By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Real life graphic

I'm dissapointed by this gen's graphics I thought they would be better than this

Around the Network
lightbleeder said:
I'm dissapointed by this gen's graphics I thought they would be better than this

Agree. This gen was a step forward like PSone - N64.

If this gen was like PSone - PS2 we would be seeing amazing graphics. Crysis would be the standart for any minimal game.

This is the last gen before really realistic looking graphics,of course it takes more than the hardware,it takes the developer wanting to add those types of graphics....

Hephaestos said:
Never... do you imagine what real life means? it's the ability to zoom in infinitely and still see details.

That is, if there is ever a need in a game to zoom in infinitely.  And where is it shown that matter can be zoomed in infinitely and still have new detail?  The only thing I know that definitely does that are fractals, which are abstract mathematical models.

For the vast majority of gaming purposes, you will only need to zoom in as far as a Human's eye resolution, which isn't all that spectacular.  The real problem is modeling chaotic imperfections that are in reality and having the interact realistically.  I would say 10 - 15 years before its indiscernible, and it will be done on PCs (in a tech demo then a game) before its ever done on a console.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

9th gen

Around the Network

i would say wait 25 years or so still every gen they will say it looks like its real but it never does

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

I'm going to say never, because I doubt technology will ever get good enough to present human's that look entirely "real-life". Imagine how hard it would be to get each individual hair strand, every crease/lines/blemish/dots on a persons skin.

But honestly, I'd always prefer games to look like resistance 2 and gears 2 (looks real but there's a distinct element about it that is false) then go for entirely real graphics (say, heavy rain, bad example, seeing as how they don't look human either, but they're trying to go for that).

Then again, we'd probably get to virtual reality (where we're placed in a game) faster than we will get graphics that look real.

I do have to say that I am not sure "Real Life" graphics, while definitely being technologically possible, will be financially possible. The development times would be much larger than they are now, and that means major production cost increases. You will certainly see games themselves costing 80, 90, or $100 on a system that has "real life graphics" (which by extension will require real life physics, AI, etc etc etc) as a standard

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Is this real enough for you:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYgLFt5wfP4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYgLFt5wfP4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lightbleeder said:

Some games, like MGS4, Crysis and Uncharted are a huge leap forward from the 6th Gen.

But it's true. A lot of developers just don't want real life graphics- just look at 'cartoonish' graphics like in Eternal Sonata or Valkyria Chronicles.

It's probably possible now, but most developers don't want to waste the time doing it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective