By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Enhanced graphics are not important any more

RolStoppable said:
Legend11 said:
It's selling like hotcakes because of Wii Sports and will be selling like hotcakes next year because of Wii Fit, because lets be honest if there was no Wii Sports does everyone here actually think it would still be selling like it is even with it's new motion controller? Oh and the price difference likely has something to do with it as well, too bad we couldn't increase the price of the Wii to $499 US and see how quickly it sells out then...

It's really a surprise that a console is selling because of games, isn't it?

That Nintendo's controllers are always tailored to their own games (or is it the other way around, you decide) isn't a surprise either. Consoles sell because of the games and the fun they offer, not because of their hardware specs.

Price is of course a factor, but honestly, did anyone tell Sony or Microsoft that they had to make consoles that have initial prices of $400 respectively $600?

It's not Nintendo's fault that Sony/MS don't know (or forgot) how to be successful in this business.

But Sony and Microsoft were looking to benefit the gamer by taking losses on their super wonderful God machines. Not like that evil Nintendo wanting to "expand" the market by bringing in new comers (I'll frag 'em in Halo. pwned! lol) and wanting to make money because they don't have the resources of the others. Will someone think of the shooters we'll lose if Nintendo takes over?!

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.

Around the Network
Punch Rockgroin said:
RolStoppable said:
Legend11 said:
It's selling like hotcakes because of Wii Sports and will be selling like hotcakes next year because of Wii Fit, because lets be honest if there was no Wii Sports does everyone here actually think it would still be selling like it is even with it's new motion controller? Oh and the price difference likely has something to do with it as well, too bad we couldn't increase the price of the Wii to $499 US and see how quickly it sells out then...

It's really a surprise that a console is selling because of games, isn't it?

That Nintendo's controllers are always tailored to their own games (or is it the other way around, you decide) isn't a surprise either. Consoles sell because of the games and the fun they offer, not because of their hardware specs.

Price is of course a factor, but honestly, did anyone tell Sony or Microsoft that they had to make consoles that have initial prices of $400 respectively $600?

It's not Nintendo's fault that Sony/MS don't know (or forgot) how to be successful in this business.

But Sony and Microsoft were looking to benefit the gamer by taking losses on their super wonderful God machines. Not like that evil Nintendo wanting to "expand" the market by bringing in new comers (I'll frag 'em in Halo. pwned! lol) and wanting to make money because they don't have the resources of the others. Will someone think of the shooters we'll lose if Nintendo takes over?!

We really do just need one console right?  Just like we only need one tv channel (Disney or ABC Family, take your pick).   Also we only need Disney movies and they need to be low budget with low special effects, I mean look at Transformers or other Hollywood blockbusters they're putting way too much money into them and it's a huge risk compared to making much cheaper movies where the returns can be high and the risks are much lower.  Anyways some people are acting like that with videogames and people need to realize that just like movies or tv or whatever other forms of entertainment that videogames are very diverse and there's no "right way".

Legend 11, stop being such a bitter fanboy about your choice in consoles. Just because the 360 is not the stellar success the Wii is doesn't mean you need to hijack a thread with pestering compaints that any self respecting Wii critic would have long since given up as legitimate reasons for discrediting the Wii. There is no reward and no condolence prize given out for selling as well as you can in spite of your MRSP, the bottom line is what the sales are irregardless the factors. The Wii cannot be held accountable for the poor choices made by Sony in designing the PS3 at the price point they did nor the decisions made by Microsoft in designing the 360 at the price point they did. And if the Wii did cost $499-$599 dollars, I can garantee you it would at least be on par with the PS3 if not 360 graphically, though I'm sure you would just like to keep telling yourself it would still be nothing more than two Gamecube's tied together and a waggle controller.

Cry more about Wii sports. Cry more about Wii Play. Cry more about Wii Fit. The bottom line is almost none of the developers were anticipating the Wii being a smash hit so put very little investment into it, a fact only further compounded by Nintendo holding back the Wii's dev stats as long as they did. Developer after developer has since come flocking to the Wii where as Developer after developer has abandoned the PS3 and the 360 remains a no mans land for Japanese developrs. You're just a generic pawn consumer who only desires to have generic "hardcore" games with the prettiest graphics. Your appetite for force fed child friendly games that let you think the 360 is competing with Nintendo's core audience is appauling. Your need for FPS clone after FPS clone is insatiable. Your desperation for WW2 shooters is beyond reason. Your value of luxury car driving sims is dubious at best.

You can talk smack about the choices Wii gamers have made when Microsoft and Sony stop making generic "hardcore" games largely geared towards the 13-15 year old audience who think nothing is cooler than explosions and blood at 780-1080dpi. The door swings both ways, lets not forget that the majority of the "stellar" line ups for the 360 and PS3 are games that can easily be forgotten a weak after their debut. Sure the Wii's line up is not that terribly impressive right now, but at least it's garanteed to grow.

Edit: My appologies to Legend11 for foolishly assuming he was a PS3 fanboy. It was an embarassing and foolhearty mistake and I have edited the post to better reflect his support of the 360.

LeroyBrown said:
Your need for FPS clone after FPS clone is insatiable. Your desperation for WW2 shooters is beyond reason. Your value of luxury car driving sims is dubious at best.

Why? Because what he enjoys in gaming doesn't pander to your preferences? His gaming proclivities are just as valid as yours.

