By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1UP.com reviews Resistance 2.

Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
I haven't liked 1UP since they gave an A- to Wii Music.
So, Wii Music is better than Resistance 2? Pfft.

Yes. An alien shooter vs something that hasn't been done before? I would have thought the answer would be obvious. For the record I haven't played either yet. Can't wait to get my hands on both of them in the coming months though.

Army of Two hadn't been done before. Wii Sports hadn't been done before. Lair hadn't been done before.

Does that make them good?

Army of Two had been done before, that's why it was scoring so low with people, and Lair couldn't even get the controls down, which has been done before many times and has always been met with low low review scores.

Also, I haven't even seen Lair being played anywhere, but from what I have seen doesn't it look an awful lot like panzer dragoon?

P.S. Why do you even bother with an avatar from a game which proves the fact that consoles will never have as good games as the PC due to control limitations?

When did I say that I didn't like PC Gaming? I will happily admit that RTS can only work on a PC, and that has been proven time and time again (Populous on PS, Universe at War on 360). EndWar might break that pattern, but we'll see.

Warcraft III is firmly in my top ten favourite games of all time.

And you know what? I don't care. Let people believe that Wii Music is better than Resistance 2 because somebody tells them it is. Let them. I'm happy in my 'ignorance'.

Now you are ignoring the problem completely by focusing on a postscript. I also forgot to mention that Gears of War was where Army of Two got its base idea from.

Either post low scoring, never before done games that were executed well, or just let it be.

And exactly how do you know it was executed well? Have you played it?

If not, you know no more about it than I do. The difference is that you're basing this on one review, while I am basing it on 14.

Neither of us can really know about this game until we have played it. The majority of the media seems to dislike it, and 1UP is a clear anomaly to this.

I have also not played Resistance 2. However, instead of being at the top in ratings, it is at the bottom.

These are facts. My conclusions are opinion. Disregard them if you want.

I'm not basing it on just one, no reviews are bashing the executiono of the game. I haven't heard of any problems with controls, AI, Physics, or any other mechanics. Just whining and bitching about content when they obviously aren't the target audience.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

"Game reviews are all based on how hyped a game is, and how much a company wants to pay the site/ magazine for advertising. Sure the writters can say they don't get money hatted, but their boss sure as hell does."

I guess that is why all the mainstream news channels seemed to start becoming more favorable to McCain and Palin following the $700,000,000 bailout.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

At the end of the day though IGN and Play magazine are two of the only worthwhile sources for games and you have to applaud IGN for giving a 9.5 to a couple of games that deserve those scores like Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 and a 5.0 to one that also deserves that score even though it might be on a more popular console at the moment.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

"Yes. An alien shooter vs something that hasn't been done before? I would have thought the answer would be obvious."

Yes, it should be obvious especially when one of the games is one of the very best alien shooters on the market and the thing that hasn't been done before is video game ga ga.

They gave Wii music 9/10 their opinion does not matter.

Around the Network

1UP fanboys

1up sucks balls.

I think the scores that 1UP gave Resistance2 was fine. The translations that Metacritic does for a percentage score are a bit flawed.

Here is the score translation from 1UP to Metacritic, and recent games that received these scores. Is most cases for game that got a B or below, these scores are the absolute lowest for the games on Metacritic. An average game is a C/C+ for 1UP. That translates to a horrible game in Metacritic. (50-58%)

My advise is to read the 1UP review and score, and to ignore the Metacritic score translation.

A+ = 100 (LBP)
A = 100 (Fable 2, Fallout 3, Bioshock)
A- = 91 (GH:WT)
B+ = 83% (Resistance 2, Far Cry 2)
B = 75% (Midnight Club LA)
B- = 67% (Sam & Max Wii)
C+ = 58% (Spider Man Web of Shadows)
C= 50% (Crash Bandicoot: Mind of Mutant)
C- = 42% (Blitz II: The League)
D+ = 33% (War World)
D = 25% (Golden Axe:Beast Rider)
D- = 13%(Monster Madness: Grave Danger)
F = 0% (Vampire Rain: Altered Species)

Personally, I find the score a little cheeky.

To give R2 a B+ means they reckon it's a 85% game.  Which means they reckon it's not a AAA title for the PS3.

Whereas they feel that the following games deserve the following scores:

• Fallout 3 - 95% (A)
  • Motorstorm Pacific Rift - 90% (A-)
  • Bioshock - 95% (A)
  • Baja - 85% (B+)
  • Mercenaries 2 - 85% (B+)

They mention the graphics as being the weak point and mention motion blur...which the game has in abundance...

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

wow so when a Sony game gets loads of high scores from IGN and the others everything is ok. But one good score from 1UP makes them unworthy, i've read the review it was not bashing a game without reason (like IGN Review of Wii Music), it just had different opinions. I do enjoy watching good damage control (which is silly because B+ is still a good game right?)