By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shops selling pre owned games and trade in are the future!!

twesterm said:
papflesje said:
Of course I actually don't have a problem with the used games market. Everything else has to put up with it, there's no reason that game developers should be immune to it.

Well, I can understand their complaints when the movie industry gets sales from different perspectives: more expensive rental copies, theaters, dvd's, blu-rays and such.

Games have 1) sales... that's it.

If you then lose (let's just put a figure up) 20k in pre-owned sales, that's quite the income you then lose.

They should come up with a system to allow people to rent games for example, so that they can make sure that it also brings in cash for the industry itself.

...you can rent games though.  I don't have a clue if it works the same as movies where a place like Blockbuster has to pay more for the game but I always assumed they did.

Well, i'm from the country where renting will soon be illegal, and I've talked to owners from similar places like Blockbuster, and they say that they buy their games straight off the retailer (not from a regular shop, the step before that) for about half the price of what a normal gamer would pay in the store, and they rent out those copies.  So they do not pay more for those rental copies.  They just go and buy a regular copy and rent it out.  So in fact there is no system in place that would "soften the financial blow" for developers.

Around the Network

Well, I'm going to continue to buy a few pre owned games but if i ever hear any news stating that companies are struggling because of the pre owned market then I stop ; to save the Industry I love.

Check amazon uk, most of the time they have incredible prices, you can get Gears of War there for £17 (it is a classic anyway). In June I managed to pick up Mass Effect and Ace Combat 6 for £40, brand new, without defrauding the industry by taking away money from the developers, and I also get a brand new game for my collection. The only games that I have bought second hand were old PS2 games, and in a few of those cases, they were game I had already bought, and pretty much unavailable new

I am really impatient so I nearly always get games at launch, but if I don't I'll just get them cheap at amazon, they always offer really good prices, I believe GTA IV is £25 there now

Oh yes, and Uncharted does have replay value. There are loads of bonus things that Naughty Dog added in, such as different costumes, and different filters, as well as making of videos. Of course now there are also trophies, but before that there were just in game achievement points, which can give you other bonuses, such as weapon select and eventually one hit kill and infinite ammo. The game is so good it is worth a second playthrough anyway (overall I have probably spent about 25 hours on the game)

Munkeh111 said:
Oh yes, and Uncharted does have replay value. There are loads of bonus things that Naughty Dog added in, such as different costumes, and different filters, as well as making of videos. Of course now there are also trophies, but before that there were just in game achievement points, which can give you other bonuses, such as weapon select and eventually one hit kill and infinite ammo. The game is so good it is worth a second playthrough anyway (overall I have probably spent about 25 hours on the game)

Just in general things like that don't add replay value for the vast majority of people.  For a game like Uncharted most people won't play it more than once and most of those people won't even finish finish it.

And I know you've played it 500 bajillion but you're not most people.