By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN reviews Gears of War 2....9.5

CAL4M1TY said:

I get the feeling IGN gave both the same score to avoid controversy, but it seems outright gears (according to the 4/5 9.5's they gave it to the 2/5 9.5's R2 got) should have got a better score.

I'm not saying Gears > Resistance, I'm just saying IGN seem more interested in not being labelled fanboys then they are giving definitive opinions about two obvious competitors.

Still, two epic games on two different consoles, can't ask more much better than that.

Remember the Fable 2 review? none of the score goes as high as the final score (which is 8.8). It's just how IGN works, don't read too much into it.

8.0 Presentation
The story is nothing special, but Albion is a believable world full of interesting people.
8.0 Graphics
The environments are impressive, and there’s a wide variety of looks for your character. The spells are visually potent.
8.5 Sound
Solid voice acting and a script packed with humor. The music takes some unexpected, but welcome, turns.
8.5 Gameplay
The combat system is a success and for the most part, the economic and morality systems work well, and the dog is a great addition. The co-op, though, is not up to par.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The main quest is short, but there are numerous other distractions. If you invest yourself in Fable II, you can spend easily spend 30 hours in Albion. If not, you can truck through in under 10 hours.
Great
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

lovely score

DMeisterJ said:
Cool. R2 is just as good as Gears 2.

I agree. R2 is not better than Gears 2.

Currently Playing:
Resistance 2 Co-op (anyone call for a Medic?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
F.E.A.R. (PC)

Currently Ignoring:
My 360 and Wii.

thats a great score

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

According to IGN, Gears 2 is the prettiest game around, but with some minor annoyances, and gets a 9.5 for graphics.

GTA IV got a 10 in graphics despite not being too pretty and had major annoyances like choppy framerate and pop-up.

We all know Rockstar bought those perfect 10s, but it's still nasty.

Around the Network

Great score.

Chrizum said:

According to IGN, Gears 2 is the prettiest game around, but with some minor annoyances, and gets a 9.5 for graphics.

GTA IV got a 10 in graphics despite not being too pretty and had major annoyances like choppy framerate and pop-up.

if Gears 2 is a free-roaming game like GTAIV. then I will agree with you.

It's not even the same genre, geez, what's up with the hate? This isn't even a thread about GTAIV

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
Chrizum said:

It's not even the same genre, geez, what's up with the hate? This isn't even a thread about GTAIV

Hate? I'm basically saying if GTA got a 10 for graphics, and Gears 2 is the prettiest game according to IGN, it should get a 10 too. Is that rocket science for you or what?

Chrizum said:
kingofwale said:
Chrizum said:

Hate? I'm basically saying if GTA got a 10 for graphics, and Gears 2 is the prettiest game according to IGN, it should get a 10 too. Is that rocket science for you or what?

Does Gears have the same draw-distance as GTA? you can go anywhere you want with GTA? Of course, when you are going at a set-pass, it is a lot easy to make it look good.

selnor
Episode 2:

Moving all Gears 2 reviews to one place
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47667