By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Gears 2 The New Benchmark For Video Games?

theprof00 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
theprof00 said:
Benchmark implies that every new game should at least be like it.
I disagree, if every game turned out like GeoW2, I would not be very happy.
It is great as a divergent game, a game that shakes things up.
It wouldn't be great if every game were like it.

I think it just means that every new TPS, or cover system game, ect, should use elements from it.

exactly.

If you read the Eurgamer review on R2, they mention that they gave a low score because it did not have "motion blur". Motion blur is one of the things GeOW has that differes it from other shooters. Now, saying motion blur is awesome is one thing. Saying, every game from here on out should have motion blur is another thing.

Can you link me that review?

Also, yeah, I was thinking more about active reloading, sales, active things happening on screen, textures, gameflow, stuff like that. Big stuff. Motion blur is just polish on an already excellent package. It's not a benchmark.

Just look at how heavily Dead Space borrows from RE4, to see how some games set benchmarks that other companies emulate with great success, and it increases the quality of their games.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

oh i'm sorry it was 1up's review of r2 not eurogamer.

Didn't Gears 1 already kind of fill those shoes?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

reask said:

Having read the reviews that have come in for this game I am blown away.

Also watching the videos of the various gameplay aspects It looks incredible.

Is there anything out there that is really as good?

The first game was the first next generation game to come out imo.

This one just looks as if the bar has been set much higher.

Your thoughts would be interesting.

but u have to state in what way does it benchmark, i do not belive it benchmarkes in any given catogory mostly, as there isnt any other notable 3rd person shooter out there that is similar.

so to benchmark whar gears offers, you would have to narrow it down, ie grafix audio story controlls etc etc.

i would give it a 1up on controls as it ushered in a new cover system

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

IGN have this to say about Gears 2.

"The best AI in any videogame. The game pushes HD visuals to a new level. The closest game to Hollywood feel. The most amazing production values they've seen. The most detailed textures by some way. Flawless apart from the narrative being to cliche."

Thats from the latest IGN UK review.

Dont know about you, but it ticks alot of best ever boxes.

Around the Network
Daxter210 said:
reask said:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and GT5 Prologue are still the best games for graphics. And Resistance 2 is the best games for features on-line (8 player co-op and 60 player online)

When Killzone 2 will be released, will be the new Benchmark For Video Games for graphics, physics and everything.

Gears of War 2 is a good game, but has the same graphics of GOW1 and the physics is absent (this is the biggest problem of GOW1 and 2).

LOL at this. All the reviews Ive read completely disagree with you on the graphics front. Also if you have played KZ1, I would wait to see if the game rocks. Alot of playthroughs from E3 and GDC said the graphics were win, but the gameplay wasnt that great.

KatinJin said:
Gamespy says yes:

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

So, yes.

I'm actually rather alarmed that it appears Gamespy console reviewers have never played a PC game like Crysis & Crysis Warhead.  Both on a high end PC are superior visually to Gears and pretty much everything else that I've seen since.  They don't play as well as Gears (although they are good) and the plot for Crysis in particular goes 'a bit wrong' but visually they remain the bar - one so high each new video card/CPU actually seems to allow more and more of the game's engine to shine.

I'm not knocking GeOW2 - it's visually great and I think the best looking 360 game yet and possibly the best looking HD console game yet.  But of all time?  Compared to games with higher resolutions, bigger draw distances, same or greater level of detail, etc?  Nope.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Skeeuk said:
reask said:

but u have to state in what way does it benchmark, i do not belive it benchmarkes in any given catogory mostly, as there isnt any other notable 3rd person shooter out there that is similar.

so to benchmark whar gears offers, you would have to narrow it down, ie grafix audio story controlls etc etc.

i would give it a 1up on controls as it ushered in a new cover system

The game just looks amazing to me both visually and from a gameplay point.

I have not seen anything that matches it.

But that is my opinion obviously other folks will beg to differ.

I mean can you show me something that matches it in every way.

Reasonable said:
KatinJin said:
Gamespy says yes:

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

So, yes.

I'm actually rather alarmed that it appears Gamespy console reviewers have never played a PC game like Crysis & Crysis Warhead.  Both on a high end PC are superior visually to Gears and pretty much everything else that I've seen since.  They don't play as well as Gears (although they are good) and the plot for Crysis in particular goes 'a bit wrong' but visually they remain the bar - one so high each new video card/CPU actually seems to allow more and more of the game's engine to shine.

I'm not knocking GeOW2 - it's visually great and I think the best looking 360 game yet and possibly the best looking HD console game yet.  But of all time?  Compared to games with higher resolutions, bigger draw distances, same or greater level of detail, etc?  Nope.

I think it's pretty clear the reviewer was referring to just consoles.  Bringing PC's into the converstation pretty much ends it.

Best online no
Best Graphics no
Best single player no

Thus no, quite easy.