He could just as well say the very same thing to you about Wii this and Wii that. Doesn't make either one of you right or wrong, better or worse for it. And don't even try to bring up sales ranking, trends, consumer habits and other performance metrics. This is strictly dealing with each one's individual preferences. For that Legend11 can blast away at terrorits after bloody terrorist in "1080dpi" as long as he wants, and as long as there is still a market for people who share his tastes.

Jesus, it's like arguing whether someone prefers beef to chicken. And you're being just as bitter as him by enforcing your views on him regarding your "quality" choice in consoles.

I have to admit, every WW2 game looks the same to me. Just like every "gimmick-less" racing game looks the same to me. Eh. It just kinda bores me, it's uninteresting.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Around the Network
LeroyBrown said:
Legend 11, stop being such a bitter brat about your poor choice in consoles. Just because the PS3 is not the stellar success you want it to be doesn't mean you need to hijack a thread with childish fanboy compaints that any self respecting Sony fanboy would have long since given up as legitimate reasons for discrediting the Wii. There is no reward and no condolence prize given out for selling as well as you can in spite of your MRSP, the bottom line is what the sales are irregardless the factors. The Wii cannot be held accountable for the poor choices made by Sony in designing the PS3 at the price point they did. And if the Wii did cost $499 dollars, I can garantee you it would at least be on par with the PS3 graphically, though I'm sure you would just like to keep telling yourself it would still be nothing more than two Gamecube's tied together and a waggle controller.

Cry more about Wii sports. Cry more about Wii Play. Cry more about Wii Fit. The bottom line is almost none of the developers were anticipating the Wii being a smash hit so put very little investment into it, a fact only further compounded by Nintendo holding back the Wii's dev stats as long as they did. Developer after developer has since come flocking to the Wii where as Developer after developer has abandoned the PS3. Sony's arrogance, huberous and foolishness has cost them, and you, the unwiting pawn of a consumer you are, dance to their drum beat out of your wants and desires to have generic "hardcore" games with the prettiest graphics. Your appetite for games that exploit genres made big by Microsoft's Xbox knows no limits. Your need for FPS clone after FPS clone is insatiable. Your desperation for WW2 shooters is beyond reason. Your value of luxury car driving sims is dubious at best.

You can talk shit about the Wii and its game library when Sony stops making generic "hardcore" games largely geared towards the 13-15 year old audience who think nothing is cooler than explosions and blood at 1080dpi.

LMAO he owns a 360 not a PS3

So much BS in your post just makes it that much more funny,

He misfired at the wrong company, doesn't make the post bullshit. It's just as true, just less useful in this debate.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

WiteoutKing said:
He misfired at the wrong company, doesn't make the post bullshit. It's just as true, just less useful in this debate.

1 "wants and desires to have generic "hardcore" games with the prettiest graphics"

2 "Sony stops making generic "hardcore" games largely geared towards the 13-15 year" 

3 "Sony fanboy would have long since given up as legitimate reasons for discrediting the Wii."

4 "Developer after developer has since come flocking to the Wii where as Developer after developer has abandoned the PS3"

All i see is a Nintendo fanboy rant, but its not bs its true ? ok.

Another Mario and Zelda so generic, Nintendo cant you even come up with new Ips.

Nintendo stop making generic kid games, adults also play games i want something like Gears or God of War.

Are nintendo fan so sad they they still think only waggle controlls matter in a game, everything else can be last gen ?

Yahh PS2 and PSP ports, what happend at E3 ? Still NO big franchice announcments for the wii.

Well mine is not bs, its also quite true.  Iam not writing an essey just to hide it.

@legend11AND your mother, finally here is one issue that we completely agree on =)

@vizion, graphics just don't matter to you maybe, but to call them unimportant is either naive or plain stupid. and NO, those games you listed could NEVER be made on the Wii........ because they would no longer be "those" games, they'd be different games, which should be enough for you, but it never is... this seems like more and more you are justifying your Wii, what, you jealous?

@leroybrown, you obviously don't know legend11, he's a total 360er. our poor choice in consoles? don't forget that MANY of us out here willing to shell out sometimes THOUSANDS of dollars for our game setup could buy a Wii on a whim, and I plan to when the current one is "worth" it to me.

50" Sony HDTV, bought SPECIFICALLY for my PS3 = $2700
PS3 60gb = $700
extended warranty = $100
extra controller = $50
bluetooth remote = $25
2 games = $120

$3695+

yeah i could go get a Wii right now if I "wanted" to, but TO ME it is not worth $300, because? graphics are still a little important to me. just go enjoy the damn thing and stop trying to negate others values.

It's not LeroyBrown, it's Gballzack and I don't know why no-one else has seen it??
Same posting style, same  attacks on people's personal tastes, and same errors and phrases she loved to use (though this time I won't make it easy and point them out :)).

The "mistake" of assuming Legend11 prefers the PS3 is deliberate.  Look at the post history, she been around long enough to know Legend11 left twice, but not know he prefers the X360? yeah right.

@Gball - I personally agree with many of your points, when they're objective (or at least semi-objective).  Your "graphics come and go" post earlier was one of the best I've read on these boards.  What I disliked was that some of your posts simply became nothing more than personal attacks on people's tastes and preferences. comments such as
"and you, the unwiting pawn of a consumer you are, dance to their drum beat out of your wants and desires to have generic "hardcore" games with the prettiest graphics. Your appetite for games that exploit genres made big by Microsoft's Xbox knows no limits. Your need for FPS clone after FPS clone is insatiable."
are just uncalled for - which by the way also shows how deliberate the "mistake" was in assuming Legend's preference.

@thread: My sincere apologies for this rant.  This is a great site, and it's frustrating to see it get spammed by the same person over-and-over.