By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do the Japanese hate PSP software?

Can someone explain to me how 5.8 million PSP owners only buy 24k software in a week? Please don't call me a troll again, I just want some answers.

Around the Network

You can´t handle the answers.

Look at the best games. They are geared toward NA/Euro, i really see PSP as a much more Na/Euro product then a Japanese one.

I responded in the Japanese weekly sales, but I'll do it again:

Homebrew/Hacking. I'm not sure if it is that popular in Japan, but that is a big reason PSP software oftentimes under performs.

The PSP simply doesn't have steady releases of highly anticipated games. Using this weeks chart:

36. Ratched & Clank: Size Matters (4th week)
51. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (22nd week)
76. Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion's War (11th week)
83. Dragonball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road (7th week)
86. Final Fantasy II PSP (7th week)
101. Bleach: Heat the Soul 4 (9th week)
103. Hot Shots Golf Course Vol. 1 (8th week)
128. Monster Hunter Freedom (86th week)
137. Final Fantasy PSP (14th week)
147. Final Fantasy PSPSmash Court Tennis 3 (5th week)
148. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Alliance vs Zaft Portable (16th week)
150. Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 2 (16th week)
182. Everybodys Golf Portable (137th week)

Around the Network
Quickdraw McGraw said:
I responded in the Japanese weekly sales, but I'll do it again:

Homebrew/Hacking. I'm not sure if it is that popular in Japan, but that is a big reason PSP software oftentimes under performs.

That doesn't explain why the PS3's software totals are also very poor. I think the answer is that people really are buying these as multi-media devices in Japan. Logically, if only, say, 40 percent of your reason for buying a system is to play games, then you may only buy 40 percent as many games as someone who bought a system entirely for video game software.

This would also explain why the US/EU software sales are better, as well. There is very little evidence that US/EU people put much value in Blu-Ray/Photo playback/any other additional function; as such, the PS3/PSPs software sales are reasonable in those regions, as people largely buy the PS3/PSP to play games -- and thus they do just that, and buy more games. Just my hypothesis!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I dont know why the psp is selling bad software there. Really it doesnt make sense.

mM

Well ,in Japan there are far fewer games released for the PSP compared to EU/USA .Games as GTA ,Rainbow Six ,Daxter ,Puzzle Quest ,Diner Dash ,Medal of Honor ,Call of Duty and many others just arent released over there .I am still somewhat amazed that they have released Ratchet and Clank Size Matters over there .

Besides ,the chart doesnt show still some games .Final Fantasy Tactics must be around there as well .

PSP games sell well in Japan when a big game lanches or there are anime conversions ,other than that the sales seem flat .In numbers it wouldnt be so bad ,but in face of DS numbers it sure looks crap .

DO the Japanese really hate PSP software???

my response ya think!!

Diomedes1976 said:
Well ,in Japan there are far fewer games released for the PSP compared to EU/USA .Games as GTA ,Rainbow Six ,Daxter ,Puzzle Quest ,Diner Dash ,Medal of Honor ,Call of Duty and many others just arent released over there .I am still somewhat amazed that they have released Ratchet and Clank Size Matters over there .

Besides ,the chart doesnt show still some games .Final Fantasy Tactics must be around there as well .

PSP games sell well in Japan when a big game lanches or there are anime conversions ,other than that the sales seem flat .In numbers it wouldnt be so bad ,but in face of DS numbers it sure looks crap .

There are also many games released on the PSP that are Japan-centric, and haven't been released over here. Monster Hunter Freedom (And MHF2) is a great example, so I don't think your "only US/EU games are on the PSP" theory holds much  water. Of course it looks like that to you, you're in the EU! It's hard to know what games have been released on the platform in Japan without really looking. 

And the PSP attach ratios aren't just bad to compared to the DS -- they're just plain awful, no matter how you slice it. The attach ratio thus far in its lifetime is under two Japan. Two games per system is nearly unprecedented, I believe. For comparison:

The 360 has an attach rate of 3.3 in Japan
The DS has an attach rate of 4.0
The Wii has an attach rate of  2.38 (which is particularly telling, because average attach rates tend to increase over a system's life span, and the Wii is already beyond the PSP)
The PS2 has an attach rate of 5.5

There is only one system that I can find that has a lower attach ratio than the PSP:

The PS3 has an attach ratio of 1.4 

Now, the PS3 also should see an increasing attach rate, as its hardware sales are slow and more compelling software is released. But the PSP has been out for almost three years, and still being under a 2.0 attach rate is nearly unprecedented, I suspect. The PSP's attach rate isn't just bad relative to the DS: it's bad relative to everything else

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">