By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony and MS's approach to exclusive contents: which is better?

^^^Insomniac aren't owned by Sony and I have heard a rumour that their first ever multiplat game will be revealed at GDC 2009, named "Lock & Key".
You may remember their new studio that opened some time ago, presumably this will be their multiplat studio. The rest of Insomniac will continue to make PS-exclusive games- A new R & C game for 2009, Resistance 3 etc...

Around the Network
Lord N said:
Munkeh111 said:
Lord N said:
Munkeh111 said:
Insomniac is not 1st party, I don't get how Sony have managed to get so many exclusives from them and still haven't bought them, I don't think Insomniac have made a game on a non-Sony platform

Sony owns the IP's that they develop. (Ratchet & Resistance)

I am not sure about that, I definitely read an interview with Brian (I think) Hastings, who said that they are 100% independent from Sony, it was in an older OPM, though he could be lying

I said that they own the IP's, not the developer.

Insomniac couldn't make a Ratchet or Resistance game without Sony's permission.

By 100% independent I mean Sony have no control over them, and it would also imply they own their own IPs. To be honest, I am not sure

@ the god of war, the studio is for more Quest for Booty style things, and experimenting with new ideas

Munkeh111 said:
Lord N said:
Munkeh111 said:
Lord N said:
Munkeh111 said:
Insomniac is not 1st party, I don't get how Sony have managed to get so many exclusives from them and still haven't bought them, I don't think Insomniac have made a game on a non-Sony platform

I am not sure about that, I definitely read an interview with Brian (I think) Hastings, who said that they are 100% independent from Sony, it was in an older OPM, though he could be lying

By 100% independent I mean Sony have no control over them, and it would also imply they own their own IPs. To be honest, I am not sure

@ the god of war, the studio is for more Quest for Booty style things, and experimenting with new ideas

Well, here's where I heard the rumour, although I'm not too sure about this guy's track record:

http://www.vgtilt.com/search?updated-max=2008-10-25T10%3A11%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=10

And "experimenting with new ideas" does kind of include multiplat games, Insomniac have never done that before.

If you go forward a couple of pages to a newer post, he also says Uncharted 2 and possibly a new Jak and Daxter game will be revealed at GDC 2009 as well.

As a gamer I prefer Sony's approach to exclusive content due to the fact that their 1st/2nd party studios generate many of my favorite titles. From a business perspective, Microsoft's approach has been extremely effective in preventing Sony from repeating the success of the PS2. The big problem with relying on exclusive 3rd party support is that it only works while you are more popular. If Microsoft make mistakes or launch late next gen they could find themselves in the same place Sony is with the PS3 but without adequate 1st party development to buoy their next console.

The_God_of_War said:
Munkeh111 said:
Lord N said:
Munkeh111 said:
Lord N said:
Munkeh111 said:

Well, here's where I heard the rumour, although I'm not too sure about this guy's track record:

http://www.vgtilt.com/search?updated-max=2008-10-25T10%3A11%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=10

And "experimenting with new ideas" does kind of include multiplat games, Insomniac have never done that before.

If you go forward a couple of pages to a newer post, he also says Uncharted 2 and possibly a new Jak and Daxter game will be revealed at GDC 2009 as well.

Interesting, I am not sure about it because he says Insomnica aren't making money on their games... they have already sold about 5m copies (shipped), so if they are not making money, I don't know what they want. he also talks about being able to release each year with a new studio... they have been doing that for the last 6 years, and since the release of Disruptor, there have been two years without an Insomniac game, and there are two this year.

As for the other rumours, I have heard stuff about the fact that there is still a lot about inFamous that we don't know

As for Uncharted, I really hope it is true, but I doubt they could release Uncharted 2 and Jak 4 in the same year

He does gain credibilty for having both Jak and Daxter and Uncharted in his top 50 games, but I still doubt that Insomniac are making multi platform games. That new studio is only a small studio, and I doubt they would pay for all the dev kits and learn how to make Xbox games just for that small studio for small experimental games. I am sure we would have seen job listings for 360 programmers if that was the case

Around the Network

He also looses credibility for not trusting VGC, as I saw when reading some more of his blog

@Munkeh111- I hadn't thought of that, surely Insomniac have made a ton of money with Resistance and R & C selling so well. Well, as I said, I'm not sure about this guy's track record. And it's bizarre how Sony would suddenly allow them to make multiplat games.

Jak 4 could be a small downloadable title like R & C: QFB. That way ND could realistically release Uncharted 2 and that in the same year. Although I'd prefer a full blown game myself.

The_God_of_War said:
@Munkeh111- I hadn't thought of that, surely Insomniac have made a ton of money with Resistance and R & C selling so well. Well, as I said, I'm not sure about this guy's track record. And it's bizarre how Sony would suddenly allow them to make multiplat games.

Jak 4 could be a small downloadable title like R & C: QFB. That way ND could realistically release Uncharted 2 and that in the same year. Although I'd prefer a full blown game myself.

Actually they should make some good money from Quest for Booty as well, because it has sold about 150k disc copies in Europe (without UK) so should sell very well worldwide, and did not cost much to make

I would kill Naughty Dog if it was a short game! I think the most likely thing is that we get Uncharted 2 next year, and then Jak 4 in 2010, maybe there will be a very short teaser showing us the game is coming. I am not sure Sony will use GDC, they just announced Resistance 2 in Jan last year, and as MM said in one of his threads, Sony seems to be moving away from just announcements at major events

If that Multiplat Inzomniac studio is true, then I wonder how SONY will react....

4 ≈ One

MS has shown Sony that 3rd party exclusives are never guaranteed, which makes it ironic that MS is banking so much on 3rd party exclusives.

Yes, Sony is making the bigger risk, but they are doing it correctly, and look to reap the rewards. Without the 1st party support, MS is gambling future success on its console alone. If the NextBox doesn't take off, 3rd parties will leave them high and dry the way they did the N64, GameCube and, to some degree, the PS3. Can you imagine where GameCube would have been without first party software? Not pretty.