreign policy principles of United States president George W. Bush. "I'm not going to go digging up that thread to debunk something I've already debunked, if you need cited sources feel free to dig through my post history to find them.  Charles Krauthammer, among other writers from both sides of the isle, wrote an article on this at the time stating they wouldn't have known what Gibson meant because the question was ambiguous.  For the record, Krauthammer is the one who actually coined the phrase all the way back in Feb '01.

Had the VP debate gimped to allow her to compete - http://www.adn.com/opinion/sarah-palin/story/539459.html

First, ADN being a paper that opposes her in Alaska, and routinely ran and still runs op-ed hitpeices on her is questionable to begin with  If that wasn't bad enough the person they chose to write the article, Mr Andrew Halcro, is one of (if not the) biggest political enemy she has in Alaska and the article itself is simply his opinion of her.  Now, to be clear, simply being politically opposed isn't the issue I have with Halcro, its that he actively seeks to hurt her on a regular basis. 

I'm pretty sure that invested political enemies don't count as a legitimate source.  But nice try (again, I know I've debunked you on this one before, which speaks for itself).

Has proven time and time again she is a diva, not a leader - http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/25/palin-diva/

Yet more anonymous sources linking to other articles who also have anonymous sources.  And yet again real people (the kind with names to associate with their comments) are willing to defend her. Again who is your source exactly?

So your arguments come from:

- Anonymous sources that are at odds with sources willing to actually stake their reputation on their claims. 

- Her political enemies.

- Previously debunked lies.

I rest my case.

Seriously, Sqrl, I know you like Sarah and will defend her. That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But honestly, regardless of what someone posts, you'll dig and cherry pick until you find the information favorable for her. He asked for sources and I provided. Unless a person is actually there, anyone can say what they want.

There are two things I want to address - first, the video. So, you are saying it's ok to support a political party in your state that wants to secede from the Union? Why even make a video saying 'Welcome' to a group like that? There was a group like that back in the day - and tried to secede. It was in the 1860s. How sending a shout-out for a group like that - and defend it is very interesting.

Second, you would have virtually no news without a source. If they are unnamed and the information is credible, you run with it. Any news today - breaking news - never has a named source.

Of the major news announcements recently - Obama's transition team, him picking Biden, GOP folks saying McCain was finished and such - all were unnamed sources. I am a journalist - I have been for 12 years - and that's how it works. You can have a major player giving you the info - and it checks out, you name the source, you lose credibility. Sources will only get burned once. Reporters and editors have been to jail to protect their sources. Name them? Anyone not in the biz would say that, but that's not how things work in the business.

madskillz said:

Seriously, Sqrl, I know you like Sarah and will defend her. That's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But honestly, regardless of what someone posts, you'll dig and cherry pick until you find the information favorable for her. He asked for sources and I provided. Unless a person is actually there, anyone can say what they want.

There are two things I want to address - first, the video. So, you are saying it's ok to support a political party in your state that wants to secede from the Union? Why even make a video saying 'Welcome' to a group like that? There was a group like that back in the day - and tried to secede. It was in the 1860s. How sending a shout-out for a group like that - and defend it is very interesting.

Second, you would have virtually no news without a source. If they are unnamed and the information is credible, you run with it. Any news today - breaking news - never has a named source.

Of the major news announcements recently - Obama's transition team, him picking Biden, GOP folks saying McCain was finished and such - all were unnamed sources. I am a journalist - I have been for 12 years - and that's how it works. You can have a major player giving you the info - and it checks out, you name the source, you lose credibility. Sources will only get burned once. Reporters and editors have been to jail to protect their sources. Name them? Anyone not in the biz would say that, but that's not how things work in the business.

Exactly.  Sqrl is treating a common journalism practice like it is something reprehensible.  And the people speaking out against Palin have a lot more to lose than the people who would support her (like her own aides, who would probably benefit from supporting her).  They could potentially be alienated from the Republican Party and might never work again in politics.

But obviously they are just out to get Sarah Palin.  I mean what other explanation is there?  They've obviously got the pettiest intentions in mind and don't care at all about the Republican Party itself.  They just want to hurt Sarah Palin.  That's the only explanation.  Its a vast liberal conspiracy with Michael Moore at the bottom of it fabricating lies to slander the good name of Sarah Palin.