By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the mighty have fallen?

Yes theyve fallen. And they may never rise back up again

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

Pristine... nowadays, who do you think would be the closest thing to the Square we knew from the SNES/PS1 days?

It's funny that people mention something like Chrono Cross as one of the "greats" considering that there were people swearing that Square 'went downhill' starting with the PS1 era and spend all their time trashing that game in particular.

I've gotten used to the trend of a sect of people claiming Square/Enix 'went down' at a specific point and time and can chalk up at least 4 examples that are driven into the ground. What I'm interested in is seeing all these people come together and how they'd react to/discuss the situation seeing as hey all have wildly varying opinions on when SE 'went downhill.'

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

JGarret said:
Pristine... nowadays, who do you think would be the closest thing to the Square we knew from the SNES/PS1 days?

No company comes to mind. Atlus is my current favorite company but they are yet to move on to nex-gen gaming. Their SMT series is still full of win regardless of gen though.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
zexen_lowe said:

I was wondering if anyone would note the shot.

Still, why I was kidding about that, it may be some of the reason, think about it, we have Square, that keeps pumping one amazing game after another, reinventing itself, setting new standars with every game, and then they merge with a company whose flagship series is one that it's 8th game has a story and gameplay that for me couldn't even be consireded good in the the NES era. I wonder if Enix has been responsible of slowing Square down, and that once amazing company has been reduced to do remake after remake, with great games far and between

I second this. DQVIII and DQIX look exactly the same. No 2 FFs look the same.

They are two different series; most people prefer DQ stays the way it is. The Japanese freaked when they tried to change the turn-based battle system. Personally, I'm looking forward to DQIX as much as FFXIII (I'm skeptical of how that'll turn out, though I'm sure XIIIv will be fine). It's just a different gaming experience.

Anyway, I think the Squaresoft --> Square Enix decline theory is confusing cause and effect. Look at the games just before the merger, and you notice the quality isn't much different than what they're putting out now. People complain about FFX-2 (I personally enjoyed it), but that was all Square, the merge was done during the localization of the game. Before the merger, Sakaguchi (FF guy) left, the Xenogears team left, and probably more I don't know about.

@ClaudeLv250: I personally was disappointed by Chrono Cross (a bit insulted, since Trigger is one of my all time favs), but I'd say their PS1 efforts were just fine. If we were to go by preference, it's true anyone could have an opinion on when the decline started. However, if we go by sales, it's a fact they went downhill during the PS2 era.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
It's funny that people mention something like Chrono Cross as one of the "greats" considering that there were people swearing that Square 'went downhill' starting with the PS1 era and spend all their time trashing that game in particular.

I've gotten used to the trend of a sect of people claiming Square/Enix 'went down' at a specific point and time and can chalk up at least 4 examples that are driven into the ground. What I'm interested in is seeing all these people come together and how they'd react to/discuss the situation seeing as hey all have wildly varying opinions on when SE 'went downhill.'

I hear a lot of people claiming chrono trigger was better but I've never played it so I don't know. I do know that chrono cross was the first agme I saw get a 10/10 from gamespot though and that used to be my review site of choice.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/index.html?tag=result;title;0

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
JGarret said:

No company comes to mind. Atlus is my current favorite company but they are yet to move on to nex-gen gaming. Their SMT series is still full of win regardless of gen though.

I agree with this, Atlus has been releasing a lot of great games in the last years, and we still haven't seen Persona 4

zexen_lowe said:
c0rd said:
zexen_lowe said:
Yeah, I miss the old Squaresoft, it's not that Squeenix has been a bad company, they realeased some good/great games (SO3, FFXII, TWEWY), but they don't have anymore the masterful quality and quantity they had in the PS era (FFVII, FFVIII, Tactics, Chrono Cross, etc.)

It's what you get when you merge with the company that makes Dragon Quest

Hah! Nice shot at DQ, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason though

OT: I know what you're talking about. I haven't thoroughly played their PS RPG's, but when I play their stuff from the SNES era I often think, "why can't they still make games like this?" Hell, Secret of Mana recently came out on the VC, there's a perfect example.

I don't think it's so much the performance of the PS3, it probably has more to do with the HD graphics. They also seem to have lost most of their talent... who knows where they are. If the team that did FFX is still there, they haven't done anything notable in 7 years - it makes me skeptical of FFXIII. They don't even do SO or DQ (done by tri-ace/Level 5), so all that leaves us with is the KH team and whoever did FFXII (scratch that if Matsuno was what people liked about it, because he left). That isn't much to look forward to.

Still, while I was kidding about that, it may be some of the reason. Think about it, we have Square, that keeps pumping one amazing game after another, reinventing itself, setting new standars with every game, and then they merge with a company whose flagship series is one that it's 8th game has a story and gameplay that for me couldn't even be consireded good in the the NES era. I wonder if Enix has been responsible of slowing Square down, and that once amazing company has been reduced to do remake after remake, with great games far and between

Well that makes no sense at all.

