By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official Resistance 2 Review Thread!

darthdevidem01 said:
the VAT system in Fallout 3 is revolutionary!!

No, it's not, it's just taken from Fallout and Fallout 2 with slow motion...

Around the Network

the hi tech weapons are lamo

aliens are stupid

http://www.411mania.com/games/reviews/90614/Resistance-2-(PS3)-Review.htm

411mania gave it a 9.1 / 10

Respect for compans: SONY > NINTENDO >>>>>>>>>> MICROSOFT

ZenfoldorVGI said:
The Onion (A.V. Club)
You can't argue with Resistance 2's robust feature set. But the once-relatable, ragtag protagonist Nathan Hale has been transformed into a generic square-jawed action hero, the kind who's been the subject of satire since 1991's Duke Nukem. Clearly Nathan isn't just battling the Chimeran virus; he's also suffering from a severe case of John McClane-itis.

Since when does metacritic track The Onion?

Variety is still the lowest review.

I'm about 5 hours in now, and I must say I'm enjoying the campaign. Critics are definitly being overly harsh. Probably because of all the competition coming out campaignwise.

You have a PS3?

Anyway, IGN AU gave it 9.3:

IGN AU Ratings for Resistance 2 (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
Every element, from menus to matchmaking and smaller in-game details come together with quality and consistency. Character customisation is a great touch too.
9.0 Graphics
Superb sense of scale and excellent use of saturated colour, diffuse lighting and a host of nifty effects. It's not technically as impressive, but the design aesthetic is wonderful.
9.0 Sound
Acting and use of incidental music has improved, and the quality of the surround sound is staggering too. Loving the presidential news updates.
9.0 Gameplay
Resistance 2 does a whole lot very well - even if only a handful of elements really stand out in the genre. Rock-solid and brilliant fun.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
The campaign will take 10 to 12 hours, but co-op extends this incredibly,and the multiplayer modes and extra unlockables greatly boost R2's shelf life.
Outstanding
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

They love the multiplayer, and liken the game to Halo, but they felt it was less immersive than the first (saying the 50s atmosphere didn't feel authentic) and a little too linear.

They said something which bothers me. They said there was no offline co-op or competitive. But there is, isn't there?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
UPDATED!!

its hanging to 90 by a thread now....sorry as the Variety one is "official" it'll have to go on

Variety is owned by Microsoft. Putting it on isn't fair.

Besides, that isn't Variety's score, that's what metacritic THINKS Variety's score is:

"Q: I read Manohla Dargis' review of [MOVIE NAME] and I swear it sounded like a 9... why did you guys say she gave it an 8?

A: Many reviewers include some sort of grade for the movie, album, or game they are reviewing, whether it is on a 5-star scale, a 100-point scale, a letter grade, or other mark. However, plenty of other reviewers choose not to do this. Hey, that's great... they want you to actually read their review rather than just glance at a number. (Personally, we at Metacritic like to read reviews, which is one of the reasons we include a link to every full review on our site.... we want you to read them too!)

However, this does pose a problem for our METASCORE computations, which are based on numbers, not qualitative concepts like art and emotions. (If only all of life were like that!) Thus, our staff must assign a numeric score, from 0-100, to each review that is not already scored by the critic. Naturally, there is some discretion involved here, and there will be times when you disagree with the score we assigned. However, our staffers have read a lot of reviews--and we mean a lot--and thus through experience are able to maintain consistency both from film to film and from reviewer to reviewer. When you read over 200 reviews from Manohla Dargis, you begin to develop a decent idea about when she's indicating a 90 and when she's indicating an 80.

Note, however, that our staff will not attempt to assign super-exact scores like 87 or 43, as doing so would be impossible. Typically, we will work in increments of 10 (so a good review will get a 60, 70, 80, 90, or 100), although in some instances we may also fall halfway in-between (such as a 75)."

its looks good but unfortunatley it is not out in the uk yet it comes out friday

Destructoid gave it a 7.5 (rent it)
http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-resistance-2-112438.phtml

I'm starting to be more and more glad I didn't push another game out of the way to buy this. I'll probably still borrow it from a friend but looks less and less likely like I'll buy it.

> ZenfoldorVGI said:

> Kotaku didn't give a numerical grade, but they said the campaign sucked(basically, called it clumsy, 

> and repetitive with a bad story), and the game was great as an online shooter, only. :P

> http://kotaku.com/5079918/resistance-2-review-cant-fight-this-feeling-anymore

Kotaku's embarrassing excuse for a review was entirely predictable. 

R2 is a dynamite game with fantastic coop and multiplayer, and has one of the better storylines of any shooter in awhile. If you're even the slightest bit into shooters, just buy it, you won't regret it. 

The thing is, the moment I played through it the first time, I knew R2 was going to get a lot of flak from the Brat Pack -- that slice of whiny, noisy, white, male, suburban 20-year-old American shooter fans who want one kind of game, and only one kind of game: Giant Muscled Marines Blowing Up Space Aliens (GMMBUSA). 

What makes the fanboys go crazy (Kotaku, Destructoid, etc.) is that R2 is relentlessly critical of the US Empire and of GMMBUSA's in general: there is no happy ending, the plot grabs you by the throat and never lets you go, and what happens to the US is what happened to the indigenous Americans of 1550-1700 at the hands of colonialism.

If R2 showed Hale ethnically cleansing the very last Chimeran from Earth Colony Centauri Alpha, Kotaku would have given it a 9.5. Fortunately, the game should do well in EU and East Asian markets, where gamers know a little bit more about history, so when all is said and done, Insomniac and videogame fans lucky enough to buy R2 will have the last laugh.

twesterm said:
Destructoid gave it a 7.5 (rent it)
http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-resistance-2-112438.phtml

I'm starting to be more and more glad I didn't push another game out of the way to buy this. I'll probably still borrow it from a friend but looks less and less likely like I'll buy it.

You're not buying R2 because Destructoid, Variety and Edge don't like it? I haven't heard of the first one, I know the second has a deal with Microsoft and I don't like the third's review scale (not to mention they gave it 4/10 lower than the "perfect" Halo 3).