By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN....R2 vs GEARS 2 Comparison!

Badassbab said:
Zim,

I was itching to reply to Sony fanboy forevercloud3000s' misleading post but you got it spot on.

People have to remember IGN have seperate editorials for each gaming machine, it's not one team reviews all.

? at blue....

and as for the other statement...

That is another issue I have with review scores as a whole. From what I have seen with IGN, the Sony reviewer side is much harsher with review scores then the MS Side. Games that are globally seen as equal all of a sudden are less spectacular on the PS3 because Sony review side had way too high of expectations. Unfortunately for the PS3 this leads to the common belief that 360 games are exceedingly of better quality when they are actually very similar when it comes to level of quality.

But I feel we are straying to far off topic now......

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

I'll be getting R2 this Christmas and that'll keep me happy for a while. I want Gears 2 but not a 360. Epic better not screw around, I want Gears 2 on the PC.

iclim4 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Interesting...gears got four 9.5s in its review while r2 got 2....yet they get the exact same score....
The classic "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts" scenario.

According to the review summaries, Gears 2 had a great score but "voice acting [that] could use some work" and "multiplayer issues" (that are fixable).  Resistance 2 had no narrator but "great voice acting" and no mention of multiplayer issues.  Both games had visual issues (framerate/texture and "weird technical/visual", respectively).  Based on the summaries I would guess that Resistance has a more consistent quality level while Gears 2 is better in some places and worse in others. 

I think equal scores are completely fair.  I would guess that any argument to bring one down to 9.0 could just as easily bring the other down to 9.0 as well.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Jordahn said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I was just letting him know, in case he based his opinion off an assumtion. Skeeuk can stand up for himself, trust me on that.

Sure, that is understandable, but you cannot claim "The bolded part isn't true" when it might be to him assumption or not based on his particular gaming preferences.

That's true, I assumed that it was an assumption, making me just as guilty as the person I sought to convice.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Zim said:

As for Fallout 3. The PS3 version had a few issues supposedly, I watched my friends play it for PS3 and saw nothing wrong. Come to find out, the 360 version has the same ratio of graphical issues if not more. It depends mostly on system to system basis. Also the 360 version has some game breaking issues as well, ones that the PS3 version lacks. So Not only did the PS3 version not deserve to be marked lower then the 360 version, it deserved to be HIGHER. Yet IGN only partially corrected their mistake by making the scores even now.

This is completely untrue. The PS3 version has a worse frame-rate at parts of the game, and the game partially freezes when you're connected to the internet and a user logs on. It's confirmed by several websited, including IGN, Gamespot, and Official Playstation Magazine.

Don't take IGNs review retraction as an admission that the PS3 version is equal. They just removed a specific complaint so the review would be able to be valid after the patch.

The assertion that Fallout 3 deserves to be rated higher on the PS3 than 360 is utter anecdotal nonsense. One website says the game runs fine on the PS3, 40 others say it is not only the worse version, but a particularly bad version of the game.

You're a Sony fan. Sometimes being a big fan of something, makes you think things are unjust, when they aren't.

Sometimes, fans just accept it, like in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46965

Give it a glance before you reply.

I have seen the PS3 version in action. It runs perfectly fine. I do not doubt that there very well may be some frame glitching, screen tearing, slight pausing. Yet from what I have heard of the 360 version, is that it bears these very same issues. I have also read that the 360 version has a game crashing glitch while saving. Thats the kind of glitch that should get points deducted, not some miniscule frame skip.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

I just cant wait for Thursday to come. I am so hyped.

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)

the caption says it is NOT an average. So one game can have 4 9.5 and the other 2 9.5 but maybe each game has those weighed with different scales depending on the style.

nice scores, for both games. i am getting resistance 2 for myself and gears 2 for my nephew.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Different criteria, and I'm going to assume different reviewers, and yet both got the same score. The overall score is the only meaningful score, since the other scores don't even tally in any way that makes sense, and you're not playing a game called "Presentation" or "Graphics". You're playing Resistance 2 or Gears of War 2.

And if we're going to have arguments about scores, Gears of War 2 is higher on Gamerankings (although it may have less reviews).

forevercloud3000 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Zim said:

As for Fallout 3. The PS3 version had a few issues supposedly, I watched my friends play it for PS3 and saw nothing wrong. Come to find out, the 360 version has the same ratio of graphical issues if not more. It depends mostly on system to system basis. Also the 360 version has some game breaking issues as well, ones that the PS3 version lacks. So Not only did the PS3 version not deserve to be marked lower then the 360 version, it deserved to be HIGHER. Yet IGN only partially corrected their mistake by making the scores even now.

This is completely untrue. The PS3 version has a worse frame-rate at parts of the game, and the game partially freezes when you're connected to the internet and a user logs on. It's confirmed by several websited, including IGN, Gamespot, and Official Playstation Magazine.

Don't take IGNs review retraction as an admission that the PS3 version is equal. They just removed a specific complaint so the review would be able to be valid after the patch.

The assertion that Fallout 3 deserves to be rated higher on the PS3 than 360 is utter anecdotal nonsense. One website says the game runs fine on the PS3, 40 others say it is not only the worse version, but a particularly bad version of the game.

You're a Sony fan. Sometimes being a big fan of something, makes you think things are unjust, when they aren't.

Sometimes, fans just accept it, like in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=46965

Give it a glance before you reply.

I have seen the PS3 version in action. It runs perfectly fine. I do not doubt that there very well may be some frame glitching, screen tearing, slight pausing. Yet from what I have heard of the 360 version, is that it bears these very same issues. I have also read that the 360 version has a game crashing glitch while saving. Thats the kind of glitch that should get points deducted, not some miniscule frame skip.

Fallout 3

Read critic reviews
How did we calculate this?
based on 280 votes
Read user comments
Rate this game
Fallout 3

Read critic reviews
How did we calculate this?
based on 95 votes
Read user comments
Rate this game

Your original assertion was that game deserved to be rated higher on the Playstation 3. Gamespot, IGN, OPMuk, and several other sources confirm that the 360 version is superior for many many reasons, and the official Fallout 3 forums(and all forums on the internet) confirm that certain problems do appear and are significant on the PS3 version of the game. Sites actually rated the PS3 version lower, just to make this clear.

The game does play worse, and has more glitches on the Playstation 3 version. It does not deserve a higher score than the 360 version.

I'm not saying the PS3 version is bad. I'm just saying that it's not superior in any way, and in reality, there hasn't been a game this big, that has been as significantly worse on the PS3 version, since The Orange Box.

The reason seems obvious. Multiplats need to be developed for the PS3 first, in order to be easily ported. Bathesda is a PC company. They weren't making 3 specific versions of the game, or simply porting the game to the PS3 with months of maticulious labor like they did with the PS3 port of Oblivion. They made the game on PC. They ported it to 360 and PS3. They launched the same day. Thus, the PS3 version didn't get the special attention PS3 versions need to run well.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.