Enix is a company that has always gotten its talent from the outside. It's not possible for them to "slow down" Square when they have nothing to slow them down with. It's also been quite awhile since Square has resembled anything that "keeps pumping one amazing game after another, reinventing itself, setting new standars with every game."

If anything Square is holding back Enix. They had a much more versatile library with awesome games like Actraiser, Soul Blazer and EVO. After the merger, you don't see anything like that anymore. All the originality has given way to FF remakes and ports, and now Square is dipping into other franchises for remakes and ports. When their lineup is intersperesed with Final Fatasy remakes, ports and spinoffs and the acting CEO is from Square, I think it's quite ludicrous to suggest that Enix is behind some diabolical plot.

I want Actraiser 3, not FFX-3.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

PE1&2, Xenogears and Vagrant Story are great games, that sadly never sold enough to justify their goodness. These days, multiplayer is dominant and mostl huge hardcore sellers achieve such sales thanks to their online mode.

Poor sales of such gems and the big flop of FF: Spirits Within led to the inevitable buyout and merger with Enix. Their time as huge developer/publisher is over because the kind of games they are making are not that popular enough since the late ps1 days. Otherwise these 4 games would have sold much more in the West, especially during a time when they were partners with EA.

Have you people played the snes era DQs? If you haven´t then you don´t know what you´re talking about. Enix has always been a good developer and an even better publisher and , heck, without them Chrono Trigger would have never happened.

Actually, Atlus as a publisher releases lots of crap from their own third-tier teams and other small developers. But they have some people that always made amazing games for 20 years now.

ClaudeLv250 said:
zexen_lowe said:
c0rd said:
zexen_lowe said:
Yeah, I miss the old Squaresoft, it's not that Squeenix has been a bad company, they realeased some good/great games (SO3, FFXII, TWEWY), but they don't have anymore the masterful quality and quantity they had in the PS era (FFVII, FFVIII, Tactics, Chrono Cross, etc.)

It's what you get when you merge with the company that makes Dragon Quest

Hah! Nice shot at DQ, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reason though

OT: I know what you're talking about. I haven't thoroughly played their PS RPG's, but when I play their stuff from the SNES era I often think, "why can't they still make games like this?" Hell, Secret of Mana recently came out on the VC, there's a perfect example.

I don't think it's so much the performance of the PS3, it probably has more to do with the HD graphics. They also seem to have lost most of their talent... who knows where they are. If the team that did FFX is still there, they haven't done anything notable in 7 years - it makes me skeptical of FFXIII. They don't even do SO or DQ (done by tri-ace/Level 5), so all that leaves us with is the KH team and whoever did FFXII (scratch that if Matsuno was what people liked about it, because he left). That isn't much to look forward to.

Still, while I was kidding about that, it may be some of the reason. Think about it, we have Square, that keeps pumping one amazing game after another, reinventing itself, setting new standars with every game, and then they merge with a company whose flagship series is one that it's 8th game has a story and gameplay that for me couldn't even be consireded good in the the NES era. I wonder if Enix has been responsible of slowing Square down, and that once amazing company has been reduced to do remake after remake, with great games far and between

Well that makes no sense at all.

Enix is a company that has always gotten its talent from the outside. It's not possible for them to "slow down" Square when they have nothing to slow them down with. It's also been quite awhile since Square has resembled anything that "keeps pumping one amazing game after another, reinventing itself, setting new standars with every game."

If anything Square is holding back Enix. They had a much more versatile library with awesome games like Actraiser, Soul Blazer and EVO. After the merger, you don't see anything like that anymore. All the originality has given way to FF remakes and ports, and now Square is dipping into other franchises for remakes and ports. When their lineup is intersperesed with Final Fatasy remakes, ports and spinoffs and the acting CEO is from Square, I think it's quite ludicrous to suggest that Enix is behind some diabolical plot.

I want Actraiser 3, not FFX-3.

No, I'm not accusing Enix of slowing them down intentionally, but seriously, the merge hasn't done Square any good (except financially, which no one of us cares). As you perfectly said, Enix's only important property of its own is DQ, which for me sucks, but if we want to be polite we can say that it's not renowned for its innovativeness. So if we compare the Square of before and the Square of now, they've lost Sakaguchi, the Xeno team (which went to create the excellent Xenosaga series), now they've lost Matsuno too. And what have they gained? A guy that I'd wish that he never made a game again like Yuuji Horii and his team, and the Tri-Ace IPs, which are great, but would be great anyways with or without Square or Enix. For me it's undeniable that Square lost a lot since say 2000 (the time by which Square was a company that "keeped pumping one amazing game after another, reinventing itself, setting new standars with every game.")